The Student Room Group

My family seriously are obsessed with me doing medicine

I have told them HUNDREDS of times I feel the need to take a gap year as I might enjoy engineering better.

I have told them how I do not find the idea of learning about muscle pairs interesting, and would much rather learn thermodynamics and how to design electric engines.

I have told them how I want to open a technology firm and become an entrepreneur, working 14 hours a day to actually be rewarded , as opposed to just having "personal satisfaction" from patients spitting on me all day and inhaling gross smells for 14 hours a day.

I have told them how I can help people just as much as a doctor does, if not 100x more, by building devices that are used in hospitals and are more efficient and are with the patient 24/7.

All they care about is the prestige to tell their friends , "oh yes, my son is a doctor. Yes ,yes . I raised a DOCTOR ! :smile: :smile: :smile: "

The biggest concern for me is I am just not interested in learning a tonne of information parrot fashion, with very little intellectual stimulation.

However, a huge worry I have is I will do engineering, and be stuck at a chair by myself all day.

I am INCREDIBLY worried I will end up in a dead end job and regret my decision.

I want to work with people. The big attraction was to save lives, the prestige , and the money. But money is out of the equation now I learned FY1 doctors are on £28,000 a year, and people on benefits get more than that..
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They are very old fashioned. They think that an engineer is an electrician / plumber who solders pipes all day. Because for some damn reason, people who fit central heating have the title of "gas engineers"..
I suggest following your own passion - if you go on and study Medicine just for your parents satisfaction then you're gonna be in for a load of hurt and misery.

Life is too short, do something you like.
Original post by lhh2003
I have told them HUNDREDS of times I feel the need to take a gap year as I might enjoy engineering better.

I have told them how I do not find the idea of learning about muscle pairs interesting, and would much rather learn thermodynamics and how to design electric engines.

I have told them how I want to open a technology firm and become an entrepreneur, working 14 hours a day to actually be rewarded , as opposed to just having "personal satisfaction" from patients spitting on me all day and inhaling gross smells for 14 hours a day.

I have told them how I can help people just as much as a doctor does, if not 100x more, by building devices that are used in hospitals and are more efficient and are with the patient 24/7.

All they care about is the prestige to tell their friends , "oh yes, my son is a doctor. Yes ,yes . I raised a DOCTOR ! :smile: :smile: :smile: "

The biggest concern for me is I am just not interested in learning a tonne of information parrot fashion, with very little intellectual stimulation.

However, a huge worry I have is I will do engineering, and be stuck at a chair by myself all day.

I want to work with people. The big attraction was to save lives, the prestige , and the money. But money is out of the equation now I learned FY1 doctors are on £28,000 a year, and people on benefits get more than that..

Yeh but doctors salary increases a lot more year by year with experience than other degrees. That’s not related anyway. Inhaling gross smells for 14hrs a day? Pls don’t mock medicine. They save lives.
Anyway do engineering if that’s what you want. Talk with them now and just make it clear. As easy as that.
You ca persuade the about that engineers can make stuff for hospitals that can really help patients so you’re like a ‘doctor’ anyway. Or you could persuade them with a future engineering phd. In any case just do engineering.
As Ecolier has said ‘if there is something else on your mind then pick something else’ NOT Medicine
most of your points are fair and its not fair for your parents to almost force you into being a doctor if it wont make you happy. i understand that it may be tough to go against their advice in becoming a doctor but if u truly don't wanna be a doctor, then don't listen to them, follow engineering. its kinda weird that your parents only want u to become a doctor for prestige, because engineering is prestige in itself considering how complex it is. at the end of the day it's your choice because you're going to be the one living with this decision for the next 30,40 years, and u don't want those years to be unhappy. if I was you, just follow engineering and as harsh as it sounds just suck it up if they pressure you. good luck
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Consultants are on £100,000 a year. These are people who have dedicated 30 years of their live, sacrificed time with their families, missed many life experiences, worked an average of about 12 hours a day EVERYDAY. And £100,000 is all they get. Senior Engineers at Tesla in their thirties get £80,000 salaries and work much fewer hours.
tell them NO

its your life :smile: hope everything works out for you
Original post by lhh2003

i can relate....at this point you got to be a savage and do as you please. its not like they'll disown you if you do engineering. also it's you doing the job and studying for the degree not them. and imagine the misery and the complete LACK of motivation you will have when doing a degree your parents want you to do...do engineering. its much more interesting and fun. and what's better is that you don't actual make decisions in life/death situations.
Reply 8
Original post by SparkleFace
Yeh but doctors salary increases a lot more year by year with experience than other degrees. That’s not related anyway. Inhaling gross smells for 14hrs a day? Pls don’t mock medicine. They save lives.
Anyway do engineering if that’s what you want. Talk with them now and just make it clear. As easy as that.
You ca persuade the about that engineers can make stuff for hospitals that can really help patients so you’re like a ‘doctor’ anyway. Or you could persuade them with a future engineering phd. In any case just do engineering.
As Ecolier has said ‘if there is something else on your mind then pick something else’ NOT Medicine

Doctors do save lives. But doctors do have to do all of those bad things I described and the NHS gives them nothing for it.
Original post by lhh2003
They are very old fashioned. They think that an engineer is an electrician / plumber who solders pipes all day. Because for some damn reason, people who fit central heating have the title of "gas engineers"..

show them a video that actually explains what engineers actually do lol.
Reply 10
Original post by dank0209
most of your points are fair and its not fair for your parents to almost force you into being a doctor if it wont make you happy. i understand that it may be tough to go against their advice in becoming a doctor but if u truly don't wanna be a doctor, then don't listen to them, follow engineering. its kinda weird that your parents only want u to become a doctor for prestige, because engineering is prestige in itself considering how complex it is. at the end of the day it's your choice because you're going to be the one living with this decision for the next 30,40 years, and u don't want those years to be unhappy. if I was you, just follow engineering and as harsh as it sounds just suck it up if they pressure you. good luck

They tell me , "you are not a hands on person, you would hate working with engines. Its just not you ! You love working with people , working with young children . Imagine being a paediatric." I am thinking to myself , that would be nice, but I could also be working for the ESA launching stuff into space.
Reply 11
It takes 14 years post graduating as a consultant to be on the top salary, as I have heard.
Original post by lhh2003
Consultants are on £100,000 a year. These are people who have dedicated 30 years of their live, sacrificed time with their families, missed many life experiences, worked an average of about 12 hours a day EVERYDAY. And £100,000 is all they get. Senior Engineers at Tesla in their thirties get £80,000 salaries and work much fewer hours.

yes but doctors have the best job security on the planet. think about how many people apply for a job as a senior engineer at tesla and how many people actually get the job, the ratio is probably 1 job offer for every 200 applicants. plus they don't really earn that much in the uk but they do in the usa. but that's besides the point, most doctors don't become doctors for the money, they do it for reasons bigger than themselves. and if u want big money you can always go abroad after studying medicine in the uk and in countries like America u can earn 500k+
honestly, don't do medicine, unless you really like it you'll really hate it, im a med student and I have honestly thought of dropping out so many times. you're overworked, people can be so rude and at then end of the day you're not even payed well. id honestly advice to go do something else, engineering is great and there is a whole bunch of things you can do with the degree, the pay is also so much better I have friends who have applied to grad jobs starting 40k, literally almost double what id get for less years in uni
(edited 3 years ago)
I mean as technology advances some Doctors could actually become redundant. It may seem secure now but in 20-30 years pay could actually start going down as AI does most of the tasks that a doctor does.

If you really want money look into banking or tech.
Reply 15
Original post by dank0209
yes but doctors have the best job security on the planet. think about how many people apply for a job as a senior engineer at tesla and how many people actually get the job, the ratio is probably 1 job offer for every 200 applicants. plus they don't really earn that much in the uk but they do in the usa. but that's besides the point, most doctors don't become doctors for the money, they do it for reasons bigger than themselves. and if u want big money you can always go abroad after studying medicine in the uk and in countries like America u can earn 500k+

In the US, the poorest of patients tend to need healthcare most often and end up being the most exploited . It is a horrific system and it wouldn't feel good knowing I was fleecing the wallets of my patients.
Original post by lhh2003

You've posted about this numerous times before. You still sound pretty immature in every respect though - sounds like you need to work on that first.

Figure it out and learn to say no to your family.
Reply 17
Original post by Democracy
You've posted about this numerous times before. You still sound pretty immature in every respect though - sounds like you need to work on that first.

Figure it out and learn to say no to your family.

Choosing to do medicine is a big decision for me. I am fortunate enough to be in a position where I have other options and wont just waste my entire life in a career I hate. My family have 40 years of experience that I don't have. My interests are at their hearts even if they do brag about me being a doctor.

Also, considering you are meant to be a doctor, how can you be so quick to judge someone who is confounded ?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by lhh2003
Choosing to do medicine is a big decision for me. I am fortunate enough to be in a position where I have other options and wont just waste my entire life in a career I hate. My family have 40 years of experience that I don't have. My interests are at their hearts even if they do brag about me being a doctor.

So don't then. What is stopping you?
Reply 19
Original post by Democracy
So don't then. What is stopping you?

The fact I have already applied and if I reject their offer, it will be on record, and I may never be given another chance ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending