The Student Room Group

Why do some want equal representation

in films, magazines, tv shows, parliament when they only make a fractional percentage of the population of the country they live in?

I am serious and I am one of those fractional people but I don't ask for 50% chunk represention
It's easier for bigoted people to form parasocial relationships with characters on tv than real people (because of their bigotry) and these relationships make them less bigoted. No one asks for 50% representation unless they're a woman, so idk what you mean.
(i don't have a source for these stats but i could find them: about 7% of people are lgbt+ and only about 2 percent of characters are lgbt+ so that might be somewhere lacking in representation, but it's not a quota anyone is trying to get filled and there is no set request for representation.)
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 64Lightbulbs
It's easier for bigoted people to form parasocial relationships with characters on tv than real people (because of their bigotry) and these relationships make them less bigoted. No one asks for 50% representation unless they're a woman, so idk what you mean.

stop lying, we are always asking for more representation, yet we are everywhere on tv and nowhere in most of uk
Original post by kayala
in films, magazines, tv shows, parliament when they only make a fractional percentage of the population of the country they live in?

I am serious and I am one of those fractional people but I don't ask for 50% chunk represention

Could you name any group that makes up a fractional percentage of the population but asks for half of all representation?
Original post by kayala
how many browns do you see on tv compared to who you see walking down the street, at your uni, at your workplace, in your friend group or family?

Oops, nevermind, looks like you're just a racist troll. 😂
Reply 5
Original post by SHallowvale
Oops, nevermind, looks like you're just a racist troll. 😂

oops yourself, I'm a brown and I don't get why there are so few white families on adverts and in tv shows when the real world in England is not a multicultural hot pot like that
Original post by kayala
oops yourself, I'm a brown and I don't get why there are so few white families on adverts and in tv shows when the real world in England is not a multicultural hot pot like that

It's a marketting tool, nothing more.
Reply 7
Original post by kayala

Are people asking for equal representation? My understanding of the moderate argument is that as a general rule of thumb if you aren't a white man you get a pretty raw deal and get less than your proportion of representation. For example, 8% of Britain is Asian yet I don't see a representation of Asian people on TV, in the news, in parliament or on mainstream TV - certainly not 8% worth. Or maybe I am not looking for it?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by hotpud
Are people asking for equal representation? My understanding of the moderate argument is that as a general rule of thumb if you aren't a white man you get a pretty raw deal and get less than your proportion of representation. For example, 8% of Britain is Asian yet I don't see a representation of Asian people on TV, in the news, in parliament or on mainstream TV - certainly not 8% worth. Or maybe I am not looking for it?

well what about the blacks then
Reply 9
Original post by kayala
well what about the blacks then

Don't you mean the All Blacks? They are a pretty good rugby team from New Zealand. I am not really sure what they have to do with representation though.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by kayala
stop lying, we are always asking for more representation, yet we are everywhere on tv and nowhere in most of uk

who is "we"

and can you find a source for a specific request of one of the demographics groups for 50% of all representation?
Reply 11
Original post by 64Lightbulbs
who is "we"

and can you find a source for a specific request of one of the demographics groups for 50% of all representation?

we is us blacks and browns and yellows.

the source is when they get one of us on tv and they are saying we need more representation and then they get a big applause..
Original post by kayala

Trust me, the vast majority of media characters in the UK are white. They have a lot of mixed-race representation at Christmas though.
Reply 13
Original post by Vapordave
Trust me, the vast majority of media characters in the UK are white. They have a lot of mixed-race representation at Christmas though.

why at christmas?
Original post by kayala
why at christmas?

IDK, extra representation points?
Original post by kayala

I wouldn't worry about it. It's only a small minority of people who care about that sort of thing. Most of us don't.
Original post by -Imperator-
I wouldn't worry about it. It's only a small minority of people who care about that sort of thing. Most of us don't.

Sadly a lot of corporations (and other entities besides, but at least corporations face the discipline of the profit/loss test rather than enjoying unlimited budgets etc.) either haven't cottoned onto this or are staffed with PR departments which don't care. Often to their own detriment.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by kayala
we is us blacks and browns and yellows.

the source is when they get one of us on tv and they are saying we need more representation and then they get a big applause..

"we need more representation" is a true statement. I mentioned why before, and I also think someone provided statistics about Asian representation in media earlier in the thread. Do you have a source of someone asking for 50% of representation? Also, you said you were brown so I'm not going, but "yellows" is generally considered a bad term, you might just want to call them Asians. It has very little effect on the real world what word choice you use on the internet, it just makes your arguments seem like they're coming from a racist place.
Reply 18
Original post by kayala

Ironic given you joined TSR in Feb '21.
Reply 19
Original post by Quady
Ironic given you joined TSR in Feb '21.

I don't get where the irony is but whatver u say

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending