The Student Room Group

is this gift racist?

Now I might be give this seemingly nice gesture way too much thought, maybe being in isolation has created an antipathy towards other humans; today I received a gift from a stranger I had never met before, to be precise I was given flowers. Now you might ask how flowers could be racist but hear me out.

After a long day of studying, I decided to go to the shops to get some food, the problem is I usually shop at Tesco but they were closed so I went to a store I rarely enter as it's out of budget and attracts a certain type of person, the kind of person who drives a range and thinks falafel and couscous are exotic foods. To make it worse, I decided to try and NOT be the anti-social gen zer that the world thinks I am for once and instead of using a self-checkout, I went to the till. I put my stuff on the till and waited to be served, the cashier was a lady (white) who looked about 50ish but who can really tell with the mask. We had a nice chat and with formalities out the way, I wanted to pay and leave. She then asked me to pick up some flowers that were behind me on a table and scanned it and she said it was gift from the store, I insisted that I cant' take it but she persisted so I gave in. At this point I was ready to leave but she wanted to keep talking, even though a queue was building up, she said the gift was for me as I looked sad (how she could tell I was sad while I was wearing a face mask idk).

Anyway, how is this racist you're wondering. The problem I'm having is with the reason she singled me out; the area I live in is predominately white and I stick out like a sore thumb, in this store even more. Why did she chose me? Was it because I actually looked sad or was her giving this gift a way to say "hey I'm not like these other people I'm one of the good one's". Was the flowers really about me? Or was it a form of "reparations" for her to deal with some internalised white guilt...
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I think she was just being nice.
I mean, what you said could be true, but it's always good to assume good out of people.
You can't win with you.
A white person being kind to you is apparently racism.

Maybe she singled you out because she thought you looked sad or something.

Find some pebbles to analyse.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by bimbibap
Now I might be give this seemingly nice gesture way too much thought, maybe being in isolation has created an antipathy towards other humans; today I received a gift from a stranger I had never met before, to be precise I was given flowers. Now you might ask how flowers could be racist but hear me out.

After a long day of studying, I decided to go to the shops to get some food, the problem is I usually shop at Tesco but they were closed so I went to a store I rarely enter as it's out of budget and attracts a certain type of person, the kind of person who drives a range and thinks falafel and couscous are exotic foods. To make it worse, I decided to try and NOT be the anti-social gen zer that the world thinks I am for once and instead of using a self-checkout, I went to the till. I put my stuff on the till and waited to be served, the cashier was a lady (white) who looked about 50ish but who can really tell with the mask. We had a nice chat and with formalities out the way, I wanted to pay and leave. She then asked me to pick up some flowers that were behind me on a table and scanned it and she said it was gift from the store, I insisted that I cant' take it but she persisted so I gave in. At this point I was ready to leave but she wanted to keep talking, even though a queue was building up, she said the gift was for me as I looked sad (how she could tell I was sad while I was wearing a face mask idk).

Anyway, how is this racist you're wondering. The problem I'm having is with the reason she singled me out; the area I live in is predominately white and I stick out like a sore thumb, in this store even more. Why did she chose me? Was it because I actually looked sad or was her giving this gift a way to say "hey I'm not like these other people I'm one of the good one's". Was the flowers really about me? Or was it a form of "reparations" for her to deal with some internalised white guilt...

Not racist at all. Totally ridiculous to insinuate it as such.

Next time appreciate a nice gesture. Id say this is actually quite judgmental of you.

maybe she was just being nice...
No, but you are prejudice in not liking people for being wealthy :yy:
You are overthinking this far too much. This was baffling to read.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by V℮rsions
No, but you are prejudice in not liking people for being wealthy :yy:

i dislike the royal family for being born into free money... if that counts as prejudice then it be like that
Original post by Goku's Hairbrush
i dislike the royal family for being born into free money... if that counts as prejudice then it be like that

OP doesn't like going to a store because " the kind of person who drives a range and thinks falafel and couscous are exotic foods" goes there, seems like they're just stereotyping the upper class. Rich people have it hard man.

and yes, Im p sure it does count as prejudice lol
Reply 9
Receiving flowers is now apparently racist. This is the type of thing you would joke about while making fun of the left.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Goku's Hairbrush

I mean they obviously have economic privileges that are beyond comprehension but you can’t really blame them for preserving their wealth.
Reply 11
OP doesn't like going to a store because " the kind of person who drives a range and thinks falafel and couscous are exotic foods" goes there, seems like they're just stereotyping the upper class. Rich people have it hard man.

and yes, Im p sure it does count as prejudice lol

no, i don't go there because it's out of budget (which i mentioned)and making a stereotypical joke about middle class white people isn't prejudice
Reply 12
Reading that was like some parody from the right wing to show what the far left are like.
Reply 13
no, i don't go there because it's out of budget (which i mentioned)and making a stereotypical joke about middle class white people isn't prejudice

Making fun of middle class white people isnt racist, but buying a black person flowers is. Lol, okay.
and making a stereotypical joke about middle class white people isn't prejudice

:dong: what if I made a joke about stereotypical poor black people.
Reply 15
:dong: what if I made a joke about stereotypical poor black people.

punching up is very different to punching down. Also, people do make jokes about poor people in the UK, classism is very much alive and well
punching up is very different to punching down.

no.. no it isn't. More money, cars, opportunity and whiter skin doesn't result to less feelings.
Reply 17
what's he on about? can anyone summarise?
Why does it matter if the woman's actions where motivated by racism or not?
Her actions did not negatively impact you on any level, except from if you suffer from a pollon allergy.

If her actions where motivated by white guilt, surely they demonstrate that she thinking about her white privilege.
Hypothetically, if white privilege exists, surely it's a good thing that she is thinking about it.

Even if her actions where motivated by your race, they wheren't necessarily motivated by feelings of personal guilt. If she hasn't ever treated a black person in a wrongful way because they are black, why on earth should she feel a personal sense of guilt? She may know from the news that for what ever reason, black people have worse outcomes in several areas, she may simply have wanted to cheer up a black person.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by kayala
what's he on about? can anyone summarise?

they think white people being nice to them is racist :confused:

Latest