The Student Room Group

Do you think the LGBT community is the cause of its own problems?

As a gay conservative, I am frequently subject to abuse by the left in society who spuriously claim that the only way in which the LGBT community can be manumitted is through the premiership of a Labour Prime Minister. I tend not to conform to the 'stereotypical' traits of a homosexual in that I am rather stoic, relatively masculine and incredibly opposed to the Labour Party. It may be my PhD in Economics which has swayed me to the right economically, but I cannot help feeling that the increasing enmity towards the LGBT community (especially by its own 'members', if you will) is corollary of its hostility towards those who dare to have an opinion which dissents from the majority. I do not believe that my sexuality is somewhat of a hindrance to my progress in society; rather, it has no effect at all. Whether this is due to my homosexuality being almost indiscernible I do not know, but would any of you agree that the victimhood of the LGBT community is ultimately responsible for a lot of the hate they receive?

Scroll to see replies

This man was subject to bullying due to his sexuality that led to him attempting to take his own life because he grew up in a religious conservative culture.

I'm sure you can play silly mental gymnastics and claim the LGBT community brought this upon him. However I prefer the obvious explaination: he was bullied by intolerant bigots.
I think the victimhood can fuel hate but the people who act as “victims” do not represent the whole community, more them as a person who just happen to be a part of the community.

The LGBT community is not responsible for the hate they receive, the people who are making the hateful comments are responsible.

Ps you’re very articulate lol 🙂
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
I see your point OP in that the LGBtfndjsjsn movement does take a divisive tone and brings some trouble upon itself albeit it's arguable that we should not descend to the level of modern liberals.

That said LGB people would probably be better dumping the tdjsjanan people. Nobody much opposes who you put your penis in but half the rest are obsessed with playing the victim and overtly destroying social norms.
Reply 4
you have a PhD in economics or you hoping to study politics at uni in September?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=93046592&highlight=
Original post by Joleee
you have a PhD in economics or you hoping to study politics at uni in September?

Good spot. I thought his language was a little off for someone claiming to have a PhD.
Original post by Rakas21
I see your point OP in that the LGBtfndjsjsn movement does take a divisive tone and brings some trouble upon itself albeit it's arguable that we should not descend to the level of modern liberals.

That said LGB people would probably be better dumping the tdjsjanan people. Nobody much opposes who you put your penis in but half the rest are obsessed with playing the victim and overtly destroying social norms.

Spot on once again. PRSOM.
Original post by arthurpendragon2
As a gay conservative, I am frequently subject to abuse by the left in society who spuriously claim that the only way in which the LGBT community can be manumitted is through the premiership of a Labour Prime Minister. I tend not to conform to the 'stereotypical' traits of a homosexual in that I am rather stoic, relatively masculine and incredibly opposed to the Labour Party. It may be my PhD in Economics which has swayed me to the right economically, but I cannot help feeling that the increasing enmity towards the LGBT community (especially by its own 'members', if you will) is corollary of its hostility towards those who dare to have an opinion which dissents from the majority. I do not believe that my sexuality is somewhat of a hindrance to my progress in society; rather, it has no effect at all. Whether this is due to my homosexuality being almost indiscernible I do not know, but would any of you agree that the victimhood of the LGBT community is ultimately responsible for a lot of the hate they receive?

What "abuse" do you recieve?
Is it just a coincidence that the now deleted account @arthurpendragon1 was also gay, applying to study politics. the same penchant of hairstyle and sesquipedalian use of language?

I ask this because that account previously made a thread about negative reactions from straight men to gay men. Something that you seem to be suggesting was brought on by the LGBT community and you have never experienced.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6798804
Original post by Rakas21

If LGBT people should be concious about "destroying social norms" then there wouldn't be an LGBT community to begin with.
Original post by Rakas21

You seem to be forgetting that the very reason why far fewer people care about where you stick your **** nowadays is because gay rights activists spent years destroying previous social norms. It was a moral and intellectual argument that they comprehensively won.
Exactly, so the job is done. They can go home and leave the others.
Original post by Rakas21

The point is that 'Don't support these groups of people because they're breaking social norms' isn't a good argument against supporting said groups of people.
Original post by Joleee

Why is that an either-or? You know you're allowed to do more than one degree?
Original post by -Imperator-

He is also 17/18 based on his last account, that would be mighty impressive to have a PhD and moving onto his next degree before he has even left school.
Original post by Rakas21

The job was not done when homosexuality was decriminalised, when Section 28 was repealed, when transgender individuals were recognised by law, when gay marriage was legalised, etc.

Social conservatives are just fighting a rear-guard action and doing a particularly bad job of it.
Original post by -Imperator-

Do you honestly think someone with a purported PhD in economics would ask such a naïve question about university?
Original post by Kitten in boots
This man was subject to bullying due to his sexuality that led to him attempting to take his own life because he grew up in a religious conservative culture.

I'm sure you can play silly mental gymnastics and claim the LGBT community brought this upon him. However I prefer the obvious explaination: he was bullied by intolerant bigots.

And that is why I said 'a lot', not all. There are of course many intolerant bigots whose homophobia leads to the suicides of many LGBT people, which is of course abhorrent and morally indefensible. The hate to which I refer is the hate the LGBT community receives when they inculcate a feeling of victimhood into young LGBT minds, telling them that they are a severely oppressed group whose sexuality limits them in life. I think that is a very dangerous narrative to tell somebody, and it is hardly conducive to success. Rather, this type of indoctrination drags the LGBT community DOWN; if you are taught that due to your sexual orientation you won't achieve the same success as your heterosexual counterparts, do you honestly believe that you will have a shred of ambition left? Not only does that apply to LGBT people, but to other minority groups. If we take Margaret Thatcher as example, although she had many many faults, I would say that she was the BEST example of what a feminist should be (despite her not identifying as one). She had conviction and relied on factual arguments rather than one's of emotion. Her achievements in life came in part from breaking out of the dangerous narrative that women could not lead a country! And there are many women today who still claim that they will not achieve great things due to their sex. What a pitiful proposal. It is the attitude that limits you, not your sex.
Original post by username5567954
And that is why I said 'a lot', not all. There are of course many intolerant bigots whose homophobia leads to the suicides of many LGBT people, which is of course abhorrent and morally indefensible. The hate to which I refer is the hate the LGBT community receives when they inculcate a feeling of victimhood into young LGBT minds, telling them that they are a severely oppressed group whose sexuality limits them in life. I think that is a very dangerous narrative to tell somebody, and it is hardly conducive to success. Rather, this type of indoctrination drags the LGBT community DOWN; if you are taught that due to your sexual orientation you won't achieve the same success as your heterosexual counterparts, do you honestly believe that you will have a shred of ambition left? Not only does that apply to LGBT people, but to other minority groups. If we take Margaret Thatcher as example, although she had many many faults, I would say that she was the BEST example of what a feminist should be (despite her not identifying as one). She had conviction and relied on factual arguments rather than one's of emotion. Her achievements in life came in part from breaking out of the dangerous narrative that women could not lead a country! And there are many women today who still claim that they will not achieve great things due to their sex. What a pitiful proposal. It is the attitude that limits you, not your sex.

You deleted another account?
Original post by username5567954
She had conviction and relied on factual arguments rather than one's of emotion.

It is a shame you deleted your account as I would have loved to see you try to explain how Thatcher's homophobic and pernicious Section 28 was based on factual arguments rather irrational fear and appealing to base emotions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending