The Student Room Group

Chemistry multi step synthesis

Hi please please help need an answer ASAP😭 I need to plan a multi step synthesis of n-ethylethanamide from ethanoyl chloride and chloroethane in just two steps! If anyone has ANY ideas please let me know
Original post by Lpzxaz
Hi please please help need an answer ASAP😭 I need to plan a multi step synthesis of n-ethylethanamide from ethanoyl chloride and chloroethane in just two steps! If anyone has ANY ideas please let me know

Do you have any ideas of the species that you can form from the haloalkane by nucleophilic substitution. (hint: it must contain a nitrogen atom)
I think you react chloroethane with ammonia to make ethanamine. Then you react the ethanamine with the ethanoyl chloride.
Original post by ahow39409234-095
I think you react chloroethane with ammonia to make ethanamine. Then you react the ethanamine with the ethanoyl chloride.

we "nudge" the OP towards the answer, not just state it ...
Reply 4
Original post by charco
Do you have any ideas of the species that you can form from the haloalkane by nucleophilic substitution. (hint: it must contain a nitrogen atom)

Omg thanku for replying I literally am clueless! I currently have chloroethane to ethanoyl chloride to n-ethylethanamide but have no idea how the halogenoalkane (chloroethane) comes into this does it react with a carboxylic acid? I’m really not sure I’d appreciate any help
Reply 5
Original post by charco

Thanks for your reply! It has to be in two steps, and the product must be N-ethylethamide so would ethamime and ethanoyl chloride make this product?
Original post by Lpzxaz
Thanks for your reply! It has to be in two steps, and the product must be N-ethylethamide so would ethamime and ethanoyl chloride make this product?

:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by charco

Haha thanks, Could you let me know if this is right chloroethane to ethanoyl chloride to n-ethylethamide? Is that my general steps? And do you have any ideas what chloroethane has to do with this
Original post by Lpzxaz
Haha thanks, Could you let me know if this is right chloroethane to ethanoyl chloride to n-ethylethamide? Is that my general steps? And do you have any ideas what chloroethane has to do with this

@ahow39409234-095 has already given you the answer...
Reply 9
Original post by charco
@ahow39409234-095 has already given you the answer...

Is that 2 steps though? I think he’s right but I was thinking of reacting the chloroethane with a carboxylic acid to make the ethanoyl chloride can you do that? Also I was supposed to know this from notes and what he answered isn’t in my notes so I’m thinking there’s another answer maybe?
Original post by Lpzxaz
Is that 2 steps though? I think he’s right but I was thinking of reacting the chloroethane with a carboxylic acid to make the ethanoyl chloride can you do that? Also I was supposed to know this from notes and what he answered isn’t in my notes so I’m thinking there’s another answer maybe?

Yes, it's two steps.

"I was thinking of reacting the chloroethane with a carboxylic acid to make the ethanoyl chloride" - won't work
Reply 11
Original post by charco
Yes, it's two steps.

"I was thinking of reacting the chloroethane with a carboxylic acid to make the ethanoyl chloride" - won't work

Okay thanks my only question with this is though, the question was ‘using ethanoyl chloride and chlorethane’ with this answer ethylamine will be in the equation but ethanoyl chloride will not be in the equation it will be part of the step, is that okay? Normally the things that they’ve asked to make up the product end up actually being in the equation not the step. Hope that makes sense. So like I have the equation chloroethane —-> Ethylamine——> n-ethylethanamide. And ethanol chloride isn’t in there it’s part of step 2.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Lpzxaz
Okay thanks my only question with this is though, the question was ‘using ethanoyl chloride and chlorethane’ with this answer ethylamine will be in the equation but ethanoyl chloride will not be in the equation it will be part of the step, is that okay? Normally the things the things that they’ve asked to make up the product end up actually being in the equation not the step. Hope that makes sense. So like I have the equation chloroethane —-> Ethylamine——> n-ethylethanamide. And ethanol chloride isn’t in there it’s part of step 2.

Be careful how you attack the picture ... it might fight back.
Reply 13
Original post by charco
Be careful how you attack the picture ... it might fight back.

Sorry what do you mean? And was my answer correct? 😊
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 14

You are a life saver!! Thank u so much 😊 the only question I have with this is the question asked for the product to be made from ‘ethanol chloride and chloroethane’ but with this answer it will be chloroethane ——> ethylamine ——> N-ethylethanamide. And ethanol chloride will be part of step 2 and not in the actual ‘equation’ is that okay? I’ve never have a multi step synthesis ask for a product to be made from compounds that have never ended up not being in the ‘equation’ and as part of the step.
Original post by Lpzxaz
You are a life saver!! Thank u so much 😊 the only question I have with this is the question asked for the product to be made from ‘ethanol chloride and chloroethane’ but with this answer it will be chloroethane ——> ethylamine ——> N-ethylethanamide. And ethanol chloride will be part of step 2 and not in the actual ‘equation’ is that okay? I’ve never have a multi step synthesis ask for a product to be made from compounds that have never ended up not being in the ‘equation’ and as part of the step.

A multi-step synthesis means that you can use the materials you are given in any order.

"made from ‘ethanol chloride and chloroethane" does not mean that you react these together, just that you use them somewhere in the synthesis:

STEP 1: chloroethane + ammonia ==> ethanamine

STEP 2: ethanamine + ethanoyl chloride ==> N-ethylethanamide
Reply 16
Original post by charco
A multi-step synthesis means that you can use the materials you are given in any order.

"made from ‘ethanol chloride and chloroethane" does not mean that you react these together, just that you use them somewhere in the synthesis:

STEP 1: chloroethane + ammonia ==> ethanamine

STEP 2: ethanamine + ethanoyl chloride ==> N-ethylethanamide

That makes sense! Thank you :smile:
Reply 17

Hi I was wondering if you could help me again please, I need to make ethylamine from ethanal in a 2 step process. I have put ethanal goes to ethanoic acid which gets reacted with ethanol to make ethyl ethanoate is this right?

Quick Reply

Latest