The Student Room Group

gcse re

how to get a 9 in RE?
I got a 9 in RE :smile:. I'm not sure if there are any significant differences between exam boards, but I did AQA religious studies.
Make sure you remember a few quotes from the sacred texts of the religions you're studying. For instance, if you're studying christianity, "love thy neighbour" can be used as evidence for many beliefs. You can basically make up opinions for anything if you manipulate the right quotes.
Find a few quotes for each issue you cover. For instance, one of the topics I studied was beliefs about the environment, so I
On my paper there were questions such as "give two different beliefs concerning abortion." Remember, for these questions you can use a non-religious perspective or two beliefs from the same religion. For example, to answer the example above, you could write that Roman Catholics would oppose abortion because the Bible says something like "God knew you before you were conceived" so life begins at conception, but Anglicans (who tend to take the Bible less literally) might accept abortion if it is the most loving thing to do as the teachings of Jesus were focused on love.
If a question asks for a view with reference to sacred texts, write something like "the Qu'ran says *insert quote* which suggests that Muslims would believe..."
At the start of year 11 I would constantly run out of time while doing practice tests. To avoid that, you do not need to make your answers to 2, 4 and 5 mark questions very detailed. Just state what a group believes, why they believe it, add a quote from a religious book if the question asks for it and move on. The 6 mark questions are the ones that require detail.
I never bothered with an introduction for the 6 mark questions. My answers for those questions took the form of:
1.Paragraph about the opinion of one group of people
2.Paragraph about a different group of people with the opposite opinion.
3.Paragraph about a possible opinion of non-religious people.
3. Conclusion where I included my own opinion on the issue.
If the group of people is a religious group such as Shia Muslims or Protestant Christians, include a quote from their sacred texts as evidence.

Most of RE GCSE is just exam technique, but there are questions on the practices of different religions that you can't just make up an answer to. Use your specification to work out which practices you need to learn about, and spend some time learning them. Make sure you know the significance of each festival and how it's celebrated. Learn the significance of traditions such as Mass and Baptism. Different people memorise information in different ways, but I liked using mind maps to make sure I knew all the necessary information, and then did some practice questions to make sure I could write about them if they came up in an exam.
When doing practice papers, manage your timing. It's very easy to start writing pages for one question and then running out of time to finish the rest if the paper.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Tammie2345524
I got a 9 in RE :smile:. I'm not sure if there are any significant differences between exam boards, but I did AQA religious studies.
Make sure you remember a few quotes from the sacred texts of the religions you're studying. For instance, if you're studying christianity, "love thy neighbour" can be used as evidence for many beliefs. You can basically make up opinions for anything if you manipulate the right quotes.
Find a few quotes for each issue you cover. For instance, one of the topics I studied was beliefs about the environment, so I
On my paper there were questions such as "give two different beliefs concerning abortion." Remember, for these questions you can use a non-religious perspective or two beliefs from the same religion. For example, to answer the example above, you could write that Roman Catholics would oppose abortion because the Bible says something like "God knew you before you were conceived" so life begins at conception, but Anglicans (who tend to take the Bible less literally) might accept abortion if it is the most loving thing to do as the teachings of Jesus were focused on love.
If a question asks for a view with reference to sacred texts, write something like "the Qu'ran says *insert quote* which suggests that Muslims would believe..."
At the start of year 11 I would constantly run out of time while doing practice tests. To avoid that, you do not need to make your answers to 2, 4 and 5 mark questions very detailed. Just state what a group believes, why they believe it, add a quote from a religious book if the question asks for it and move on. The 6 mark questions are the ones that require detail.
I never bothered with an introduction for the 6 mark questions. My answers for those questions took the form of:
1.Paragraph about the opinion of one group of people
2.Paragraph about a different group of people with the opposite opinion.
3.Paragraph about a possible opinion of non-religious people.
3. Conclusion where I included my own opinion on the issue.
If the group of people is a religious group such as Shia Muslims or Protestant Christians, include a quote from their sacred texts as evidence.

Most of RE GCSE is just exam technique, but there are questions on the practices of different religions that you can't just make up an answer to. Use your specification to work out which practices you need to learn about, and spend some time learning them. Make sure you know the significance of each festival and how it's celebrated. Learn the significance of traditions such as Mass and Baptism. Different people memorise information in different ways, but I liked using mind maps to make sure I knew all the necessary information, and then did some practice questions to make sure I could write about them if they came up in an exam.
When doing practice papers, manage your timing. It's very easy to start writing pages for one question and then running out of time to finish the rest if the paper.

Good luck!

6 mark questions?
What’s funny about this is I was getting terrible grades and just wanted a 6 or 7 for re and got a 9!
I think you just need to learn the content and have a structure for each question and practice a little.
The reason is why I say little is because I practiced less than little and got a great grade in the end. I think it’s more to do with structure and content knowledge but practice realky does bring everything together.
Original post by tsukife
6 mark questions?

Which exam board are you doing?
Reply 5
Original post by Tammie2345524
Which exam board are you doing?

aqa
Original post by tsukife
aqa

I looked on AQA'a website, and there's religious studies A and religious studies B. I did A, which has 6 mark essay questions, but the papers for B have 12 mark questions instead. It looks like you approach the essay questions in the same way though, as the questions are structured in exactly the same way. If you're doing B I'd say my advice for the 6 markers would work for the 12 markers.

Quick Reply

Latest