The Student Room Group

panicking rn...is it possible to go from grade 3 to a 6/7 for english literature?

is it possible to go from grade 3 to a 6/7 for english literature aqa because our gcses are not based on predicted grades but on evidence. i only have 1 sets of mock which will determine my final grade can someone that has got a grade 9 in literature tutor me... maybe someone who has done much ado about nothing

thanks
what are you struggling with in lit?
and what did you achieve on your mocks
Reply 2
Original post by -euphoricals
what are you struggling with in lit?
and what did you achieve on your mocks

i’m struggling with the essays in particular - i don’t know how to make my essays range from a grade 6 to a 9. i got a grade 3 in my mocks but i am predicted a 4
alr im in year 10 currently but I'm really good with Eng. lit and so far I've been achieving 9s which I am predicted so I can definitely help,

Original post by jae jae
i’m struggling with the essays in particular - i don’t know how to make my essays range from a grade 6 to a 9. i got a grade 3 in my mocks but i am predicted a 4

when it comes to essays there's a particular structure you need to follow
P oint
E vidence
E xplain
L ink (to question)

when observing the question highlight what its asking you to do eg. 'How has the author structured the text to interest the reader'
if its an extract based question and it specify certain lines you need to pay attention to eg 'lines 16-21' then highlight or box that off on the extract.
its also good to have a decent knowledge of subject terminology because it adds depth to your analysis, eg
-adjective
-similie
-metaphor
-personification
another good thing to remember is sentence starters and other good phrases which will add depth to your writing further
you must never write 'it paints a picture in the readers head' or 'it makes the reader want to read on'
because we already know that, here are some phrases i've memorised and like to use
- This suggests,
-This compellingly conveys,
-This provides clear evidence that
-This reinforces a concept that,
-It evokes a sense of curiosity for the reader

when it comes to revising for eng lit, your best way it just repetition and practicing your essay structure, make sure you have a good grasp of being able to analyse a piece of writing and understand what the question is asking you.
moved this into gcse's and changed title for you so you should get more relevant replies :yep:
How long till your exams? If you're working at a 3 now it will be quite difficult to get up to a 7 in such a short space of time.

However if you learn your quotes, know how to analyse texts + quotes and learn the exam technique then it is definitely possible. Take a look at examiners' reports for your exam board as these tell you exactly what examiners are looking for in the different types of questions so you know how to answer them

Work hord from now and you can do it.
Reply 6
Original post by Incede
How long till your exams? If you're working at a 3 now it will be quite difficult to get up to a 7 in such a short space of time.

However if you learn your quotes, know how to analyse texts + quotes and learn the exam technique then it is definitely possible. Take a look at examiners' reports for your exam board as these tell you exactly what examiners are looking for in the different types of questions so you know how to answer them

Work hord from now and you can do it.

do you think a grade 6 will be fine?
Original post by jae jae
do you think a grade 6 will be fine?

Yes, but don't spend time thinking about can I reach grade X - you can worry about this on results day. Spend the time you have now to revise and work your way up, you can easily boost your grade multiple levels if you work well and work hard
Reply 8
I would say look at high level module essays and understand what you need to do to improve your essays and just practice, practice and practice giving your essays to a teacher or tutor to mark and act on the feedback. You could also do quizlet or seneca for learning quotes if you are not strong in that.

Quick Reply

Latest