The Student Room Group

Real Gap Experiences

Hi,

I am planning on travelling next year.

I am after any reviews about Real Gap Experiences. I can not find too many reviews online. This is my first time solo travelling so I liked the idea of them organising it and being able to travel as a group.

I am planning on do a variety of experiences with them - South Africa, China, journey through Japan and the Round the World Trip.

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Idk if this would even work but its just an idea. What if there was a way to go to different countries in the alphabetical order? It sure would be interesting
Going alphabetically would be visibly more satisfying and easier to mark off a check list!

The way I have worked it out means that I can be in each country during the best season - The different countries are based on ideas from the Real Gap experiences. But I can't find too many reviews about them - which doesn't provide me with too much confidence.
Try going on websites you usually don’t visit! Although a few of the reviews might not be helpful you will find something that will help you!
Reply 4
Travelling on your own without the companies gives you a bigger sense of achievement and its a lot easier to move around.

I've went with another company first time I went solo travelling and for what I got it wasn't worth the extra £800ish. At the end I was like yeah it was a cool experience but thought to myself, well I could have done all that on my own..
Reply 5
Also from all the countries I've visited I've never met anyone who has been with RealGap.
I am quite poor at organising - is there anything that you can suggest which made it a bit easier?

I have some understanding of what I want to do but when I go to organise it I get a bit overwhelmed. I'm a little bit anxious about travelling completely solo for my first time. Any pointers would be great!
Original post by antonialmorgan
Hi,

I am planning on travelling next year.

I am after any reviews about Real Gap Experiences. I can not find too many reviews online. This is my first time solo travelling so I liked the idea of them organising it and being able to travel as a group.

I am planning on do a variety of experiences with them - South Africa, China, journey through Japan and the Round the World Trip.

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

If you're going through Japan don't miss Indonesia. You'll love the people here. I've been here since 2 years and its fun!
im considering a gap year, so just posting to subscribe lol :smile:
Reply 9
I am quite poor at organising - is there anything that you can suggest which made it a bit easier?

I have some understanding of what I want to do but when I go to organise it I get a bit overwhelmed. I'm a little bit anxious about travelling completely solo for my first time. Any pointers would be great!

My best advice - don't bother having a plan on what you want to do each day.
That way you cant be disappointed if something doesn't go to plan - which happens more often than you think.

Just pick a few things you'd like to do, research them and turn up then see what happens.
I'm assuming you'll be staying in hostels? 9/10 times you'll meet someone who has the same ideas and wants to tag along. Or they may even have an idea that you've never thought of and it might be interesting.
Original post by Qxi.xli

I've had 2 gap years,
1 was academic and the other was for travelling and it was through South Asia.

Anyways, you could've just clicked watch... lol!
I'm on my 5th gap year ahaha
Original post by spanker
My best advice - don't bother having a plan on what you want to do each day.
That way you cant be disappointed if something doesn't go to plan - which happens more often than you think.

Just pick a few things you'd like to do, research them and turn up then see what happens.
I'm assuming you'll be staying in hostels? 9/10 times you'll meet someone who has the same ideas and wants to tag along. Or they may even have an idea that you've never thought of and it might be interesting.

Thank you. I think I’ll have to just work on reassuring myself that having a flexi plan is okay. I’m sure once I’ve started I’ll be fine. It’s just daunting the initial steps of organising etc.

Have you done much travelling?
Original post by spanker
I'm on my 5th gap year ahaha

What sort of things have you done on your gap years?
Original post by Kk1999
I've had 2 gap years,
1 was academic and the other was for travelling and it was through South Asia.

Anyways, you could've just clicked watch... lol!

lol okk
Original post by Qxi.xli

Have you any idea of what you want to do yet? There’s so much out there!🤦🏼*♀️😬
Thank you. I think I’ll have to just work on reassuring myself that having a flexi plan is okay. I’m sure once I’ve started I’ll be fine. It’s just daunting the initial steps of organising etc.

Have you done much travelling?

Yeah the hardest part was booking the first flight and getting on the plane. Once that's done its easier from there.

Once you start you don't want to stop.

I've done a fair few countries - adding Australia later this year (hopefully).

As for your other question its mainly living in a different country for 6+ months and working there then jumping to a new place.
This is the longest I've been back in the UK for since I was 19.
(25 now)
Oh wow. You really caught the travelling bug then!!

Are there any good sites you’d recommend for booking hostels?
Oh wow. You really caught the travelling bug then!!

Are there any good sites you’d recommend for booking hostels?

Hostelworld
Booking. Com

Generally I look on either of those then go to the hostels own website

Sometimes it's cheaper

Quick Reply

Latest