The Student Room Group

The effect of studying the usmle for uk medical school exams

Are there strong similarities between studying for usmle exam and uk medical school exams?
I dont think I will work as a doc in america therefore not do the usmle, and I was thinking about whether I should study for the usmle (basically learn the first aid book) on top of my med school lectures to boost my knowledge; by the way I may not pay for anything and I got the first aid book for free online.
Having said this, do doctors/ registrars in specialty training, consultants in uk do the usmle exam?
I was thinking that if I am in my mid 30s and I want to go to US to work if I have completed all of the usmle exams I have the freedom to do so? Is there an expiry date to the usmle e.g I do all of the usmle exams within the 7 year window and I can apply to the US whenever in my life?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What are the pros and cons of being a neurosurgeon in the uk as opposed to the us?
Original post by wyann LT
What are the pros and cons of being a neurosurgeon in the uk as opposed to the us?

:facepalm:

Anyway, entertaining this for a minute, essentially in the US the training period is shorter to the equivalent CCT level in the UK. However that is because the US does not have EU worknig directive laws in place, which means you can and will work 80-120 hour weeks regularly there, and have 24-48 hour shifts regularly. You will have zero quality of life as a trainee doctor in the US, especially in surgical specialties. Something to note is that as far as I'm aware many neurosurgery programmes in the US mandate their trainees undertake a period of research, many choosing to get a PhD in that time. This may or may not be desirable, and if you got a PhD then it might take longer to qualify.
Reply 3
I was contemplating the idea of training in the US when I get older e.g. mid 30s- 40s
...but I wanted to know if there is a major difference e.g in US th training is 7 years for neuro and uk is 8 for neuro
I was contemplating the idea of training in the US when I get older e.g. mid 30s- 40s
...but I wanted to know if there is a major difference e.g in US th training is 7 years for neuro and uk is 8 for neuro

Mate by the time you're in your mid-30s or 40s you'll be wanting to finish training not start it in another country.

Maybe focus on getting into medical school first?!
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
:facepalm:

Anyway, entertaining this for a minute, essentially in the US the training period is shorter to the equivalent CCT level in the UK. However that is because the US does not have EU worknig directive laws in place, which means you can and will work 80-120 hour weeks regularly there, and have 24-48 hour shifts regularly. You will have zero quality of life as a trainee doctor in the US, especially in surgical specialties. Something to note is that as far as I'm aware many neurosurgery programmes in the US mandate their trainees undertake a period of research, many choosing to get a PhD in that time. This may or may not be desirable, and if you got a PhD then it might take longer to qualify.

Q What are the training hours for neurosurgeons in the uk under eu working directive? Q Does it essentially means that if a neurosurgeon in the uk worked for the same number of hours as a neurosurgeon in the US, they can gain far higher income?
Am I correct in saying that basically being a neurosurgeon in the US is far more draining/exhausting and cannot enjoy your lifestyle as much as opposed to the UK
Reply 6
What happens if you opt out of EWTD and just do more extra hours for further income? Is that illegal?
Q What are the training hours for neurosurgeons in the uk under eu working directive? Q Does it essentially means that if a neurosurgeon in the uk worked for the same number of hours as a neurosurgeon in the US, they can gain far higher income?
Am I correct in saying that basically being a neurosurgeon in the US is far more draining/exhausting and cannot enjoy your lifestyle as much as opposed to the UK

Ecolier I think has answered this quite well, although I would point out on the US side while doctors there do earn more, they also personally pay for their medical malpractice insurance out of pocket which is a significant outgoing for most doctors in the US. I'm not entirely sure how it works here, I might've thought that was covered by the NHS and this could account for some of the differences in the final salary, since you aren't going to be paying that yourself here? (or any of the TSR doctors!) would know more about that than me though :colondollar:

Also something to note that the top end averages for US doctors are for those working for themselves in private practice. To be successful in doing so, this requires some entrepreneurial skills which medical school isn't necessarily going to prepare you for, and you will have various overheads (rent for your work place, salaries you pay to your nurses and administrative staff and any other doctors on your staff), etc. Also this is not something you can do as a trainee doctor, and hospital based doctors tend to earn on average less than those working for themselves. Further, given the nature of neurosurgery I don't think you're likely to be able to open your own private practice for that anyway...

A practical matter to consider as well is that you would actually need to get into a neurosurgical training programme in the US first (well, as noted above you actually need to get into medical school first if you are not already a medical student), the chances of which are basically zero if you aren't a US citizen. Due to how US working visa sponsorship works, you will only realistically be able to apply to undersubscribed specialties (e.g. family medicine, rural medicine, psychiatry), and even then you need to be really standout. To be sponsored for a working visa in the US, your employer needs to demonstrate there are no suitably qualified American applicants for that job. Even if that is the case, you then need to beat out many other well qualified and talented IMGs for those spots. Thus, for something like neurosurgery (or any surgical training programme), this will never be the case, because there will always be plenty of American applicants who are qualified for it (more than there are spaces on such programmes). I gather it's also hard for IMGs anyway due to requirements to get their degrees validated as equivalent to a US MD, and possible prejudice against them in the hiring process (which, because it's the US, there are undoubtedly very few laws against).
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Is it good to use the USMLE first aid textbook as a good medical school textbook for the uk curriculum and learning in uk med schools in general as the book covers all the topics such as embryology, immunology, pathology anatomy, physiology, genetics, biochemistry etc, instead of buying massive textbooks which is only about physiology (e.g guytons)?
I know the med school exams will be set using only lectures, but having a textbook to add a different perspective is nice?
btw I have the usmle first aid book for free online so is it worth reading and making notes for uk med school prep

thanks
Reply 9
liverpool
Reply 10
1st year; i dont wanna read books on e.g immunology or biochemistry as there is soo much content I just dont need to know about so I though it would be good to read the usmle first aid book as it splits all the general principles down that medics can use
Is this a good idea?
Reply 11
This is what the website says so yea I guess I would be tested on each system block:
'In Years 1 and 2, the emphasis of the programme’s study is on basic and clinical sciences. These are taught using an integrated ‘Systems’ approach. Each System Block includes physiology, biochemistry, pathology, microbiology, immunology, pharmacology and anatomy, genetics and cell and molecular biology. The emphasis of Year 1 teaching is on the structure and function of the human body under ‘normal’ conditions'.

I just want to find a textbook which covers the information that I need and require for med school; I got grays and have been reading and making notes/ flashcards on it for the past few months bc as a med student u would need to know all about the anatomy right? but I have not touched pathology, embryology, biochem etc; I made some flashcards on physiology from guytons but i have yet to find a book that covers all the necessary infor other than the usmle first aid book?
Reply 12
ye im deferred entry (currently on my gap year)
1st year; i dont wanna read books on e.g immunology or biochemistry as there is soo much content I just dont need to know about so I though it would be good to read the usmle first aid book as it splits all the general principles down that medics can use
Is this a good idea?

You've made posts saying you're a deferred entry student who will start at Liverpool in October 2021. You've also posted about being a current medical student who is applying to Cambridge for a PhD "in the near future". Now you're a first year student. Which is it?
Reply 14
I just wanna get on with med school as soon as I start bc there is a lot of extra stuff I need to nod outside med to boost cv/portfolio to get to my end goal specialty; Im just preparing for obstacles standing in my way really; do you think the pre reading I am doin atm is good; shall I incorporate usmle first aid reading into my time as well?
Reply 15
Original post by Incidentaloma
You've made posts saying you're a deferred entry student who will start at Liverpool in October 2021. You've also posted about being a current medical student who is applying to Cambridge for a PhD "in the near future". Now you're a first year student. Which is it?

The first statement is true, but I do technically see myself as being a current med student as everything is confirmed and the cambridge phd thing is something I am strongly considering after med school; I like to plan things out lol
We use Naish medical sciences at Bristol. Whilst I would normally be very anti textbook as a sole source of knowledge type thing our course is basically in year 1 at least mapped to the book so it is very useful although a bit light on some things for example embryology for which we use something else. Don’t do much before you start though
The first statement is true, but I do technically see myself as being a current med student as everything is confirmed and the cambridge phd thing is something I am strongly considering after med school; I like to plan things out lol

I really do get concerned about people who say stuff like this on TSR - honestly not saying this in a mean way, it's just important to know when to switch off, especially as a medical student or doctor.

If you're looking for pre-clinical medicine in one book I'd either suggest Naish or the Oxford Handbook of Medical Sciences. Both are highly in-depth and equivalent to >3 years worth of teaching.

I actually did use First Aid during my pre-clinical exams but more for the mnemonics and summarised facts rather than basing my revision off it. You should focus on the learning objectives your medical school eventually gives you rather than going off-piste and using books mapped to another country's curriculum.

That is all beside the point however. It is March and you are presumably not starting until at least September. I promise you that when you are older you are never going to think to yourself "gosh, I wish I'd done more anatomy or physiology reading in the months before I started medical school".
Reply 18
Original post by Democracy
I really do get concerned about people who say stuff like this on TSR - honestly not saying this in a mean way, it's just important to know when to switch off, especially as a medical student or doctor.

If you're looking for pre-clinical medicine in one book I'd either suggest Naish or the Oxford Handbook of Medical Sciences. Both are highly in-depth and equivalent to >3 years worth of teaching.

I actually did use First Aid during my pre-clinical exams but more for the mnemonics and summarised facts rather than basing my revision off it. You should focus on the learning objectives your medical school eventually gives you rather than going off-piste and using books mapped to another country's curriculum.

That is all beside the point however. It is March and you are presumably not starting until at least September. I promise you that when you are older you are never going to think to yourself "gosh, I wish I'd done more anatomy or physiology reading in the months before I started medical school".

I fully understand you, I just dont wanna lose my touch in education; I do take rest; I aint studying 10h a day or anything, but just keeping active; I cant think of myself going through a whole year without studying or learning anything hahaha
I fully understand you, I just dont wanna lose my touch in education; I do take rest; I aint studying 10h a day or anything, but just keeping active; I cant think of myself going through a whole year without studying or learning anything hahaha

If you really are wanting just a single, highly relevant book with no frills or extras, then its the Oxford handbook of clinical medicine. It used to be the literally Oxford clinical syllabus written out and explained, and subsequent alterations haven't made it any less relevant.

The Oxford handbook of medical sciences still is pretty much the Oxford preclinical syllabus written out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending