The Student Room Group

The Evolution of EGB- a year 11 GYG

Scroll to see replies

I have a job in a cafe (now a takeaway) where I work on the weekends and in the holiday although I take a break over exam season.i still just about manage revising, which is a bit easier thanks to lockdown.
I usually use mug cake recipes from Pinterest .Today I had a peanut butter one and it was 🤤
Stairway Learning is actually a revision website a bit like Seneca for biology maths and physics, and I would really recommend it, because it condenses information And makes it easy to remember.
Original post by TheNotoriousEGB
I have a job in a cafe (now a takeaway) where I work on the weekends and in the holiday although I take a break over exam season.i still just about manage revising, which is a bit easier thanks to lockdown.
I usually use mug cake recipes from Pinterest .Today I had a peanut butter one and it was 🤤
Stairway Learning is actually a revision website a bit like Seneca for biology maths and physics, and I would really recommend it, because it condenses information And makes it easy to remember.

ahhh that makes sense - it's good to have a bit of income on the side so you can kind of take care of yourself or save up for things you need. I hope to also get like a part time job in sixth form but I guess we'll see how things go. I'll see if I can find more mug cake recipes but tbh I'm not a fan of peanut butter or anything to do with nuts. I'm one of the few people who doesn't like Nutella either :creep:. I'll search up the Stairway learning website now :wink:
So today has been another hectic day, where I try to get through five hours of videocall lessons without getting distracted, by my cat, for instance.In other news,I have an english assessment on A christmas carol, and I can finnally return to my job this weekend, and start bringing home the bacon again :biggrin:
Anyway, my completed to-do list is as follows:

TO-DO LIST
-make mug cake (very good btw)
-print vegan recipe
-hour of yoga
-corbett maths five-a day
-update my GYG
-do some stairway learning practice
-watch Kristen Leos latest youtube video (please subscribe to her she is great)
-make some Mr Salles notes
-make some bullet journal spreads*
-Make a retrospective timetable for maths (my assessment is next week and we have been given the spec to revise I attached a photo below)

*using a bullet journal is one of the calmest things you can do in my opinion.I like to plan my week so I dont fall behind on work etc, and I do it whilst watching netflix or youtube so that I am still "productive"C4EBCF0E-81CC-4C13-901E-AEA700B71314.jpeg

I like your table, how did you kind put it together (in terms of like topics and the things on the side)? I've heard of retrospective time tables and I'm actually trying to create one on a google doc before school starts but I'm just trying to see how I should lay it out so it's the most effective
Hey guys!

so today to finally answer StarshineDiamonds question, I will explain how I build up my retrospective timetables, and why I reccomend them. I have not had a very productive day today, so no completed to-do list today...

RETROSPECTIVE TIMETABLE

First off, at the bottom I have linked AliAbdaals video, which first introduced me to the concept below.
A retrospective timetable does not map out your future revision scheduling, it acr tually focuses on your past revision, to base your current revision off it. Each time you revise a different subject or topic , you write down the date and highlight it red amber or green, depending how you found it. For example, if the night before an exam you find yourself struggling with what to go over, you study the topics you havent studied for a while, or the ones highlighted in red.
In addition, I usually use a code, like PP for past paper, RC for revision cards,PQ for practice questions, etc, so that I know what I have done on exactly each topic.
I have a general retrospective table for all my subjects, so that I can see what I have and have not been focusing on, what I need to catch up on etc. I also have subject specific ones, which I use for assessments, so that I can paste the specification onto excel and turn it into a spreadsheet, and study each point, or I make my own and pin it to my wall.
here is a quick example:

Biology Paper 1
-photosynthesis- 5/3 PQ 4/3 PP
-bacterial cells - 2/3 RC 3/3PQ
-plant cells - 4/3 PQ
-animal cells - 8/3 PP - 9/3 PQ
-mutation - 1/3 RC - 5/3PP
Hey guys!

so today to finally answer StarshineDiamonds question, I will explain how I build up my retrospective timetables, and why I reccomend them. I have not had a very productive day today, so no completed to-do list today...

RETROSPECTIVE TIMETABLE

First off, at the bottom I have linked AliAbdaals video, which first introduced me to the concept below.
A retrospective timetable does not map out your future revision scheduling, it acr tually focuses on your past revision, to base your current revision off it. Each time you revise a different subject or topic , you write down the date and highlight it red amber or green, depending how you found it. For example, if the night before an exam you find yourself struggling with what to go over, you study the topics you havent studied for a while, or the ones highlighted in red.
In addition, I usually use a code, like PP for past paper, RC for revision cards,PQ for practice questions, etc, so that I know what I have done on exactly each topic.
I have a general retrospective table for all my subjects, so that I can see what I have and have not been focusing on, what I need to catch up on etc. I also have subject specific ones, which I use for assessments, so that I can paste the specification onto excel and turn it into a spreadsheet, and study each point, or I make my own and pin it to my wall.
here is a quick example:

Biology Paper 1
-photosynthesis- 5/3 PQ 4/3 PP
-bacterial cells - 2/3 RC 3/3PQ
-plant cells - 4/3 PQ
-animal cells - 8/3 PP - 9/3 PQ
-mutation - 1/3 RC - 5/3PP

Thank you so much for this <3 I haven't done much today either but I'm hoping to do my hair and then get work done so I can start preparing for school.
Hey guys!

so, tomorrow is my last day before going back to school. Today I finished a spanish practice writing question, went to work at my job, and I am now meant to be doing english literature notes.But since this is the procrastination station, I have come up with a list of all the things I need to do to put myself together before school in one day.For the first day of school, I have taken the precaution of aquiring a very large bar of dark chocolate,to gorge on when I come home if it was particularly tiring (to say I love chocolate is definitely an understatement) so Wish me luck...

THE LIST (dun dun DUN)
- wash hair
-treat myself to a face mask
- paint nails
-complete a maths practice paper
-go to work, bring home the dosh
-polish shoes
-make an English literature retrospective timetable for a christmas carol
-plan week in bullet journal
-prep school bag and school clothes
-SET ALARM

also, please comment the items on your to-do list.It is interesting to see.Also, I am sure I have forgotten something important.
Original post by StarshineDiamond
Thank you so much for this <3 I haven't done much today either but I'm hoping to do my hair and then get work done so I can start preparing for school.

Hey Im glad you found it helpful! I hope you have a good start to school
Hey guys!

so, tomorrow is my last day before going back to school. Today I finished a spanish practice writing question, went to work at my job, and I am now meant to be doing english literature notes.But since this is the procrastination station, I have come up with a list of all the things I need to do to put myself together before school in one day.For the first day of school, I have taken the precaution of aquiring a very large bar of dark chocolate,to gorge on when I come home if it was particularly tiring (to say I love chocolate is definitely an understatement) so Wish me luck...

THE LIST (dun dun DUN)
- wash hair
-treat myself to a face mask
- paint nails
-complete a maths practice paper
-go to work, bring home the dosh
-polish shoes
-make an English literature retrospective timetable for a christmas carol
-plan week in bullet journal
-prep school bag and school clothes
-SET ALARM

also, please comment the items on your to-do list.It is interesting to see.Also, I am sure I have forgotten something important.

MY LIST
- plan retrospective timetable for all my subjects
- catch up on macbeth annotations/revision
-catch up in maths book
-catch up on notes in business and history book

- complete english language paper 2 past paper (this one I may not complete tho, it depends how much time I have)
- general prep for school; so like getting my uniform ready and stuff

edit; I came back to this list and just highlighted in green the things I've done so far. I'll come again when I've completed everything or keep highlighting as I go
(edited 3 years ago)
Hey Im glad you found it helpful! I hope you have a good start to school

thanks, you too
wow i have started my blog recently too but yours is so much better any tips for me
also can you read my blog too its called living the year 9 life!!
i love your blogs
MY LIST
- plan retrospective timetable for all my subjects
- catch up on macbeth annotations/revision
-catch up in maths book
-catch up on notes in business and history book

- complete english language paper 2 past paper (this one I may not complete tho, it depends how much time I have)
- general prep for school; so like getting my uniform ready and stuff

edit; I came back to this list and just highlighted in green the things I've done so far. I'll come again when I've completed everything or keep highlighting as I go

wow that looks great good luck for tomorrow!
Original post by 18ahussain
wow i have started my blog recently too but yours is so much better any tips for me
also can you read my blog too its called living the year 9 life!!
i love your blogs

Hey thank you! I will be doing a post later on GYG tips and I will definitely check out that blog of yours:wink:
So, today I was aked by 18ahussain about GYG tips (check out their GYG by the way), bearing in mind I havent been at it for very long I have compiled a list of advice so that people can hopefully feel a lot more confident in their GYGs...

(helpful?)GYG ADVICE

- so first of all, write everything.write how you are feeling that day, advice you would give and productivity levels, including your fears, your anxieties and your achievements. Personally, I find it really helps to get it all out, and it helps you be more relatable to the people reading
-ask for tips, to interact with the people reading your blog, ask them to share more about themselves
-one of the most important things is style. Use a font people will instantly associate with you, especially with headings. If you want good banners etc, I would definitely go to canva.com
-in order to make your blog more detailed, I would suggest attaching videos you reccomend, and also photos of your study notes and work.
-always link your favourite resources for studying, as the rest of us find it really helpful!

In the meantime, I have had a fairly productive day: I finished my maths paper, went to work, did some organization with my bullet journal and retrospective timetables, and just have to prep for tomorrow!
Good luck to everyone, I have no idea what this term will bring, but we will still be standing by the end of it.

And since I am a massive lord of the rings nerd:
"A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day"
(edited 3 years ago)
omg thanks so much and thanks for the shoutout i love your blogs they are really good thanks for the tips
and check out my blog its called living the year 9 life i am posting everyday mostly in thevenings to go check it
here is the link

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6959010&p=94320694#post94320694

thanks @TheNotoriousEGB for mentioning me i love your blog
:smile:<3
So, today I was aked by 18ahussain about GYG tips (check out their GYG by the way), bearing in mind I havent been at it for very long I have compiled a list of advice so that people can hopefully feel a lot more confident in their GYGs...

(helpful?)GYG ADVICE

- so first of all, write everything.write how you are feeling that day, advice you would give and productivity levels, including your fears, your anxieties and your achievements. Personally, I find it really helps to get it all out, and it helps you be more relatable to the people reading
-ask for tips, to interact with the people reading your blog, ask them to share more about themselves
-one of the most important things is style. Use a font people will instantly associate with you, especially with headings. If you want good banners etc, I would definitely go to canva.com
-in order to make your blog more detailed, I would suggest attaching videos you reccomend, and also photos of your study notes and work.
-always link your favourite resources for studying, as the rest of us find it really helpful!

In the meantime, I have had a fairly productive day: I finished my maths paper, went to work, did some organization with my bullet journal and retrospective timetables, and just have to prep for tomorrow!
Good luck to everyone, I have no idea what this term will bring, but we will still be standing by the end of it.

And since I am a massive lord of the rings nerd:
"A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day"

Wow, these are some great tips. I hope you have a nice day tomorrow!
Wow, these are some great tips. I hope you have a nice day tomorrow!

Thank you!
Hey again!

I hope you all had a good start to school!

So, to be honest this week is starting to be a bit of a mind blender turned on to the highest setting.I am not going to lie, it has been stressful and I have been handed a load of dates to prepare for, and so far it has only been three days.

So far, I have found out I have an exam for each GCSE before easter, which is in three weeks. This is why I thought I might share some organization and revision tips, in order to ground myself back on earth.

ORGANIZATION AND REVISION

-so, first of all, it is really important you get your dates as soon as possible, n ag your teachers, and make sure you know what you are doing for each one.

-when structuring your revision, make sure you do the heavier subjects, like literature first, and follow with a lighter subject towards the end of the day, maybe just some chill flashcard making in the evening, but a past paper in the morning

-there are some really contrasting views when it comes to listening to music whilst studying. Personally, I find background music fine, for example you can find hogwarts music for different mood on youtube.I like to listen whilst making flashcards, or performing menial homework tasks, however I never do whilst doing active recall, practice questions or past papers.

