The Student Room Group

Am I eligible for an extra years funding?

Long story short : very bad anxiety & depression which made it very hard to attend lectures and stay focused - I would’ve dropped out & applied to start fresh in September but I couldn’t afford dropping out. So I have had to stay at my uni, even though I am failing miserable, I will be starting at a different uni in September.
The problem is I only have 3 years of student finance left. My course is a 3 year course HOWEVER I will want to take a top up degree after as the 3 year course is a foundation. I won’t have finance for the top up degree ( which is one year). Are my circumstances reasonable for me to get an extra years funding? Or will I not be accepted due to the fact that I didn’t fully drop out of uni due to my anxiety?
Original post by nicolegrace1207
Long story short : very bad anxiety & depression which made it very hard to attend lectures and stay focused - I would’ve dropped out & applied to start fresh in September but I couldn’t afford dropping out. So I have had to stay at my uni, even though I am failing miserable, I will be starting at a different uni in September.
The problem is I only have 3 years of student finance left. My course is a 3 year course HOWEVER I will want to take a top up degree after as the 3 year course is a foundation. I won’t have finance for the top up degree ( which is one year). Are my circumstances reasonable for me to get an extra years funding? Or will I not be accepted due to the fact that I didn’t fully drop out of uni due to my anxiety?

Hi Nicole, students are entitled to funding for the length of their course plus one additional year, minus any years of previous study.

How many years of previous study will you have?
What is the length and name of your new course? A foundation degree is usually 2 years long , not 3.
Thanks, Isaac
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi Nicole, students are entitled to funding for the length of their course plus one additional year, minus any years of previous study.

How many years of previous study will you have?
What is the length and name of your new course? A foundation degree is usually 2 years long , not 3.
Thanks, Isaac

Hi, I will have 1 year of precious study ( I am trying to get a CPR as it’s due to anxiety)
My course is Fdsc Veterinary Nursing at Nottingham Trent.
My foundation degree is 3 years due to the final year being a placement year. I would like to then complete a top up degree which is Bsc Top Up Veterinary Nursing at Nottingham Trent ( this is a 1 year course) however to my understanding I won’t have any funding left unless my CPR gets accepted.
Hi, I will have 1 year of precious study ( I am trying to get a CPR as it’s due to anxiety)
My course is Fdsc Veterinary Nursing at Nottingham Trent.
My foundation degree is 3 years due to the final year being a placement year. I would like to then complete a top up degree which is Bsc Top Up Veterinary Nursing at Nottingham Trent ( this is a 1 year course) however to my understanding I won’t have any funding left unless my CPR gets accepted.

The calculation we use is:
length of course + 1 additional year - previous study = entitlement.

For your 3 year foundation degree your calculation will be:
3+1-1= 3 years of funding, you will be fully funded without CPR.

For your 1 year top up course, for the calculation we always state the length is 3 for a top up course. Your calculation will be:
3+1-4= 0 years of funding, you will need to self fund the course unless you have been awarded the CPR.

You can find out more about CPR here http://ow.ly/MsMM30pjjOm
You will need to upload professional evidence that shows how your mental health affected your studies, a doctors letter would be good evidence. The letter must specifically state how your studies were affected.
Thanks, Isaac
Original post by SFE Isaac
The calculation we use is:
length of course + 1 additional year - previous study = entitlement.

For your 3 year foundation degree your calculation will be:
3+1-1= 3 years of funding, you will be fully funded without CPR.

For your 1 year top up course, for the calculation we always state the length is 3 for a top up course. Your calculation will be:
3+1-4= 0 years of funding, you will need to self fund the course unless you have been awarded the CPR.

You can find out more about CPR here http://ow.ly/MsMM30pjjOm
You will need to upload professional evidence that shows how your mental health affected your studies, a doctors letter would be good evidence. The letter must specifically state how your studies were affected.
Thanks, Isaac

Will I still be able to apply for CPR even though I didn’t leave my course?
Anxiety affected my studies severely - I would have dropped out completely however I could not afford to drop out as I was tied down to an accommodation contract, therefore I am having to stay until June 2021, and start again at a different uni in September ( as my uni don’t accept retaking a year)
Will I still be able to apply for CPR even though I didn’t leave my course?
Anxiety affected my studies severely - I would have dropped out completely however I could not afford to drop out as I was tied down to an accommodation contract, therefore I am having to stay until June 2021, and start again at a different uni in September ( as my uni don’t accept retaking a year)

If your studies were affected then you can apply and our assessors will review.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending