The Student Room Group

Birmingham A100 / A101 2021 Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Congrats on your offers guys! If you have any questions about first year/the course me and @a-aron will be happy to answer
Congrats everyone!!!
Original post by tampa.b
thank you! so if your school is on their list of contexual schools do you know if that automatically makes you a contexual applicant?

not necessarily, if you get accepted to the A2B scheme then definitely. However, if you meet certain criteria such as your postcode and if you had free school meals or if you were in the first generation of your family to go uni.
this is copied from the UOB website:
How we identify a contextual school
We use published school performance data to identify contextual schools. It is important to note that about 90% of state schools are included.

Contextual thresholds
GCSEs

Contextual measure: Attainment 8 (average score per pupil)
Score for inclusion: <54.8
A Levels

Contextual measure: QCA points per A level subject
Score for inclusion: <34.65 points
View the list of schools that meet our contextual criteria. If you studied at one of these schools for GCSEs and/or A Levels, you will receive a score for the contextual element. Applicants from state (non-independent) schools in Wales will receive a contextual score.

POLAR4 data
POLAR (Participation of Local Area) represents the rates of participation in higher education (HE) in a local area (defined by postcode). All areas are ranked according to this rate and segregated into quintiles. If your area is in quintile 1, this means you live in the lowest 20% of local areas in terms of rates of entry to HE.

You can look up your POLAR4 quintile from the Office for Students website: OFS Postcode Lookup.

We will use your home postcode on your UCAS application to identify the quintile. If you have moved recently, we will accept, with evidence, the previous postcode. Otherwise, we will ask to see evidence of your home postcode (where you live normally) at interview. The postcode information is not relevant for applicants who do not/have not attended a contextual school.
Reply 43
Original post by mohossain
not necessarily, if you get accepted to the A2B scheme then definitely. However, if you meet certain criteria such as your postcode and if you had free school meals or if you were in the first generation of your family to go uni.
this is copied from the UOB website:
How we identify a contextual school
We use published school performance data to identify contextual schools. It is important to note that about 90% of state schools are included.

Contextual thresholds
GCSEs

Contextual measure: Attainment 8 (average score per pupil)
Score for inclusion: <54.8
A Levels

Contextual measure: QCA points per A level subject
Score for inclusion: <34.65 points
View the list of schools that meet our contextual criteria. If you studied at one of these schools for GCSEs and/or A Levels, you will receive a score for the contextual element. Applicants from state (non-independent) schools in Wales will receive a contextual score.

POLAR4 data
POLAR (Participation of Local Area) represents the rates of participation in higher education (HE) in a local area (defined by postcode). All areas are ranked according to this rate and segregated into quintiles. If your area is in quintile 1, this means you live in the lowest 20% of local areas in terms of rates of entry to HE.

You can look up your POLAR4 quintile from the Office for Students website: OFS Postcode Lookup.

We will use your home postcode on your UCAS application to identify the quintile. If you have moved recently, we will accept, with evidence, the previous postcode. Otherwise, we will ask to see evidence of your home postcode (where you live normally) at interview. The postcode information is not relevant for applicants who do not/have not attended a contextual school.

thank you, that is very useful :smile:
Hiya! @A_J_B @a-aron I'm in final year of my degree and just got an offer - do you know what the offer (in terms of grades/qualification) will be or has been for people usually in my position?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 45
hiiiiiii i got an offer today and im so HAOPPOY! anyone know which accommodation is good?
Hey guys. Anyone know what grades we have to get?
Original post by ry2828
hiiiiiii i got an offer today and im so HAOPPOY! anyone know which accommodation is good?

I was also wondering when we can apply for accomodation. Is it when it comes through on track or can we apply now? :smile:
Original post by Thegod1626
Hey guys. Anyone know what grades we have to get?

they will update track in a few weeks
WELL DONE EVERYONE!! we did it!
Original post by A_J_B
Congrats on your offers guys! If you have any questions about first year/the course me and @a-aron will be happy to answer

Thank you so much! what is the best accommodation to apply to for medicine (like a good distance from the medical school but also social) thanks!!
Original post by Min_Aurora
WELL DONE EVERYONE!! we did it!

We did!!! Everyone should be really, really proud of themselves :h:
Reply 52
Original post by studenta3
Thank you so much! what is the best accommodation to apply to for medicine (like a good distance from the medical school but also social) thanks!!

I would say distance wise Ashcroft is the best, one of my friends lives there and it takes him about 5 mins to walk to med school and 10 mins to the main library.
Unlike walking from the vale which would take 20-30 mins
Reply 53
Congrats Everyone! Lets Smash This!
Original post by DClews1
Congrats Everyone! Lets Smash This!

Smash what?
lol rank 714 just got in :yeah:
Original post by Thegod1626
Smash what?

a levels hopefully
Original post by Hdavies1212
Well done guys can't believe we did this!!!!!!!

I’ve seen you on the thread for so long, congrats!! Are you gonna firm brum?
Reply 58
Original post by A_J_B

I'm quite a local student (about 25 mins by car) so I was wondering if you think it's worth getting accommodation ? I know medicine is obviously a very intense course so do you think I'd struggle commuting for all the lectures etc ? x
Reply 59
Original post by madi.m
I'm quite a local student (about 25 mins by car) so I was wondering if you think it's worth getting accommodation ? I know medicine is obviously a very intense course so do you think I'd struggle commuting for all the lectures etc ? x

All of my lectures are online now (I think that's the way forward as it saves a lot of time)-even if they are in-person they will be recorded so you can watch it at home.
Small group teaching sessions are online right now-they may be face-to-face (my hopeful guess) from September if the vaccines work (which is the case).
It depends on how tired you may feel after driving/commuting, but it's definitely doable. Saves a lot of money as well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending