The Student Room Group

Physics a level needed for Cambridge computer science?

Hi everyone :smile:
I was just wondering if you thought that having Chemistry, biology, maths and further maths A-level gives me a chance to get into Cambridge to study Computer science? I've seen on their website that certain colleges (like trinity) say that 'ideally candidates should offer physics A-level', so do you think that I should maybe reconsider my a level options (I am in year 11 right now)? Thank you
Reply 1
Hi,I also want to study computer science in Cambridge, I am also in year 11. My sister has applied to Cambridge (she is year 13) for computer science and so far has gotten an interview. Her A levels were Maths ,Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science. I'm not sure if its necessary to have the recommended A levels, although I believe it does help. If you do not do these subjects for A levels, or do not get the opportunity to, you should probably find a way to show your interest and commitment this subject outside of school, like completing online courses or teaching yourself programming languages or computing competitions ect, to make yourself a more competitive applicant. If you want to do computer science, does your school not offer computer science A level? Is computer science one of your GCSE choices?
Reply 2
Original post by LPR05
Hi,I also want to study computer science in Cambridge, I am also in year 11. My sister has applied to Cambridge (she is year 13) for computer science and so far has gotten an interview. Her A levels were Maths ,Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science. I'm not sure if its necessary to have the recommended A levels, although I believe it does help. If you do not do these subjects for A levels, or do not get the opportunity to, you should probably find a way to show your interest and commitment this subject outside of school, like completing online courses or teaching yourself programming languages or computing competitions ect, to make yourself a more competitive applicant. If you want to do computer science, does your school not offer computer science A level? Is computer science one of your GCSE choices?

Hi, thank you for your reply. I am still not 100% set on doing computer science, so I do not want to take it as an A-level, as it would limit my choices for other degrees in case i change my mind. Cambridge says that chemistry A-level is useful as well, so I'm hoping that chemistry, maths and further maths and biology are good useful subjects. I am currently learning python online and really enjoy it so I hope to learn more language in the future and do small projects which would help my personal statement. Which A-levels are you planning on doing?
Original post by Nelinha.
Hi everyone :smile:
I was just wondering if you thought that having Chemistry, biology, maths and further maths A-level gives me a chance to get into Cambridge to study Computer science? I've seen on their website that certain colleges (like trinity) say that 'ideally candidates should offer physics A-level', so do you think that I should maybe reconsider my a level options (I am in year 11 right now)? Thank you

Hey :biggrin:
Looking at Cambridge's website for CompSci and what each college want's (College Requirements) It appears as if they only require Maths or (and) Further Maths, you can take a peak and see what each individual college requires. Also don't force yourself to take Physics if you feel like you might not enjoy it, although it is really interesting :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Afrrcyn
Hey :biggrin:
Looking at Cambridge's website for CompSci and what each college want's (College Requirements) It appears as if they only require Maths or (and) Further Maths, you can take a peak and see what each individual college requires. Also don't force yourself to take Physics if you feel like you might not enjoy it, although it is really interesting :smile:

Hi, thank you for your help!
No it's not necessary in general. Some colleges might add more specific requirements but you can simply not apply to those colleges...
Reply 6
Original post by Nelinha.
Hi, thank you for your reply. I am still not 100% set on doing computer science, so I do not want to take it as an A-level, as it would limit my choices for other degrees in case i change my mind. Cambridge says that chemistry A-level is useful as well, so I'm hoping that chemistry, maths and further maths and biology are good useful subjects. I am currently learning python online and really enjoy it so I hope to learn more language in the future and do small projects which would help my personal statement. Which A-levels are you planning on doing?

I am probably going to do maths, further maths, physics and computer science, although I’m not completely sure. If I get into Kclms then I’ll only get to do an AS level computer science (and maths, further maths and physics full A level) as they don’t offer the full computer science A level.
Original post by LPR05
I am probably going to do maths, further maths, physics and computer science, although I’m not completely sure. If I get into Kclms then I’ll only get to do an AS level computer science (and maths, further maths and physics full A level) as they don’t offer the full computer science A level.

Do you think physics is a must for computer science degrees at say Kings or UCL? I enjoy physics more than economics but I think economics might be an easier A'level so I'm thinking of doing math, further maths, computer science and economics.
Reply 8
Original post by Maths geek 2020
Do you think physics is a must for computer science degrees at say Kings or UCL? I enjoy physics more than economics but I think economics might be an easier A'level so I'm thinking of doing math, further maths, computer science and economics.

Neither physics or economics is a must if you want to study computer science at university, but I think physics is more useful than economics. Having read about a few universities, I know they appreciate physics a level and it helps your application, and I’ve haven’t really read that universities care for an economics A level if you want to pursue computer science. That said, physics is still not needed. My sister did physics, maths, fm, and computer science and has received an offer from KCL. Although even without physics I think you could still easily get an offer, depending on how good your grades are. Also which subject is easier depends on the person, I know someone who took both, but found cs easier.
(edited 3 years ago)
I am also in y11 and I'm taking computer science as an a-level, but I'm worried because none of my subjects compliment it that well ( I chose English lit, German and Comp Sc ) Does it matter if they compliment? I didn't think of this until recently
Hey, it just depends on what degree option you want to do... however I would recommended maths to compliment CS because universities always require maths for CS but not actually Conputer Science (at a level)
Do you think physics is preferred for computer science at other Russell group unis? I am thinking of taking maths, further maths, economics and computer science. I love physics but I’m choosing economics because I find it very easy. But I don’t want to reduce my chances, as I heard they usually choose 150 out of 2,000 students!
Original post by Maths geek 2020
Do you think physics is preferred for computer science at other Russell group unis? I am thinking of taking maths, further maths, economics and computer science. I love physics but I’m choosing economics because I find it very easy. But I don’t want to reduce my chances, as I heard they usually choose 150 out of 2,000 students!

Hey,

Yes, to be blunt, it is preferred. Some Cambridge colleges even require it (but you could just not reply to those courses).

But frankly if you are doing Maths, FM and CompSci, that is a great combination and you may as well do something you enjoy for your fourth. If I’m honest I think the reason universities like physics for CS is because they LIKE to say that they can teach you from scratch, and that doing a few facilitating subjects will keep doors open etc. However if you are certain if doing CS, and you enjoy economics, I would say go for it!

It will come much more down to your alevels , interview and possible STEP etc as to whether you are accepted, not whether you did physics!

I think it’s a bit weird how they prefer physics because all of the maths in it is in maths ... but hey, who knows why?

Hope this helps.
Also it is worth noting that some Cambridge colleges who prefer physics say that ‘Maths Further Maths and CompSci is an acceptable alternative to Maths FM and physics’
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending