The Student Room Group

MSc with Pass and Resits

Hi all,

I am posting this because I have been feeling anxious lately about my future prospects. I have recently completed my Masters Degree from UoGlasgow and achieved MSc with Pass(59.7% - 2:2) and with 3-Resits marked on my transcript. For future options I was considering to apply for PhD, but I don't know if that's possible with the classification of degree. Although I achieved a B1 in my Dissertation project, but still I had to complete my degree late than other students. Please let me know what are my options from here on.
Original post by rdubey
Hi all,

I am posting this because I have been feeling anxious lately about my future prospects. I have recently completed my Masters Degree from UoGlasgow and achieved MSc with Pass(59.7% - 2:2) and with 3-Resits marked on my transcript. For future options I was considering to apply for PhD, but I don't know if that's possible with the classification of degree. Although I achieved a B1 in my Dissertation project, but still I had to complete my degree late than other students. Please let me know what are my options from here on.

With a pass at masters level, you won't be a competitive applicant for PhD funding unfortunately. If you are able to self-fund, you'll have a better chance of being accepted, but you need to know yourself that you are capable of PhD level research and study. If the issues that resulted in your masters performance haven't been rectified, then you'll likely struggle at PhD level too.
Reply 2
Original post by PhoenixFortune
With a pass at masters level, you won't be a competitive applicant for PhD funding unfortunately. If you are able to self-fund, you'll have a better chance of being accepted, but you need to know yourself that you are capable of PhD level research and study. If the issues that resulted in your masters performance haven't been rectified, then you'll likely struggle at PhD level too.

Thank you for the reply. My health issues became problem when I was taking the exams. But I guess nothing can be done about the bad grades. How about the employment? Does recruiters ponder upon bad grades and late graduation? I just need to know if my masters worth anything right now.
Original post by rdubey
Thank you for the reply. My health issues became problem when I was taking the exams. But I guess nothing can be done about the bad grades. How about the employment? Does recruiters ponder upon bad grades and late graduation? I just need to know if my masters worth anything right now.

It depends on the employer tbh. If you can show that the issues that cause your grades have resolved, and demonstrate transferable skills, you have as good a chance as any. If a job requires a masters degree though, they may require a certain grade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending