The Student Room Group

how can i lose 3 stone?

hi!
i want to lose 3 stone as fast as possible, preferably before september. i obviously can’t go to a gym right now due to the pandemic, and i cant choose & cook my own meals as i still live at home. i’m not comfortable with going outside running as my anxiety won’t allow it.

i mostly want to lose weight on my stomach, hips, arms & thighs if i was to be specific.

does anyone have any advice for me? i’m unsure on what exercises etc to do
Have you considered simply eating less/stop snacking and eating things such as weetabix or porridge in the mornings? Those cereals typically only contain about 200 calories per serving.

I personally also like to go on long walks and normally rack up 12km simply walking daily around my area. Here’s a app I’ve been using for a couple of years now showing you today’s exercise.

Obviously if I jogged I would burn more but right now I’m working on losing weight. I will work on gaining fitness in a few weeks hopefully. 🙂

Attachment not found
(edited 3 years ago)
Please ignore the bigger number one. Same process but decided to double up my efforts that day! That wasn’t a typical day for me!
Restrict your sugar, carbs and general caloric intake. Exercise, weights if you can (if you're a chick than go for toning over building muscle unless you're into that). Running is great but since you can't, try high intensity work outs you can do at home. Calisthenics too, build up endurance. Try to eat healthy if you can, if you can't (say poverty or access to healthy food) then eat less than you are and exercise more, however healthy eating really is encouraged for long term weight loss. Weight loss happens when you use more calories than you take in.
(edited 3 years ago)
Oh, before I forget. If you’re going to get porridge, DO NOT get the microwave 2 minute ones! I watch a programme called “Food unwrapped” and they done a study on this. Microwave ones DON’T fill you up and keep you full! Mainly because the oats are smaller meaning your stomach pushes them through faster, so if you get porridge and want to stay full longer, you’ll need to use the proper stuff!
Original post by V℮rsions
Restrict your sugar, carbs and general caloric intake. Exercise, weights if you can (if you're a chick than go for toning over building muscle unless you're into that). Running is great but since you can't, try high intensity work outs you can do at home. Calisthenics too, build up endurance. Try to eat healthy if you can, if you can't (say poverty or access to healthy food) then eat less than you are and exercise more, however healthy eating really is encouraged for long term weight loss. Weight loss happens when you use more calories than you take in.

1. Why do they need to restrict carb and sugar intake?

2. What is toning?

3. Why should a woman train differently to a man?
Reply 6
Original post by username5209002
hi!
i want to lose 3 stone as fast as possible, preferably before september. i obviously can’t go to a gym right now due to the pandemic, and i cant choose & cook my own meals as i still live at home. i’m not comfortable with going outside running as my anxiety won’t allow it.

i mostly want to lose weight on my stomach, hips, arms & thighs if i was to be specific.

What kind of food do you eat at home for breakfast, lunch and dinner? Will there be a point where you have lunch somewhere else like school?

You don't have to run if you go outside, just start with walking and then up the pace so that it's a brisk walk.

PS Do you have a special event in mind in September?
Original post by Nutritionist
1. Why do they need to restrict carb and sugar intake?

2. What is toning?

3. Why should a woman train differently to a man?

1. To reduce the amount of glucose in the bloodstream, which causes insulin spikes. I'm no BSc or anything, but does it not then cause the body to burn the excess glucose before it is able to switch towards burning fat ?

2. Toning I believe is when you burn the fat that lies in between the muscle fibres.

3. Well I'd assume there's some physiological differences, but when I said you'd want to tone rather than build muscle I just came from the presumption women don't want more muscle and instead want defined figures, perhaps stereotypical of me.

Am I being G checked o_o
Original post by V℮rsions
1. To reduce the amount of glucose in the bloodstream, which causes insulin spikes. I'm no BSc or anything, but does it not then cause the body to burn the excess glucose before it is able to switch towards burning fat ?

2. Toning I believe is when you burn the fat that lies in between the muscle fibres.

3. Well I'd assume there's some physiological differences, but when I said you'd want to tone rather than build muscle I just came from the presumption women don't want more muscle and instead want defined figures, perhaps stereotypical of me.

Am I being G checked o_o

I understand that you were trying to help, and I get the the general idea of what you meant, but the information is slightly off I’m afraid.

1. The human body isn’t as acute as that. Fat loss is a more prolonged, chronic process that comes down to calories. Switching out the calories from carbs for calories from fat or protein will have a near enough identical effect on fat loss over a 24 hour period. Sugar might need to be limited from a health perspective, but not just when talking in terms of fat loss. More complex carbs don’t need to be limited in either case. Let’s say you eat 100 calories of carbs, and need to burn those off before you’ll burn fat. Now let’s say you eat 100 calories of fat - you’re burning fat straight away but you’ve just eaten 100 cals of fat that’s going to be stored a few hours later. I’ve simplified that quite a lot, but it’s ultimately the same result on your body fat.

2. Toning doesn’t really mean anything. You either lose fat or gain muscle. You can’t target fat loss in certain areas through rep range selection, and you certainly can’t change whether you burn subcutaneous or intramuscular fat. It’s genetic.

3. Sort of similar situation to the second point. But also, men and women can train pretty much the same. The muscle building physiological pathway is exactly the same, women just have less anabolic hormones. But that doesn’t affect how they should train.

😊
Reply 9
Original post by username5209002
hi!

Do you want to lose weight or need to lose weight?

What is your age, height and current weight?

You shouldn't lose weight quickly; that's not a healthy and sustainable way to do it.

You can't spot reduce fat, so you can't target which areas of your body you will lose fat from.

Quick Reply

Latest