The Student Room Group

Will my period stop if I'm underweight?

I've always been underweight, I'm a picky eater but I have at least 2 meals and snacks every day. I've got a vitamin deficiency but I take supplements for it daily so I'm fine but around the time I was diagnosed years ago, doctors were surprised that everything was fine with my period. I've never had an issue with it I've had a period every month since I started it. A doctor told me it was a miracle I was still menstruating and that my period will stop but it hasn't years later. I think she was lying just to scare me. I doubt my period will ever stop until I'm old and get the menopause.
Reply 1
Losing your period can happen when you're underweight, yes.
Reply 2
I'm not a lot underweight just like a bit the last time I saw a doctor I was told I've been the same weight for years and should try to gain a bit of weight.
Yes. People with anorexia often stop having periods (amenorrhoea was one of the diagnostic criteria until a few years ago).
My BMI is 16-17 and I’ve always had a regular period. Being underweight can result in irregular periods, but not necessarily.
I know a friend who exercised excessively and went on extreme diets and she lost a lot of weight. However, i think her period was delayed cuz she got hers at 16. But I think there's a correlation.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not a lot underweight just like a bit the last time I saw a doctor I was told I've been the same weight for years and should try to gain a bit of weight.

You should probably follow your doctor's advice then. You shouldn't take the fact that you are having periods to mean that you are healthy and aren't doing damage to your body.
Reply 7
Original post by black tea
Yes. People with anorexia often stop having periods (amenorrhoea was one of the diagnostic criteria until a few years ago).

I don't have anorexia
I don't have anorexia

I didn't say you did.
I don't have anorexia

Possibly not because you might not have the psychological attributes of it but you need to be having three meals per day to be healthy.
Yeah it definitely can
I've always been underweight, I'm a picky eater but I have at least 2 meals and snacks every day. I've got a vitamin deficiency but I take supplements for it daily so I'm fine but around the time I was diagnosed years ago, doctors were surprised that everything was fine with my period. I've never had an issue with it I've had a period every month since I started it. A doctor told me it was a miracle I was still menstruating and that my period will stop but it hasn't years later. I think she was lying just to scare me. I doubt my period will ever stop until I'm old and get the menopause.

yes
i lost my period for a year bc i wasnt eating properly and was slightly underweight. it was the worst year of my life. i had to gain the weight back now im just average.
totally not worth losing your period.
id never thought id lose mine but i did!

She wasn't lying. It is possible for periods to stop when underweight. It isn't a guarantee, but it is certainly possible. Any number of things can cause periods to stop.

Yes they can stop suddenly as many causes can be behind why this happens ok.
Your GP will keep you right on this.

Have a look at information attached from NHS website for reasons ok.

.Screenshot_2021-03-03-21-26-17.png
It can happen but I've had a bmi around 16 in the past and my cycle stayed regular. Doesn't mean there aren't other risks to being very underweight though- your period isn't your only indicator of health. I don't think your doctor was lying to you tbh- how old are you? Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't.
It can happen but I've had a bmi around 16 in the past and my cycle stayed regular. Doesn't mean there aren't other risks to being very underweight though- your period isn't your only indicator of health. I don't think your doctor was lying to you tbh- how old are you? Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't.

Late twenties

Quick Reply

Latest