The Student Room Group

4th and 5th UCAS choices

Hi, I am an international student and will apply to international relations (and/or politics) courses next year.

I already chose three other universities (Cambridge, LSE and UCL) for my UCAS application, but as you can see having trouble regarding the fourth and fifth choice. I have four options: Edinburgh, Durham, Manchester and Warwick. What do you think? Which two universities should I apply to?

My grades and stuff are more than enough for being admitted so my question is only about the prestige, student life etc.

Thank you in advance.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by myt27
Hi, I am an international student and will apply to international relations (and/or politics) courses next year.

I already chose three other universities (Cambridge, LSE and UCL) for my UCAS application, but as you can see having trouble regarding the fourth and fifth choice. I have four options: Edinburgh, Durham, Manchester and Warwick. What do you think? Which two universities should I apply to?

My grades and stuff are more than enough for being admitted so my question is only about the prestige, student life etc.

Thank you in advance.

Apply to the 3 you're sure of before the 15 October deadline
Add the other 2 in January 2022 before the 15 January deadline when you might have had some decisions from those first 3 and have had more time to research.
Original post by myt27

Thank you in advance.

I wouldnt be as confident as you are. . Cambridge and LSE reject many more applicants than they accept even students who exceed their entry standards. All are very prestigious with Cambridge and LSE being the best rated. You need to think of an option requiring lower grades as you dont want to be one of the people every year who gets 5 rejections
Reply 3
Original post by swanseajack1
I wouldnt be as confident as you are. . Cambridge and LSE reject many more applicants than they accept even students who exceed their entry standards. All are very prestigious with Cambridge and LSE being the best rated. You need to think of an option requiring lower grades as you dont want to be one of the people every year who gets 5 rejections

Of course I am not %100 confident about the LSE, Cambridge and UCL. That’s exactly why I’m trying to decide on my 4th and 5th choices, as a “safe”. And by saying “my grades are more than enough”, I meant for my 4th and 5th university options, not the other three.
Original post by myt27
Of course I am not %100 confident about the LSE, Cambridge and UCL. That’s exactly why I’m trying to decide on my 4th and 5th choices, as a “safe”. And by saying “my grades are more than enough”, I meant for my 4th and 5th university options, not the other three.

I think we need to know a bit more about what you are looking for in a uni before giving you any advice.
Original post by myt27

Thank you in advance.

?Prestige? You should be looking at the course content not league tables ...
Original post by Muttley79
?Prestige? You should be looking at the course content not league tables ...

Just to add on this i have just searched up each uni and their politics degree (idk which specific degrees you applied for at each uni as u mentioned u applied to a couple different ones) and they all seem to be quite different to one another at first glance. You might want to take that into consideration as you should really love the course.
Original post by something_orphic
Just to add on this i have just searched up each uni and their politics degree (idk which specific degrees you applied for at each uni as u mentioned u applied to a couple different ones) and they all seem to be quite different to one another at first glance. You might want to take that into consideration as you should really love the course.

Sorry? I think you've replied to the wrong person.
Original post by Muttley79
Sorry? I think you've replied to the wrong person.

No i meant to the OP sorry i didnt make it very clear i am tired aha. :facepalm:
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
Apply to the 3 you're sure of before the 15 October deadline
Add the other 2 in January 2022 before the 15 January deadline when you might have had some decisions from those first 3 and have had more time to research.

Wait you can add choices after you’ve sent your application off if you didn’t pick all 5?
Original post by A0125
Wait you can add choices after you’ve sent your application off if you didn’t pick all 5?

Yes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending