The Student Room Group

Skincare

Hey guys,

So I have very dry, like very dry and sensitive skin like my face gets rash and red and inflamed, my skin is also acne prone and i have forehead creases and under eye creases and very dark circles and hyperpigmentation. My face is also hella itchy. So what would you guys suggest I use on my face??

Also what's your opinion on vitamin c serum / oil for my skin type? Also I'm broke so anything that won't break the bank.

Thank youuuu
My top recommendation would be to make sure the products you use don't have any fragrance as this usually causes rashes and acne. I love the cerave cleanser and moisturiser and use ordinary products as well (just make sure you don't put too much on your face and clog your pores).
Do you use anything on your face currently? Does your face tend to get oily patches anywhere or is it all totally dry?

I'd be careful what products you use if you have rashes, extreme dry patches or anything else where the skin barrier is damaged- try something quite basic to start with to help the dryness, then address the acne and pigmentation.

I recently had a patch of severe dry skin that kept getting inflamed and sore and my doctor suggested dermol 500 (which you can get at the pharmacy). It's antimicrobial so good for when your skin is damaged and is safe for use on your face whereas a lot of dry skin creams tend to be comedogenic and clog pores (however if you do find dry skin creams labelled as non-comedogenic then they should be okay on your face)
A good Moisturiser that's fragrance free
Original post by marie12376987
My top recommendation would be to make sure the products you use don't have any fragrance as this usually causes rashes and acne. I love the cerave cleanser and moisturiser and use ordinary products as well (just make sure you don't put too much on your face and clog your pores).

All my products are fragrance free, even my shampoo, I've also started to use the Cerave cleanser so hopefully that helps me in some way. Do you have any suggestions on which ordinary products to use? Thank you.
Original post by PollyParrot23
Do you use anything on your face currently? Does your face tend to get oily patches anywhere or is it all totally dry?

I'd be careful what products you use if you have rashes, extreme dry patches or anything else where the skin barrier is damaged- try something quite basic to start with to help the dryness, then address the acne and pigmentation.

I recently had a patch of severe dry skin that kept getting inflamed and sore and my doctor suggested dermol 500 (which you can get at the pharmacy). It's antimicrobial so good for when your skin is damaged and is safe for use on your face whereas a lot of dry skin creams tend to be comedogenic and clog pores (however if you do find dry skin creams labelled as non-comedogenic then they should be okay on your face)

I have no oily patches my face is completely dry. What would you suggest for pigmentation? Thank you and I hope your skins glowing now!
Original post by rahm01
I have no oily patches my face is completely dry. What would you suggest for pigmentation? Thank you and I hope your skins glowing now!

Gentle exfoliation helps with pigmentation over time, alpha hydroxy acid serums like glycolic acid and lactic acid are good for that but I'd be very careful with dry skin because they can be irritating. Vitamin C like you mentioned before is also good. I think lactic acid is usually the acid recommended for dry skin (but double check!). Superdrug does their own brand of serums that are reasonably cheap. Do a patch test, see how your skin reacts and if its okay and doesn't cause irritation then use these once or twice a week

Quick Reply

Latest