The Student Room Group

2021/2020 university application with ILR residence permit

Hello! I’m quite confused, I have Philippines Passport but I have an Indefinite Leave to Remain UK residence permit and have been living here for almost 7 years already. I applied for 2021/2022 university. I got 3/4 of my offers so far and the two universities I received offer from classified my status/tuition fee as Home student right away while one of the universities which is my first choice put me under overseas students. They told me they are still waiting for the guidelines as there might be changes because of the brexit which I understand but I’m getting anxious already. I’m not an EU national so I shouldn’t be affected with the new guidelines right? And I already have an ILR and all. Should I be worried? I hope I made sense. Thank you.
Original post by lunalovegood9999
Hello! I’m quite confused, I have Philippines Passport but I have an Indefinite Leave to Remain UK residence permit and have been living here for almost 7 years already. I applied for 2021/2022 university. I got 3/4 of my offers so far and the two universities I received offer from classified my status/tuition fee as Home student right away while one of the universities which is my first choice put me under overseas students. They told me they are still waiting for the guidelines as there might be changes because of the brexit which I understand but I’m getting anxious already. I’m not an EU national so I shouldn’t be affected with the new guidelines right? And I already have an ILR and all. Should I be worried? I hope I made sense. Thank you.

Hi Luna, we don't decide what fee the university charge as it's up to the university, we just provide a loan of up to £9.250. If one university is charging you more than the other 2 then you can decide which university to choose.
Thanks, Isaac
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi Luna, we don't decide what fee the university charge as it's up to the university, we just provide a loan of up to £9.250. If one university is charging you more than the other 2 then you can decide which university to choose.
Thanks, Isaac

Hello! Thank you for the reply. I asked to be reassessed but they told me they are still waiting for the new guidelines from UKCISA before they can do it. I wonder when it will be finally published.

Also student loan side, does that mean I’m still applicable to apply for student loan and maintenance right? Thank you!
Hello! Thank you for the reply. I asked to be reassessed but they told me they are still waiting for the new guidelines from UKCISA before they can do it. I wonder when it will be finally published.

Also student loan side, does that mean I’m still applicable to apply for student loan and maintenance right? Thank you!

I have ILR so same situation, you should be classified as a home fees student. You will need to tell them it's wrong and get them to fix it; I had this same thing happen when I started my course this year. Was a bit of a nightmare because the admin staff were pretty slow getting it sorted but they did in the end. You might need to be persistent and email a few times - you'll probably also need to send a copy of your ILR status document(s) etc to the uni at some point (likely digital will suffice but you might need to send the originals possibly).
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
I have ILR so same situation, you should be classified as a home fees student. You will need to tell them it's wrong and get them to fix it; I had this same thing happen when I started my course this year. Was a bit of a nightmare because the admin staff were pretty slow getting it sorted but they did in the end. You might need to be persistent and email a few times - you'll probably also need to send a copy of your ILR status document(s) etc to the uni at some point (likely digital will suffice but you might need to send the originals possibly).

Hello! Thank you for answering. I did explain to them about this (I even gave them a call) and also sent a scanned copy of my ILR. But they wanted to wait for the new guidelines from UKCISA. This was their latest email to me when I asked for an update for my reassessment:

“Unfortunately, due to the reasons explained in a recent UKCISA Update, we are not yet able to complete fee status assessments.

We appreciate your patience and will be in touch once we are able to provide you with an updated fee status questionnaire, following the publication of the updated UKCISA guidelines.”

I gave UKCISA a call twice as well before when I first got the overseas fee from them and now that they are sorting out the guidelines posted by the government and both occasions they told me I shouldn’t be affected in any way since the new guidelines will be mainly for EU nationals and I already have an ILR and not an EU national in the first place. I’m just getting anxious and a little but frustrated now cos I hopefully wanted to firm them already so I can sort out applying for student finance, student bank account, and accommodation before I go back to work on May. 😭😭😭
@artful_lounger hi! Just another question cos until now there is still no UKCISA 2021 guidelines. I’ve called UKCISA regarding my status and on all those 3 separate calls they all said I shouldn’t get affected especially I’m not an EU national and I already have ILR and been living here for 7 years. I wanted to try and call the uni tomorrow to ask and pursue them to do reassessment for me even without the 2021 guidelines yet which they really insist I should wait for. What do you think I should tell to sound persistent and to make them “give in” hopefully? I also don’t wanna sound pushy and all but I feel like its a bit unfair that I’m getting stuck into something I feel like I’m not gonna be affected anyway. Even UKCISA agents that I talked to said its weird that I was put on International fee and I should have been classified as home student right away anyway. I’m getting so anxious already. I’m so sorry for bothering you! Thank you!
@artful_lounger hi! Just another question cos until now there is still no UKCISA 2021 guidelines. I’ve called UKCISA regarding my status and on all those 3 separate calls they all said I shouldn’t get affected especially I’m not an EU national and I already have ILR and been living here for 7 years. I wanted to try and call the uni tomorrow to ask and pursue them to do reassessment for me even without the 2021 guidelines yet which they really insist I should wait for. What do you think I should tell to sound persistent and to make them “give in” hopefully? I also don’t wanna sound pushy and all but I feel like its a bit unfair that I’m getting stuck into something I feel like I’m not gonna be affected anyway. Even UKCISA agents that I talked to said its weird that I was put on International fee and I should have been classified as home student right away anyway. I’m getting so anxious already. I’m so sorry for bothering you! Thank you!

Yeah I'd say keep on the uni about it, because I don't really see why they would keep waiting tbh (I'm not an EU national, and have ILR, and as soon as I sent my BRP/passport etc details to them it was fixed).
Yeah I'd say keep on the uni about it, because I don't really see why they would keep waiting tbh (I'm not an EU national, and have ILR, and as soon as I sent my BRP/passport etc details to them it was fixed).

@artful_lounger hello again! So I gave the uni a call the other day and the person told me he will escalate my “situation” to the higher ups/admin. Today I received this email from them:

“We are aware that some applicants may already have the required documents to be classified as home fee status but until we are able to send out the Fee Status Questionnaires (FSQs), we cannot re-assess fee statuses.

Having spoken with the Admissions manager yesterday regarding this topic, they informed me that it was of high priority and is being dealt with right now. We are provisionally aiming to send these FSQs by 22nd May.”

I honestly don’t know what to do and feel now. I feel let down, frustrated, annoyed, and sad about their response. Wait until like 22nd May? And I still have to apply for student finance and stuff and I even have to sort out stuff with my boss from my work on what’s gonna happen with me after summer. Even without the new guidelines yet all the UKCISA agents I consulted and talked with all said its weird that I’m “stuck” in this kind of situation from that uni. SIGH. I’m sorry for messaging you again.
@artful_lounger hello again! So I gave the uni a call the other day and the person told me he will escalate my “situation” to the higher ups/admin. Today I received this email from them:

“We are aware that some applicants may already have the required documents to be classified as home fee status but until we are able to send out the Fee Status Questionnaires (FSQs), we cannot re-assess fee statuses.

Having spoken with the Admissions manager yesterday regarding this topic, they informed me that it was of high priority and is being dealt with right now. We are provisionally aiming to send these FSQs by 22nd May.”

I honestly don’t know what to do and feel now. I feel let down, frustrated, annoyed, and sad about their response. Wait until like 22nd May? And I still have to apply for student finance and stuff and I even have to sort out stuff with my boss from my work on what’s gonna happen with me after summer. Even without the new guidelines yet all the UKCISA agents I consulted and talked with all said its weird that I’m “stuck” in this kind of situation from that uni. SIGH. I’m sorry for messaging you again.

So they basically confirmed it's because their admissions department hasn't put together the necessary documentation on their end yet, so it's not actually any kind of policy issue it's purely just an admin failure on their part. It's an unfortunate situation for you but there's literally nothing else you can do (except go to another uni I guess...) in the meantime.

In terms of applying to SFE there isn't a deadline for that, it's just ideal to do it earlier rather than later to make sure it's all in place before you start your course. It is possible to begin while still waiting on your application to be processed by SFE - usually you need to just notify your uni you have applied and are waiting for it to finish processing and they will add a note to your student ID that the tuition fee loan is being applied for but will be late so isn't a huge issue from the unis perspective (your maintenance loan being late may be more of an issue for you). However even then if you apply in late May/early June to SFE and send all the necessary evidence the first time then you will probably have it sorted in time; it's mainly if you don't apply until late July/August that it ends up being likely to be delayed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending