The Student Room Group

helpp with essayyy

I got a 1000 word essay on : Discuss the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of NSAIDs?
what do I need to include ? any ideas
I would begin by defining what NSAIDs are and giving a few examples.
Pharnacokinetics looks at what the body does to the drug in terms of absorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion. So you want to see if you can find rates of absorpton for specific NSAIDs and discuss how they are metabolised e.g. common metabolites formed. You could look at profiles of how long the drug remains active in the body.
In terms of pharmacodynamics that's what the drug does to the body i.e. how does it exert its therapeutic effects? I think NSAIDs mainly inhibit prostaglandin synthesis so you can explain why this leads to a reduction in inflammation.
1000 words isn't much so I would aim to structure it ~200 words introductions, definitions and conclusions. and the 400 words each on pharmacokinetics and dynamics.
Original post by bits.of.bio
Pharnacokinetics looks at what the body does to the drug in terms of absorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion. So you want to see if you can find rates of absorpton for specific NSAIDs and discuss how they are metabolised e.g. common metabolites formed. You could look at profiles of how long the drug remains active in the body.
In terms of pharmacodynamics that's what the drug does to the body i.e. how does it exert its therapeutic effects? I think NSAIDs mainly inhibit prostaglandin synthesis so you can explain why this leads to a reduction in inflammation.
1000 words isn't much so I would aim to structure it ~200 words introductions, definitions and conclusions. and the 400 words each on pharmacokinetics and dynamics.

thanks for this it is really helpful !
Very good answer above, I would mention when I studied pharmacology last (admittedly this was 5 years ago :eek:) there was a brief mention of "liberation" of drugs before Absorption, distribution, metabolism and excretion. This is largely where you do stuff like coated pills so that the drug isn't destroyed in the stomach before you get a chance to absorb it. Might be worth briefly mentioning this too
Original post by QuentinM
Very good answer above, I would mention when I studied pharmacology last (admittedly this was 5 years ago :eek:) there was a brief mention of "liberation" of drugs before Absorption, distribution, metabolism and excretion. This is largely where you do stuff like coated pills so that the drug isn't destroyed in the stomach before you get a chance to absorb it. Might be worth briefly mentioning this too

thank you so much , appreciate it
Original post by bits.of.bio

would you have an idea of what I could mention in the conclusion of this ?
Original post by questionssssssci
would you have an idea of what I could mention in the conclusion of this ?

Well you haven't really argued any points so I guess you really just want a quick summary of what you have covered above i.e.
In summation, NSAIDs primarily act via their inhibition of prostaglandin synthesis via COX enzyme inhibition....
As discussed above, most NSAIDs are taken orally and are well absorbed by the GI tract leading to high bioavailability. As highlighted above, some key exceptions to this are diclofenac etc...
Common NSAIDs have a variable half -life, ranging from 0.25 - 50 hours, which should be considered in the prescription to patients.

Check out
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5772852/#:~:text=NSAIDs%20are%20highly%20bound%20to,piroxicam%20%5B9%2C%2010%5D.
It summarises this things well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending