The Student Room Group

I want to drop out

I’m struggling in my sixth form (I’m forced to do an EPQ and I hate RE) and I’ve told my parents I want to move to college, I’ve applied to a few already but I have a meeting with my head of year next Wednesday and I don’t know what to say to persuade her, and what if she doesn’t let me?
Reply 1
Which qualifications are you studying for at Sixth Form and which ones would you be studying at college?

Have you had any thoughts about what you would like to do as a career?
Reply 2
Original post by Kerzen
Which qualifications are you studying for at Sixth Form and which ones would you be studying at college?

Have you had any thoughts about what you would like to do as a career?

Im in year 12 and doing re, health and social, criminology. I've done h+s before at gcse level and i wanna do it a btec course in it in college, then i'd like to do adult nursing just like my mom
Your head of year can’t force you to stay. If your parents agree then you can leave and go to college
Reply 4
Original post by Binay_G
Im in year 12 and doing re, health and social, criminology. I've done h+s before at gcse level and i wanna do it a btec course in it in college, then i'd like to do adult nursing just like my mom

What do your parents think about what you plan to do?
Reply 5
Original post by Kerzen
What do your parents think about what you plan to do?

they like me being a nurse and everything, but they're upset that i've just wasted a year at sixth form but i absolutely hate it and i want to leave now
Reply 6
Original post by Binay_G
they like me being a nurse and everything, but they're upset that i've just wasted a year at sixth form but i absolutely hate it and i want to leave now

Do you know what the entry requirements are for the nursing degree which you will need to do?
Reply 7
Original post by Kerzen
Do you know what the entry requirements are for the nursing degree which you will need to do?

yea i have a friend that goes to the uni i want to go to and she said i need a DMM
Reply 8
Original post by Binay_G
yea i have a friend that goes to the uni i want to go to and she said i need a DMM

Which one would you like to go to?
Reply 9
Original post by Kerzen
Which one would you like to go to?

wolverhampton university,
anyways what should i say to my head of year next wednesday
Reply 10
Original post by PRECIOUSMORO
Your head of year can’t force you to stay. If your parents agree then you can leave and go to college

oh okay good, but i dont know what to do until september what should i say
Original post by Binay_G

Say that being at SF isn’t beneficial to your future and progression at all and that you’ve researched your path to where you want to be and college will help you do that. But I’m telling you, if you’re over 16 you don’t need any permission to enrol in another school. My sister switched school in y12 on her own.
Original post by Binay_G
oh okay good, but i dont know what to do until september what should i say

You can say you’ll work? Or study? Say that school is over soon and with the current situation you’re not really missing any quality teaching. When ppl dropped out of my school they just stayed enrolled and came and went as they pleased or communicated with their new school to see what they can do to ease the transition
Reply 13
Original post by PRECIOUSMORO
You can say you’ll work? Or study? Say that school is over soon and with the current situation you’re not really missing any quality teaching. When ppl dropped out of my school they just stayed enrolled and came and went as they pleased or communicated with their new school to see what they can do to ease the transition

Is there a way in which I can negotiate and ask if I can continue doing my 2 subjects and stop doing RE and epq? Because my parents don’t think it would be good for my to do nothing till September
Reply 14
Original post by Binay_G

Would this be a possibility for you?

https://www.wlv.ac.uk/courses/bnurs-hons-adult-nursing-with-foundation-year/
Original post by Binay_G
Is there a way in which I can negotiate and ask if I can continue doing my 2 subjects and stop doing RE and epq? Because my parents don’t think it would be good for my to do nothing till September

You can say you’re willing to stay in school and carry on doing A Levels till September and at least that way you have a backup if from summer to sept you change your mind

Quick Reply

Latest