The Student Room Group

Leeds Beckett poor tutors

Business /Marketing.. the tutors are very poor. Obviously working from home, no help offered by tutors. Just got the marks for a module- 3 lines of feedback telling me I’ve missed elements.. that’s it! How do I know what I’ve missed or where I’ve gone wrong? Clearly they do not care or just can’t be arsed!
I think this is entirely dependant on your course tbh. I’m a third year at Beckett and we have continued support all the time. Emails answered almost always within 12 hours, 1-2-1’s constant. I think if you’re having a hard time working with the feedback you’re given, you just need to be emailing and asking for a chat or something to discuss any issues you may be having. It’s not that they can’t be arsed, you just have to remember they’ll have not only your course, but the courses of the other years to work with too. They’ll have third year dissertations to supervise, postgraduate and job references to help with, etc.
Hi, I appreciate that the tutors have other courses they’re working on but seriously, our tutor is terrible. We have a group chat for a few of us on the course and we are all in agreement about the lack of support. We are literally blowing in the wind. I think we will end up submitting a complaint, my parents are now recording all the feedback as evidence. It’s woefully inadequate.
Original post by Seasidegirl11
Hi, I appreciate that the tutors have other courses they’re working on but seriously, our tutor is terrible. We have a group chat for a few of us on the course and we are all in agreement about the lack of support. We are literally blowing in the wind. I think we will end up submitting a complaint, my parents are now recording all the feedback as evidence. It’s woefully inadequate.

I’d suggest the best course of action then is to first speak with your tutor about the issue that you’re having, either individually or as a group. They can’t progress with their feedback without having people tell them what works and what doesn’t. Sometimes they need feedback too
Original post by Anonymous
Business /Marketing.. the tutors are very poor. Obviously working from home, no help offered by tutors. Just got the marks for a module- 3 lines of feedback telling me I’ve missed elements.. that’s it! How do I know what I’ve missed or where I’ve gone wrong? Clearly they do not care or just can’t be arsed!

At university your tutors won’t spoonfeed you. If you want more feedback or support then you need to book an appointment with your personal tutor or academic support team to get more help.
Reply 5
Original post by Manclass98
I’d suggest the best course of action then is to first speak with your tutor about the issue that you’re having, either individually or as a group. They can’t progress with their feedback without having people tell them what works and what doesn’t. Sometimes they need feedback too

Hi, we’ve given feedback but as you know it’s not anonymous. Our tutor has the rest of the module to mark and we’re all nervous that he’ll mark us down for it. Some of the responses we’ve had have from him when we’ve asked for clarity or guidance have been really sarcastic. Thanks for your replies though, you’ve actually responded more than my tutor in these few messages , haha, I appreciate it.
Hi, we’ve given feedback but as you know it’s not anonymous. Our tutor has the rest of the module to mark and we’re all nervous that he’ll mark us down for it. Some of the responses we’ve had have from him when we’ve asked for clarity or guidance have been really sarcastic. Thanks for your replies though, you’ve actually responded more than my tutor in these few messages , haha, I appreciate it.

Have you spoken to your course/year rep? Their role is there ti represent the group without individuals having to be identified. Them and your student union are there to help you organise and complain collectively.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
At university your tutors won’t spoonfeed you. If you want more feedback or support then you need to book an appointment with your personal tutor or academic support team to get more help.

I’m not looking to be spoonfed, but feedback from a module telling me it’s wrong - but not which part or what is wrong is not constructive feedback. How do I know which part is wrong? We’re not allowed to email our tutor, everything has to go on a blog.. his responses are downright rude.
I’m not looking to be spoonfed, but feedback from a module telling me it’s wrong - but not which part or what is wrong is not constructive feedback. How do I know which part is wrong? We’re not allowed to email our tutor, everything has to go on a blog.. his responses are downright rude.

Yeah, that sounds a bit odd to me. We pretty much have free range of tutor communication whenever we need it, so I’m not sure what method of feedback or discussion that is. I would bypass the ‘no emails’ and just do it anyway, only way to get direct communication otherwise. Also agree with the other users, speak to your course and school reps.

Then speak to your course rep and student union.

Speak to your personal or pastoral tutor.

Speak to your academic skills and support team.

Put together a collective complaint with evidence and examples of the rude responses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending