Brandon786
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
So i am about to finish my college course in IT and interested in pursuing a career in cybersecurity. I have some questions for people who are/have been successful in this role/ have a great job in this and if you have any tips, feel free to lmk.
Is it worth going to uni for it?
What is the best course to do?
If uni isnt the best option, what should i try?
What is the average salary/what is your salary? (if you dont mind me asking lol)
Is it worth pursuing this career considering society, government, businesses etc rely more on technology by the day and security would be a lot more demanded (i think, correct me if its a stupid statement)
What are some good skills to have?
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Brandon786)
So i am about to finish my college course in IT and interested in pursuing a career in cybersecurity. I have some questions for people who are/have been successful in this role/ have a great job in this and if you have any tips, feel free to lmk.
If uni isnt the best option, what should i try?
What is the average salary/what is your salary? (if you dont mind me asking lol)
Is it worth pursuing this career considering society, government, businesses etc rely more on technology by the day and security would be a lot more demanded (i think, correct me if its a stupid statement)

Honestly, if you're thinking of a career in IT/tech, it's really not gonna matter. The actual degree itself has such little impact in this industry, what really counts is the side projects you've done, any professional certifications, portfolio, relevant commercial experience or open-source contributions, GitHub etc.

Have a look at the course contents for each uni and decide which one you like best. When hiring engineers, I and many others just skim the education history and go straight to what you've actually done in terms of work experience.

Computer Science or Cyber Security / Info Security related course.

For perm roles, average senior engineering salaries are £50K - £75K. For contracting, average £350 - £550 + VAT per day. My highest has been around £110K. Education has nothing to do with it, it's the commercial work experience that matters.

Definitely. Government security cleared contracts are some of the highest rates in the world over £1000 + VAT per day. Even in private commercial environments, it's still a very respectable pay. Again, this comes with experience not education.

Pick a tech stack you enjoy and go with it. Mainly get familiar with professional certs, SDLC (software development lifecycle) in a commercial environment, side projects and a portfolio (very important, make this your absolute priority), open-source contributions, GitHub, your own website etc.

I work as a lead developer in software engineering and DevOps. I did computer science at uni, but if I could go back, I would have done an apprenticeship instead.

Let me know if you have other questions.
Last edited by Final Fantasy; 3 months ago
Brandon7862002
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Final Fantasy)

Honestly, if you're thinking of a career in IT/tech, it's really not gonna matter. The actual degree itself has such little impact in this industry, what really counts is the side projects you've done, any professional certifications, portfolio, relevant commercial experience or open-source contributions, GitHub etc.

Have a look at the course contents for each uni and decide which one you like best. When hiring engineers, I and many others just skim the education history and go straight to what you've actually done in terms of work experience.

Computer Science or Cyber Security / Info Security related course.

For perm roles, average senior engineering salaries are £50K - £75K. For contracting, average £350 - £550 + VAT per day. My highest has been around £110K. Education has nothing to do with it, it's the commercial work experience that matters.

Definitely. Government security cleared contracts are some of the highest rates in the world over £1000 + VAT per day. Even in private commercial environments, it's still a very respectable pay. Again, this comes with experience not education.

Pick a tech stack you enjoy and go with it. Mainly get familiar with professional certs, SDLC (software development lifecycle) in a commercial environment, side projects and a portfolio (very important, make this your absolute priority), open-source contributions, GitHub, your own website etc.

I work as a lead developer in software engineering and DevOps. I did computer science at uni, but if I could go back, I would have done an apprenticeship instead.

Let me know if you have other questions.
i have another few questions if you dont mind (new account, forgot details for that one lol)

What are some of the daily things you do, like most common tasks and what they are/ what you have to do?

as i might go uni, what should i try and learn/ get the hang of that would be useful to the topic?

ill probably return for some more questions when they come to mind
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (43)
28.67%
No (107)
71.33%

Watched Threads