-my order of revision for a subject is usually flashcarding it, mindmapping from memory and adding in what I forgot, practice questions and then an exam paper. This obvously depends on the time I have, but I find it a basic, simple structure to follow, so I dont panic on what to do first.

-honestly, ask your teachers for help. It is easier now thanks to online learning as I can now message my teachers on teams, take advantage of this so they mark your practice questions, etc
Hey again!

I hope you all had a good start to school!

So, to be honest this week is starting to be a bit of a mind blender turned on to the highest setting.I am not going to lie, it has been stressful and I have been handed a load of dates to prepare for, and so far it has only been three days.

So far, I have found out I have an exam for each GCSE before easter, which is in three weeks. This is why I thought I might share some organization and revision tips, in order to ground myself back on earth.

ORGANIZATION AND REVISION

-so, first of all, it is really important you get your dates as soon as possible, n ag your teachers, and make sure you know what you are doing for each one.

-when structuring your revision, make sure you do the heavier subjects, like literature first, and follow with a lighter subject towards the end of the day, maybe just some chill flashcard making in the evening, but a past paper in the morning

-there are some really contrasting views when it comes to listening to music whilst studying. Personally, I find background music fine, for example you can find hogwarts music for different mood on youtube.I like to listen whilst making flashcards, or performing menial homework tasks, however I never do whilst doing active recall, practice questions or past papers.

-my order of revision for a subject is usually flashcarding it, mindmapping from memory and adding in what I forgot, practice questions and then an exam paper. This obvously depends on the time I have, but I find it a basic, simple structure to follow, so I dont panic on what to do first.

-honestly, ask your teachers for help. It is easier now thanks to online learning as I can now message my teachers on teams, take advantage of this so they mark your practice questions, etc

wow, I haven't heard anything about tests yet but good luck with your revision! I believe in you!
wow, I haven't heard anything about tests yet but good luck with your revision! I believe in you!

thank you! I believe in you to!
hey guys!

so, as I have alrerady said, I have ASSESSMENTS.these are the dates so far:
-15th March-chemistry topic assesment
-18th March- English lit a christmas carol-
-22ndMarch listening and reading spanish
-24th March- history paper 3
-26th March spainsh writing

Today I found out that two boys were commenting about me as I kept putting my hand up and getting out of my seat to give work to my teacher to mark.Just to say, this probably isnt the first time it has happened, as I only knew through a freind, although i wish she hadnt told me. In real life, I say sorry too much, trip over things a lot, and wave my hands a lot (picture aggressive jazz hands) when I speak. But that is who I am I guess, I may be a die -hard try- hard but at least I am actually TRYING. I know a lot of people are often shy of speaking or putting their hand up in class,because of not wanting to be a know-it-all. But what many dont realise is that it does hold us back.Maybe not putting your hand up in maths may not seem to impact your future right now, but it ascertains that you are afraid of the opinions of certain people, and will affect how confident you feel in a certain subject. Please dont let other peoples opinions and expectations limit you.And after GCSES you may never seen them again !!!!!!

Anyway, I will hopefully find the time to post my progress on revsion and test results, and .here is my weekend to-do list so far:

WEEKEND TO DO- LIST
-Make spanish notes on tenses etc
-complete chemistry practice questions
-finish revising the ghosts for ACC and start making essay plans
-do active recall both mornings and evenings
-finish reading my book (another book by the secret barrister)
-practice violin
-complete two sets of maths practice questions

Meanwhile, here are my weekly reccomendations(sorry they are late):

WEEKLY RECCOMENDATIONS
podcast: the missionary- explores the consequences of white saviourism abroad, most specifically the case of Rennee Bach
http://chng.it/vDgBGfscYn: petition to protect threatened transgender rights in the UK
instagram account- Diet prada-reports on current events revolving mainly around fashion
YouTube channel: unjaded jade- great for dissecting the world of uni and gap years, she inspired me to try to do well in my GCSEs in the first place

have a good weekend and a break!
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending