The Student Room Group

maine **** cat

do maine coons shed a lot of hair ,and can this cause a inflammation of asthma.In general does a cat that sheds more cause asthma
They shed a RIDICULOUS amount of hair - you can get cats/pets that are non-allergy triggering
Reply 2
Original post by KaTrInA.3.2.1
They shed a RIDICULOUS amount of hair - you can get cats/pets that are non-allergy triggering

oh do u have one?if you do do you think its possible for someone with asthma to have a maine **** and not get symptoms ,my grandfather has easthma and we'd love a maine **** .
Reply 3
my brother has a maine **** and he doesn't seem to complain
I'm sorry but what are you writing under the ****????😂😂😂
Yep, they shed a lot, do not get fluffy cats or any other fluffy pet if you can't deal with all the hair.
Reply 6
Original post by Ducky_MoMo
I'm sorry but what are you writing under the ****????😂😂😂

c o o n (maine **** is a breed of cat)
Original post by Anonymous
c o o n (maine **** is a breed of cat)

Original post by ilovephysmath
They're talking about maine c00n cats, i don't know why it's being corrected 😂

Oh, ok, I never heard of that before :gasp:
Reply 8
Yes, they shed a lot. Most types of cats do.
Whether it affects someone depends on the person and their condition. If you have allergy-induced asthma, it probably will.
My shorthair/bombay cat sheds a lot of hair in late spring-mid summer, so yeah, a maine c00n will probably shed a sh*t ton.
Original post by Cryoraptor
My shorthair/bombay cat sheds a lot of hair in late spring-mid summer, so yeah, a maine c00n will probably shed a sh*t ton.

k thanks i was wondering if anyone w a maine **** and short hair could tell me which one they think shed mroe-some say their short haired cats do .lol im in denial and want a maine ****
k thanks i was wondering if anyone w a maine **** and short hair could tell me which one they think shed mroe-some say their short haired cats do .lol im in denial and want a maine ****

If you have an allergy to cats, you could take things like antihistamines. Just normal OTC antihistamines almost completely eliminate hay fever in the summer if I happen to get it one year. Everyone is different but it will at least help to reduce your allergy.

Although if you use an asthma pump, make sure antihistamines won't interact with it. I would assume antihistamines are safe to use with asthma pumps but you should make sure.

There's no comparison, Maine Coons shed more than even other long hair breeds if only due to their size. Have both, there's no comparison.

Why are you even anon tho???
Hi not a Maine **** but no one has ever been allergic to my tortoise shell/calico cat with most my family being allergic to cats!! If u find u don’t want a Maine ****, torties are a lovely friendly breed :smile:
My friends Maine C is a fluffy but doesn't seem to shed much and I don't get any reaction. Her older 'normal' cat on the other hand always covers me in hair and sets my throat/eyes off without fail. *shrug*
Just get a hypo-allergenic cat or take the risk.

That’s simply it because their biological nature is long haired and constant shedding - it’s not something that can be changed. So depends how much you prioritise the aesthetic of the cat in comparison to your asthma and severity of your usual symptoms to animals that shed.
oh do u have one?if you do do you think its possible for someone with asthma to have a maine **** and not get symptoms ,my grandfather has easthma and we'd love a maine **** .

I replied to this above - but no I don’t but i have had cats for the past 16yrs and am well-familiarised with the specific breed. Chances are if you go visit the animal before you before you commit to taking it home then you will know within the preceding 24hrs whether you react negatively or not. But also in the interests of the animal it’s a bit unfair to risk if you think you won’t be able to live with the reaction later or aren’t willing to take anti-allergy precautions.

Quick Reply

Latest