The Student Room Group

Durham vs Nottingham - which campus is better, based on these tour videos?

Reply 1
Idk about which campus is nicer, but Durhum seems like a much better place to explore and live, even after uni. Everything is so cheap there, including rent! Although Notts is pretty cheap too and seems nice, but not as nice as Durhum. If my family weren't so far south I'd want to live near there.
Reply 2
Original post by rozsaysroar
Idk about which campus is nicer, but Durhum seems like a much better place to explore and live, even after uni. Everything is so cheap there, including rent! Although Notts is pretty cheap too and seems nice, but not as nice as Durhum. If my family weren't so far south I'd want to live near there.

This thread is a comparison between the campuses of the two unis, not a comparison of the cities.
Reply 3
Original post by StarLinyx
This thread is a comparison between the campuses of the two unis, not a comparison of the cities.

Wow okay, way to be blunt 😂 I just thought that might be helpful to hear for a prospective applicant. Good luck with answering your very speicifc question I guess...?
Reply 4
Original post by rozsaysroar
Wow okay, way to be blunt 😂 I just thought that might be helpful to hear for a prospective applicant. Good luck with answering your very speicifc question I guess...?

Not really. Both Nottingham and Durham are quite rough as cities, with Nottingham more so in parts, although the job opportunities are far better for graduates staying for a while in Notts.
Durham is a collegiate University, it doesn’t have a “campus”, but it has loads of colleges and sites spread throughout the City. Nottingham University is based on one huge campus.

My brother went to Nottingham and I went to Durham so I have seen and spent time in both. They’re both really good in their own ways. Nottingham campus is beautiful, green, has a nice big lake, and loads of great facilities. Durham is a beautiful city and there’s loads of things to do, and there’s huge variety amongst all the colleges.

It’s difficult to compare them to be honest because they are very different styles. You can’t compare apples and oranges. But I was very happy at Durham and would highly recommend it
Reply 6
Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy
Durham is a collegiate University, it doesn’t have a “campus”, but it has loads of colleges and sites spread throughout the City. Nottingham University is based on one huge campus.

My brother went to Nottingham and I went to Durham so I have seen and spent time in both. They’re both really good in their own ways. Nottingham campus is beautiful, green, has a nice big lake, and loads of great facilities. Durham is a beautiful city and there’s loads of things to do, and there’s huge variety amongst all the colleges.

It’s difficult to compare them to be honest because they are very different styles. You can’t compare apples and oranges. But I was very happy at Durham and would highly recommend it

Nottingham actually has 5 campuses in total - University Park (main campus), Jubilee, Sutton Bonnington, x2 International campuses (Malaysia, China).
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Not really. Both Nottingham and Durham are quite rough as cities, with Nottingham more so in parts, although the job opportunities are far better for graduates staying for a while in Notts.

They can still be nice places to live, even if a bit rough in some parts. Every city has dodgy areas. Hope you find what you're looking for.
Reply 8
The videos clearly show that Nottingham is miles ahead of Durham for campus infrastructure, size, resources and facilities. I guess Durham found a way to game the UK league tables to make kids think it is better than it actually is.
Notts campus is way too big, took me 25 mins walk each day to get from my accommodation to my school in 1st year lmao
Reply 10
Original post by alexr19i8
Notts campus is way too big, took me 25 mins walk each day to get from my accommodation to my school in 1st year lmao

I was there for 3 years, and never saw some of it due to the size. But as long as you see the main sites that is enough.
The videos clearly show that Nottingham is miles ahead of Durham for campus infrastructure, size, resources and facilities. I guess Durham found a way to game the UK league tables to make kids think it is better than it actually is.

I don’t think Durham are deceiving anyone. It had a lot of good facilities when I was there (2004-2008) and since then, one of the alumni of my old college has donated millions of pounds which have all been ploughed into the facilities. I had a chance to visit my old college in 2019 to have a tour of the new facilities and they really are incredible, so the current and future students are very fortunate.

As for size, it’s spread across the whole city in lots of colleges so overall has a huge amount of space

Quick Reply

Latest