The Student Room Group

UNIQ 2021 Applicants thread (2022 entry)

:blow:Welcome All...To the UNIQ 2021 Applicants thread! :dance:

So...I don't know whether there is already a similar thread to this or this is actually a thing, but I guess it is now! :tongue:

This thread is to sort of get to further know each other, away from the applications sort of side of Oxbridge, as at the end of this year it'll be our time to stress about admissions tests, interviews and offers for 2022 entry! :hide: :biggrin:

Right, let's start with the basics:

1. Why UNIQ, what are you hoping to get out of it?

2. What course(s) have you applied to?

3. On a separate note, what college are you thinking about applying to?

Key dates (Taken from UNIQ website):

Spoiler

Web links:

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bookworm_88

So...I don't know whether there is already a similar thread to this or this is actually a thing, but I guess it is now! :tongue:

This thread is to sort of get to further know each other, away from the applications sort of side, as at the end of this year it'll be our time to stress about admissions tests, interviews and offers! :hide: :biggrin:

Spoiler

@Bookworm_88

Don't know why I would kill you... I mean, I like students, but I couldn't eat a whole one...

I really love the idea of students coming on here to swap stories, network, support each other. It's also wonderful to witness the joy when people get accepted and, even better, if they get an offer at the end of it.

Let's have your experiences, one and all, and if you do apply to Oxford, don't forget to join the Oxford 2022 thread!

I don't know if you have posted it and I have missed it, but here is the general UNIQ thread:

https://www.uniq.ox.ac.uk/

This scheme is for state educated students only and you need to have attained certain grades to get in.

https://www.uniq.ox.ac.uk/selectioncriteria

This is an excellent scheme, and one I highly recommend. Because of its popularity, not everyone will get in, but why not try?

If you don't make it, don't worry. There are still many wonderful free schemes, like Target Oxbridge (BAME students only) or Zero Gravity to apply to.

Even if you don't get into any of the schemes, you can still make it to Oxford.

If you want to have a look at Oxford colleges, here is the Oxford Demystified chapter on Choosing a College

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6468778&p=88379572#post88379572

Lots of websites and video tours included!

Good luck everyone, and please tag me in, Bookworm, when people start getting places.
Original post by Oxford Mum
@Bookworm_88

Don't know why I would kill you... I mean, I like students, but I couldn't eat a whole one...

I really love the idea of students coming on here to swap stories, network, support each other. It's also wonderful to witness the joy when people get accepted and, even better, if they get an offer at the end of it.

Let's have your experiences, one and all, and if you do apply to Oxford, don't forget to join the Oxford 2022 thread!

I don't know if you have posted it and I have missed it, but here is the general UNIQ thread:

https://www.uniq.ox.ac.uk/

This scheme is for state educated students only and you need to have attained certain grades to get in.

https://www.uniq.ox.ac.uk/selectioncriteria

This is an excellent scheme, and one I highly recommend. Because of its popularity, not everyone will get in, but why not try?

If you don't make it, don't worry. There are still many wonderful free schemes, like Target Oxbridge (BAME students only) or Zero Gravity to apply to.

Even if you don't get into any of the schemes, you can still make it to Oxford.

If you want to have a look at Oxford colleges, here is the Oxford Demystified chapter on Choosing a College

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6468778&p=88379572#post88379572

Lots of websites and video tours included!

Good luck everyone, and please tag me in, Bookworm, when people start getting places.

Thanks for the boost! :biggrin:
Will do!

This thread is to sort of get to further know each other, away from the applications sort of side of Oxbridge, as at the end of this year it'll be our time to stress about admissions tests, interviews and offers for 2022 entry! :hide: :biggrin:

Spoiler

hi! i have applied for earth sciences with physics as my second choice

im sort of using uniq as a way to find out if i actually want to go to oxford - at the moment i dont want to as they dont offer a year abroad but everyone is pushing me towards oxford and if i love uniq enough i might change my mind

if i apply to oxford i would apply for worcester college :smile:
Original post by abbie3108
hi! i have applied for earth sciences with physics as my second choice

im sort of using uniq as a way to find out if i actually want to go to oxford - at the moment i dont want to as they dont offer a year abroad but everyone is pushing me towards oxford and if i love uniq enough i might change my mind

if i apply to oxford i would apply for worcester college :smile:

Earth sciences!
Same, I'm not sure if I want to apply, on the same basis as you!
I also quite liked worcester :five:

Spoiler

awh no dont close the thread, i’m sure more people will reply soon!
what subject have you applied for?
When is the closing date? And when are the results coming out?
When is the closing date? And when are the results coming out?

the deadline for applications is the 15th of march and they say we should hear results on the 2nd of april :smile:
awh no dont close the thread, i’m sure more people will reply soon!
what subject have you applied for?

