The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Starting uni in January

Hi, I have an offer for bcu children's nursing to start next january. I'm initially a bit unsure about starting in january. What is it like starting in jan? Doesn't have to be bcu but do you get a freshers week? Did you feel a bit weird starting mid way through the year?
Reply 1
Original post by Bethd252
Hi, I have an offer for bcu children's nursing to start next january. I'm initially a bit unsure about starting in january. What is it like starting in jan? Doesn't have to be bcu but do you get a freshers week? Did you feel a bit weird starting mid way through the year?

Hey, I've just accepted my offer for Child Nursing at BCU starting in January. I'd heard the September intake was going to fill up quickly! I haven't found any info on the website so far but I'm sure something will be figured out freshes-wise, Covid depending obviously! I don't think it'll feel strange starting in January, a lot of the healthcare courses have a January intake so there'll be a lot of us. As long as you like the Uni and the course that's the main thing!
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Yeah good point. I'm still deciding. If I put it down as first it will be exciting to meet.
Thank you! Good advice
Reply 3
Original post by cececilxo
There is usually a "refreshers" type thing which happens in January which is essentially freshers for January intake. I would imagine (well hope) by next January it will go ahead!

that's cool. Thank you.. Do you know much about how January intake works,please?
Reply 4
Original post by cececilxo
In regards to what in particular?

Is it harder to fit in? Do you have the same opportunities as september intake? If you stay in accommodation are you purely with January intake and is the choice of accommodation limited because september intake have taken it? Do you have the same holidays as september intake? Sorry for all the questions. Don't worry if you don't know I'm just thinking out loud. Did you start in january?
Thank you for your help. It means a lot :smile:
Reply 5
That sounds good. Thank you for your help
I have an offer to start in jan too. But im waiting to see other unis if they offer sep or not. Cause it seems kinda weird. Hopefully you have fun
Is it harder to fit in? Do you have the same opportunities as september intake? If you stay in accommodation are you purely with January intake and is the choice of accommodation limited because september intake have taken it? Do you have the same holidays as september intake? Sorry for all the questions. Don't worry if you don't know I'm just thinking out loud. Did you start in january?
Thank you for your help. It means a lot :smile:

Omg these are great questions i never thought of 😭😭😭
Hey, I’ve got an offer from Bcu for child nursing aswell but for the January 2023 intake and I was wondering how your uni experience for the first year and how does it work to when you start university January?
I’m doing child nursing bcu in Jan 2023 as well🤣😌
Original post by NazAhmed
Hey, I’ve got an offer from Bcu for child nursing aswell but for the January 2023 intake and I was wondering how your uni experience for the first year and how does it work to when you start university January?

How was it starting in jan im starting jan 2024

Hi @Bethd252

Congratulations on your offer!!

There are so many students who start in January, so yes, we do have a freshers week in Jan! And it is brilliant, lots of students attend these events.

I think someone has already mentioned this, but yes starting in January is very common with health courses, especially Nursing. Nursing has to be one of the most popular courses we have at BCU so we need two cohorts, one starting in Sept and one in Jan.

I can't imagine that it would feel weird at all. You are usually closest to those on your course so you will all be doing the same, it will just feel normal. Yes, it is different from the academic year you would have experienced at school/college. But like everything you just get used to it:smile:

I hope this helps!

Anastasia
BCU Student Rep
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @Bethd252

Congratulations on your offer!!

There are so many students who start in January, so yes, we do have a freshers week in Jan! And it is brilliant, lots of students attend these events.

I think someone has already mentioned this, but yes starting in January is very common with health courses, especially Nursing. Nursing has to be one of the most popular courses we have at BCU so we need two cohorts, one starting in Sept and one in Jan.

I can't imagine that it would feel weird at all. You are usually closest to those on your course so you will all be doing the same, it will just feel normal. Yes, it is different from the academic year you would have experienced at school/college. But like everything you just get used to it:smile:

I hope this helps!

Anastasia
BCU Student Rep

What about the question regarding accommodations? Are there sufficient accommodations for Jan intakes considering most available slots will be occupied by September intakes
Original post by Anonymous #1
How was it starting in jan im starting jan 2024

Hey im starting in jan 2024 aswel are you at BCU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending