The Student Room Group

What age did you start/are starting cadets?

I’m turning 16 when I start army cadets. Was just curious how old people had been when they started cadets/are starting cadets and their experiences.
Reply 1
Original post by roscpctals673
I’m turning 16 when I start army cadets. Was just curious how old people had been when they started cadets/are starting cadets and their experiences.

I was 13 when I started (minimum age) and I transfered to CCF (I had a school change) when I was 16. When I left I had completed several courses and achieved the rank of RSM! Around when I joined there were 15/16 year olds joining and they enjoyed it as much as I did. It's definitely worth joining though as you could complete the first 2 training levels and become a LCpl/Cpl by the time you leave. My advice is to jump at every opportunity given to you - try out for ACF sports teams and attend as many courses as you can and definitely attend all the training camps as these are your opportunity to pass many parts of your training (ie shooting, fieldcraft and first aid).

I hope this helps :smile:
Original post by mjk9999
I was 13 when I started (minimum age) and I transfered to CCF (I had a school change) when I was 16. When I left I had completed several courses and achieved the rank of RSM! Around when I joined there were 15/16 year olds joining and they enjoyed it as much as I did. It's definitely worth joining though as you could complete the first 2 training levels and become a LCpl/Cpl by the time you leave. My advice is to jump at every opportunity given to you - try out for ACF sports teams and attend as many courses as you can and definitely attend all the training camps as these are your opportunity to pass many parts of your training (ie shooting, fieldcraft and first aid).

I hope this helps :smile:

Thank you for this, this was really helpful!
Do you possibly know when these opportunities are usually available? Are they on different months, annually, or are they completely at random? I want to be able to experience most army cadet activities in my time there.

Thank you again. :smile:
Reply 3
I started when I was 13, way back in the day, but a fellow member of staff joined when he was 16 and rocketed through the ranks and managed to achieve a lot despite only being a cadet for ~3 years.

If your staff are on the ball then joining 'late' is never going to be a hindrance.
Reply 4
We usually have "company" camps every 6-8 weeks or so, whenever we can fit them in. There is usually at least 1 thing per month, outside of a normal parade night, that you would be able to attend. This could be a few hours on a weekend, a whole day, or the whole weekend. There is of course annual camp in summer, which is usually 7-10 days or so, though this year things will be different due to covid.
Original post by Talon
We usually have "company" camps every 6-8 weeks or so, whenever we can fit them in. There is usually at least 1 thing per month, outside of a normal parade night, that you would be able to attend. This could be a few hours on a weekend, a whole day, or the whole weekend. There is of course annual camp in summer, which is usually 7-10 days or so, though this year things will be different due to covid.

Thank you for letting me know! :smile:
Thank you for letting me know! :smile:

i was 14 when i started army cadets but i have left because my friend did not want me there
Original post by sa18beckp
i was 14 when i started army cadets but i have left because my friend did not want me there

You should’ve stayed but applied for a different detachment if you enjoyed it :frown:
If you didn’t enjoy it all, I guess it’s not really a problem. 😭
I joined air cadets surprisingly aged 17, not long before my 18th birthday. Automatically, I soon become more of a staff asset helping deliver training etc. but enjoyed the perks of being a cadet until I aged out at 20 after completing many different camps, activities, climbing the rank structure and completing the academic side of the training. I even grabbed a pilot scholarship in my last year as a cadet.

It's never too late, until it is.
Reply 9
Thank you for this, this was really helpful!
Do you possibly know when these opportunities are usually available? Are they on different months, annually, or are they completely at random? I want to be able to experience most army cadet activities in my time there.

Thank you again. :smile:

There were company camps which occured every few months and the annual summer camp. There are some things where you may need to approach your staff and ask them when opportunities are available. Different areas advertise sports to varying degrees so ask when trials are. Once you've achieved a couple of training levels enquire about courses such as the Cadet Leadership Course. Also have a look at some adventurous training courses you may like to attend - even if they don't help you get promoted they're great experiences and look good to employers. https://www.armycadetadventure.co.uk/
Original post by mjk9999
There were company camps which occured every few months and the annual summer camp. There are some things where you may need to approach your staff and ask them when opportunities are available. Different areas advertise sports to varying degrees so ask when trials are. Once you've achieved a couple of training levels enquire about courses such as the Cadet Leadership Course. Also have a look at some adventurous training courses you may like to attend - even if they don't help you get promoted they're great experiences and look good to employers. https://www.armycadetadventure.co.uk/

Thank you, I wasn’t aware about this site and it was helpful. There are a few that I’m interested in. Would I have to enquire the staff about attending or will all cadet members be approached for these opportunities? Also, do you possibly know when cadets reopen?
Thank you
:smile:
Reply 11
Thank you, I wasn’t aware about this site and it was helpful. There are a few that I’m interested in. Would I have to enquire the staff about attending or will all cadet members be approached for these opportunities? Also, do you possibly know when cadets reopen?
Thank you

No problem. My detachment commander was really good and advertised all these opportunities to us, others don't and you have to look for them yourself and speak to cadets from other detachments to see what courses they've done and enquire about them.
I'm not sure when cadets reopens. Maybe have a look on the website and see if there are any contact details for the detachment you want to join. You could register your interest that way and they may even be able to start a bit of training with you online.
Original post by mjk9999
No problem. My detachment commander was really good and advertised all these opportunities to us, others don't and you have to look for them yourself and speak to cadets from other detachments to see what courses they've done and enquire about them.
I'm not sure when cadets reopens. Maybe have a look on the website and see if there are any contact details for the detachment you want to join. You could register your interest that way and they may even be able to start a bit of training with you online.

Thank you, I’ll be sure to enquire with the staff when I join! I’ve applied online months ago and they haven’t updated their site since or have gotten back to me. But, I’ll be sure to check their site for updates.
Reply 13
We are looking at getting back towards the end of April, though the exact date will vary locally.

Quick Reply

Latest