Biology 🐧🌳
the deadline for applications is the 15th of march and they say we should hear results on the 2nd of april :smile:

Hopefully this thread will get more interest later on, then.

I certainly wish you the best of luck.
Biology 🐧🌳

I think if you get a place, you should use this thread to tell us more about the programme, plus your impressions.

I would love to know all about it.

Plus, have you met @Scotney? Her son read Biology at Oxford.
I think if you get a place, you should use this thread to tell us more about the programme, plus your impressions.

I would love to know all about it.

Plus, have you met @Scotney? Her son read Biology at Oxford.

Yeah, that's a good idea. To be honest, I wasn't 100% where this thread was going anyway 😅

No, I don't think I have.:no:
Yeah, that's a good idea. To be honest, I wasn't 100% where this thread was going anyway 😅

No, I don't think I have.:no:

Let's see if we can magic her onto the thread. She is a very helpful and kind person.
Reply 13
Hi, I have applied for PPE as first choice and theology as a second preference; I am feeling quite skeptical, in terms of whether I will get accepted as my GCSE results aren't the best: as I have one 9, two 8's, three 6's and three 5's. Also, for a-levels, I am currently studying philosophy, politics, and sociology alongside an EPQ with a prediction of A*AA?

Do I stand a chance?
Original post by Cdot15
Hi, I have applied for PPE as first choice and theology as a second preference; I am feeling quite skeptical, in terms of whether I will get accepted as my GCSE results aren't the best: as I have one 9, two 8's, three 6's and three 5's. Also, for a-levels, I am currently studying philosophy, politics, and sociology alongside an EPQ with a prediction of A*AA?

Do I stand a chance?

your gcse results definitely arent bad so you at least have a chance, although i would say it depends on your personal circumstances eg. are you eligible for free school meals and did either of your parents go to university as they would prioritise less privileged people
Hey 2021 cohort :smile:

My eldest daughter was in the 2019 for physics. If its online, then I imagine the lectures/tutorials will be (special relativity, dimentional analysis, super conductivity, astrophysics) https://users.physics.ox.ac.uk/~huffman/MPhys/UNIQ/uniq2019.html Labs also can be done online. Daughters at a different uni, but labs are online at present there, so Oxford will do something similar. She also made some good friends, 2 of them were on the 2019 UNIQ thread on TSR, so definitely worth chatting on here :smile:
Reply 16
your gcse results definitely arent bad so you at least have a chance, although i would say it depends on your personal circumstances eg. are you eligible for free school meals and did either of your parents go to university as they would prioritise less privileged people

I do come from a disadvantaged background but was never offered free school meals for some reason and one of my parents went to university; but the university was not in the UK, so they don't really know how the education system works here.
Original post by Cdot15

Do I stand a chance?

It depends on how competitive the PPE course is this year. Selection is also based upon socio-economic background. (Edit: Just seen your post below)

Original post by Cdot15
I do come from a disadvantaged background but was never offered free school meals for some reason and one of my parents went to university; but the university was not in the UK, so they don't really know how the education system works here.

In that case, I guess you still have a chance. You could check out what ACORN your postcode is (How 'rich' your area is) or what quintile your postcode is
To check your ACORN: https://acorn.caci.co.uk/ (You do have to sign up beforehand to use it)
To check your quintile: https://www.officeforstudents.org.uk/data-and-analysis/young-participation-by-area/search-by-postcode/

I am presuming you've already had a look at the selection criteria (https://www.uniq.ox.ac.uk/selectioncriteria)

Any relevant web links, I have now put in the OP :yes:
Original post by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Hey 2021 cohort :smile:

My eldest daughter was in the 2019 for physics. If its online, then I imagine the lectures/tutorials will be (special relativity, dimentional analysis, super conductivity, astrophysics) https://users.physics.ox.ac.uk/~huffman/MPhys/UNIQ/uniq2019.html Labs also can be done online. Daughters at a different uni, but labs are online at present there, so Oxford will do something similar. She also made some good friends, 2 of them were on the 2019 UNIQ thread on TSR, so definitely worth chatting on here :smile:

Hi!
Thanks for that! Do you mind if I put that link in the OP, as an exemplar programme?
Hi!
Thanks for that! Do you mind if I put that link in the OP, as an exemplar programme?

Of course no problem. For previous years, just replace the year part in the link address :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending