The Student Room Group

Law

Hey! I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice please? I am a year 12 student currently undecided about what degree to do. I am considering either studying Law, Business or both. My A level choices are: Business, Economics, Politics and Finance. I am also doing an EPQ. I have done a vast array of extra and super circular activities too. I know that for my top choice I want to apply to study Law at Cambridge, however, I am unsure about my other choices. I would also love to study abroad in America or Australia (Covid has driven me insane being stuck indoors for so long without being able to travel). I love studying Business at a level and I am very good at it. I also seem to have a passion for law due to the numerous things I have done such as partaking in a Mock Bar Trial as a barrister, reading law books, work experience and being highly commended in an Oxford essay competition for Corpus Christi college. However, the one thing that is holding me back about law is a) will I enjoy it, b) will I burn out (I am extremely hard working and I struggle sometimes with a school and home life balance) and c) will it be too difficult? It is hard finding a course to meet all my requirements. I am also unsure as to whether I want to be a solicitor or have a managerial or business consultant role in the future. The perfect course would probably be Law with Business with Study Abroad but that doesn't exist. Thank you so much in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Warwick offer this course with a study abroad option

https://warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses-2021/lawbusinessstudies/
Reply 2
Original post by wizkid44
Warwick offer this course with a study abroad option

https://warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses-2021/lawbusinessstudies/

Thank you so much! Do you know if it would qualify me to not have to do the GDL?
Original post by ellwag
Thank you so much! Do you know if it would qualify me to not have to do the GDL?

It says that if you opt for the 4 year course then it will be a qualifying law degree. No problem!
Original post by ellwag
Hey! I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice please? I am a year 12 student currently undecided about what degree to do. I am considering either studying Law, Business or both. My A level choices are: Business, Economics, Politics and Finance. I am also doing an EPQ. I have done a vast array of extra and super circular activities too. I know that for my top choice I want to apply to study Law at Cambridge, however, I am unsure about my other choices. I would also love to study abroad in America or Australia (Covid has driven me insane being stuck indoors for so long without being able to travel). I love studying Business at a level and I am very good at it. I also seem to have a passion for law due to the numerous things I have done such as partaking in a Mock Bar Trial as a barrister, reading law books, work experience and being highly commended in an Oxford essay competition for Corpus Christi college. However, the one thing that is holding me back about law is a) will I enjoy it, b) will I burn out (I am extremely hard working and I struggle sometimes with a school and home life balance) and c) will it be too difficult? It is hard finding a course to meet all my requirements. I am also unsure as to whether I want to be a solicitor or have a managerial or business consultant role in the future. The perfect course would probably be Law with Business with Study Abroad but that doesn't exist. Thank you so much in advance :smile:

hey, where did you find work experience during covid or the mock bar trial?
Reply 5
Original post by raufmishaal
hey, where did you find work experience during covid or the mock bar trial?

Hey! The mock bar trial was through my school, however, I found a website which is https://www.theforage.com that has lots of law virtual work experience programs you can complete in your own time. I’m guessing you want to study law too? Where are you considering?
Hi! I know that both UCL and KCL offer study abroad years in their LLBs - LSE is good for a business/commercial oriented LLB, unsure if they have any study abroad options.
Oxbridge is notoriously bad for work/life balance, although arguably this is setting you up for a career at the bar should that be your chosen path. In my personal experience, KCL and UCL are great for a healthy balance of work and social life, allowing time to work or be involved with extracurriculars.
Whether you will enjoy it at the end of the day comes down to you! From your experiences it seems that you it might be the right subject, especially with a focus on commerical areas. Perhaps looking into a degree like PPL etc might be an option if you remain unsure? Or, looking at some first year content (contract, criminal, public, eu law) as this is usually quite simple and offers a good reflection of what you might expect.

Re: an earlier comment about requiring a GDL, nearly all LLBs are qualifying degrees, whether expedited 2 year or longer 4 year courses.
Reply 7
Original post by Nightwish1234
Hi! I know that both UCL and KCL offer study abroad years in their LLBs - LSE is good for a business/commercial oriented LLB, unsure if they have any study abroad options.
Oxbridge is notoriously bad for work/life balance, although arguably this is setting you up for a career at the bar should that be your chosen path. In my personal experience, KCL and UCL are great for a healthy balance of work and social life, allowing time to work or be involved with extracurriculars.
Whether you will enjoy it at the end of the day comes down to you! From your experiences it seems that you it might be the right subject, especially with a focus on commerical areas. Perhaps looking into a degree like PPL etc might be an option if you remain unsure? Or, looking at some first year content (contract, criminal, public, eu law) as this is usually quite simple and offers a good reflection of what you might expect.

Re: an earlier comment about requiring a GDL, nearly all LLBs are qualifying degrees, whether expedited 2 year or longer 4 year courses.

Thank you so much! That’s really useful and refreshing to here.
Are you currently at university then studying law? If so, which one do you go to?
Original post by ellwag
Thank you so much! That’s really useful and refreshing to here.
Are you currently at university then studying law? If so, which one do you go to?

I graduated from my Law LLB at KCL in 2019 (which I studied intercollegiate at UCL), and LLM in Medical Law and Ethics at Edinburgh in 2020. :smile:
For my undergrad I had offers from Oxford, LSE, QMUL and Exeter.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
I graduated from my Law LLB at KCL in 2019 (which I studied intercollegiate at UCL), and LLM in Medical Law and Ethics at Edinburgh in 2020. :smile:
For my undergrad I had offers from Oxford, LSE, QMUL and Exeter.

Wow that’s amazing! Congratulations! I’m considering Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Exeter, Warwick, KCL and Manchester. I’m also looking into Durham and QMUL.

I’m guessing the workload was a deterrent against Oxford? The power you hold turning them down! Are you working for a law firm now?
Original post by ellwag
Wow that’s amazing! Congratulations! I’m considering Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Exeter, Warwick, KCL and Manchester. I’m also looking into Durham and QMUL.

I’m guessing the workload was a deterrent against Oxford? The power you hold turning them down! Are you working for a law firm now?

I made my decision based on the atmosphere of the city and university - London suited my personality better! From my experience most work applications are blind marked, so the university you went to is immaterial. Of course, the quality of the teaching and contacts you can make will be better at some universities than others, influencing the strength of your application - but name is not everything. Between those universities, I'd look at which offers the best teaching in areas you are interested in - some universities allow you to get involved in research and publishing papers, which is quite cool!
I am presently applying for pupillage, as I had to take a year out to save up for the BPTC - my focus is on clinical negligence and personal injury. I quite enjoy mooting and debating, making practicing as a barrister seem the natural career progression for me.
Reply 11
I made my decision based on the atmosphere of the city and university - London suited my personality better! From my experience most work applications are blind marked, so the university you went to is immaterial. Of course, the quality of the teaching and contacts you can make will be better at some universities than others, influencing the strength of your application - but name is not everything. Between those universities, I'd look at which offers the best teaching in areas you are interested in - some universities allow you to get involved in research and publishing papers, which is quite cool!
I am presently applying for pupillage, as I had to take a year out to save up for the BPTC - my focus is on clinical negligence and personal injury. I quite enjoy mooting and debating, making practicing as a barrister seem the natural career progression for me.

That sounds like such a mature and wise approach to narrowing down and choosing your university choices. Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom. It is genuinely really useful.

London is amazing. I’d love to live and work there in the future.
Becoming a barrister does sound like the natural progression. I’m sure you will be amazing. I know of a few people recently sworn into the inns of courts and I’m lucky to have worked with a QC in preparing for the MOOT competition that our school takes part in. I wish you the best of luck in the future.
Original post by ellwag
That sounds like such a mature and wise approach to narrowing down and choosing your university choices. Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom. It is genuinely really useful.

London is amazing. I’d love to live and work there in the future.
Becoming a barrister does sound like the natural progression. I’m sure you will be amazing. I know of a few people recently sworn into the inns of courts and I’m lucky to have worked with a QC in preparing for the MOOT competition that our school takes part in. I wish you the best of luck in the future.

Of course, happy to help!
I'm sure you will do well, having prepared this much already in year 12 - good luck!
Original post by ellwag
Hey! The mock bar trial was through my school, however, I found a website which is https://www.theforage.com that has lots of law virtual work experience programs you can complete in your own time. I’m guessing you want to study law too? Where are you considering?

is the work experience just for university students or can sixth form students do it too?
Reply 14
Original post by rola05
is the work experience just for university students or can sixth form students do it too?

Hiya! It's for both university and sixth form students. When you sign up to the work experience, based off your age it will allocate you to the correct work experience.
Original post by ellwag
Hiya! It's for both university and sixth form students. When you sign up to the work experience, based off your age it will allocate you to the correct work experience.

thank you so much for showing us this website i really needed it :-) Im in year 12 and really needed something for my personal statement later on.
Original post by ellwag

Thank you so much! And im consdering LSE for anthropology with law but its early days ahah, hby :smile:
Thank you so much! And im consdering LSE for anthropology with law but its early days ahah, hby :smile:

ik this aint for me but I'm in yr 12 and want to go to
-kcl
-ucl
-nottingham
-warwick
-Lse
Even though its still kinda early,ig the idea of studying in London is rlly cool haha
Original post by rola05
ik this aint for me but I'm in yr 12 and want to go to
-kcl
-ucl
-nottingham
-warwick
-Lse
Even though its still kinda early,ig the idea of studying in London is rlly cool haha

omg yay thats so cool! make sure you do well on yr 12 mocks so the ucas is good!!
Reply 19

Ooo that sounds interesting. I am considering a mixture of Russell group universities for law or law with business.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending