The Student Room Group

Are there any dentists accepting NHS patients during covid?

I contacted a few dentists around my area, and all said they only work privately during the pandemic, or doesn't take new patients... Are there any dentists working with NHS now? If so, how/where do I find them?
NHS website listed a few, but they all refused to take me.
I'm a uni student and have a hc2 which means dentist should be free, so I rather wait a few weeks/months than paying 100-200 pounds for private job 😬
Anywhere in West Yorkshire would be good
Reply 1
Hi! I had a similar problem a few weeks ago, my advice is that if it’s something serious, such as pain that you can’t stand etc. Call 111 and they should be able to help you access an emergency appointment, but for a routine check up it’s going to be difficult, I called 25 dentists in London before I found one willing to take me...
Yeah for some reason no dentists are bothering with doing check ups or taking new patients as I have tried all of the ones in the local area and unless you are in real pain etc then they aren't interested they keep saying to try again in a few months. I have been trying for over 6 months to try and see a dentist. You could try 111 who might be able to refer you to a dentist which might not be overly local but it would really depend on how they classify your need.
Original post by scorpion95
Yeah for some reason no dentists are bothering with doing check ups or taking new patients as I have tried all of the ones in the local area and unless you are in real pain etc then they aren't interested they keep saying to try again in a few months. I have been trying for over 6 months to try and see a dentist. You could try 111 who might be able to refer you to a dentist which might not be overly local but it would really depend on how they classify your need.

Whilst your frustration is understandable, the issue is not that “no dentists are bothering with doing check ups or taking new patients”. The COVID-19 pandemic has taken a massive toll on the way dentistry can function and as a result a lot of internal reform has been and continues to take place. I assure you, dentists want to do their jobs as much as patients want to see them for their issues. This is not an issue that any individual dentist or dental practice can control.

Just putting that here so that people don’t continue to blame dentists for the lack of access in the present time :smile:
Reply 4

One of my teeth at the back broke, and always gets filled up with food. It doesn't hurt, but very annoying. My other teeth next to that become very sensitive to hot and cold, even if I breath in the cold air. It doesn't cause pain continuously though, only rarely. Should I try calling 111 with these issues?
Original post by Anonymous
One of my teeth at the back broke, and always gets filled up with food. It doesn't hurt, but very annoying. My other teeth next to that become very sensitive to hot and cold, even if I breath in the cold air. It doesn't cause pain continuously though, only rarely. Should I try calling 111 with these issues?

Yeah nothing wrong with phoning them, they will either say nothing they can do or they will refer you somewhere. Maybe do what the majority of other people do and just say you are in a lot of pain so you can get seen and get it sorted.
Reply 6
Yeah nothing wrong with phoning them, they will either say nothing they can do or they will refer you somewhere. Maybe do what the majority of other people do and just say you are in a lot of pain so you can get seen and get it sorted.

I don’t fully agree with this, don’t lie about your symptoms to the people you’re gonna ask to help you. If you want a problem to be taken care of appropriately they need to know the full big picture. If you know yourself it’s not a big issue there’s a reason why they’re not taking many people right now; it’s a pandemic and they’re seeing emergency cases.
Reply 7
Update:

I called NHS for an emergency appointment on monday, and now they just called me that my appointment has been booked for wednesday. That was quick. Broken and/or sensitive teeths are calssafied as emergency. No one asked me questions, I just filled in the form on the NHS website and asked for a call back. I'll directly call the surgery tomorrow just in case, to confirm my appointment. I'm scared, I never been to a dentist in this country before 😅

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending