The Student Room Group

Is it mad not to take Higher English?

I have provisionally chosen Psychology, Geography, Physics, Chemistry and Biology for Higher
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Novhos
I am moving from the England to Scotland to start S5. I have provisionally chosen Psychology, Geography, Physics, Chemistry and Biology for Higher and want to study Medicine (Edinburgh Uni would be first choice). I have been told it is very 'unusual' not to do English (though it is not stated as a requirement at Higher for any Scottish medical school). If I do it, I'd have to drop Psychology which looks very interesting and is clearly related to Medicine. I have a predicted grade of 9 for GCSE English Literature and Language so was hoping that would be enough. Or is it a mistake not to take it at Higher? I couldn't then pick up the Psychology at higher in S6 as I'm told I should do three advanced Highers and that three advanced Highers plus a Higher would be too much. So it would basically mean binning Psychology forever. Any advice?

you definitely don't need to take three advanced highers, you could take two advanced highers, and higher psychology for S6, as that would be fine for all the Scottish medical schools. Edinburgh only require two advanced highers at BB.
as you mentioned it is not needed, however seeing as you have gotten grade 9 for both lang and lit, I don't see why you couldn't take English, as it is useful subject to have in case you ever change your mind in terms of careers.
I would call the admissions department at one or two of the unis you are interested in and ask if no Higher English would be viewed negatively on an application.
Original post by Omair1201
you definitely don't need to take three advanced highers, you could take two advanced highers, and higher psychology for S6, as that would be fine for all the Scottish medical schools. Edinburgh only require two advanced highers at BB.
as you mentioned it is not needed, however seeing as you have gotten grade 9 for both lang and lit, I don't see why you couldn't take English, as it is useful subject to have in case you ever change your mind in terms of careers.

Would your new school have the option of doing Higher English in S6 alongside two Advanced Highers?

Just to confirm, if your new school is in the standard entry requirements category, Medicine at Edinburgh requires AAAAB Highers by the end of S5 and BB at Advanced Higher.
Reply 4
I think most universities require higher English if I’m
Honest or they prefer you to have it. I think if you take a lot of essay subjects they might not be as concerned about it. But I would definitely contact them and ask. You also definitely don’t need 3 advanced higher most people in my school who have gotten into medicine done 2. If you do 3 advanced Highers normally your school will let you drop the other higher. So consider all options I guess. English is quite a good subject to have because most people find it quite easy and it seems you would as well because of your grades for GCSE. Tbh I hated higher english so much but I do need it and if you don’t need it then you can choose what you want. All Highers are counted so as long as you do the required subjects for medicine then you can really choose whatever you think you will enjoy.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Novhos
I am moving from the England to Scotland to start S5. I have provisionally chosen Psychology, Geography, Physics, Chemistry and Biology for Higher and want to study Medicine (Edinburgh Uni would be first choice). I have been told it is very 'unusual' not to do English (though it is not stated as a requirement at Higher for any Scottish medical school). If I do it, I'd have to drop Psychology which looks very interesting and is clearly related to Medicine. I have a predicted grade of 9 for GCSE English Literature and Language so was hoping that would be enough. Or is it a mistake not to take it at Higher? I couldn't then pick up the Psychology at higher in S6 as I'm told I should do three advanced Highers and that three advanced Highers plus a Higher would be too much. So it would basically mean binning Psychology forever. Any advice?

It really shouldn't make a difference, if it's not listed as a requirement. The most important thing for Medicine is getting the grades. If you think you'll enjoy Psychology more and get a better grade, then that's the obvious choice.

I didn't do higher English, and have a first class degree and am doing a PhD so it hasn't impacted me at all.
Reply 6
Original post by phdmed
It really shouldn't make a difference, if it's not listed as a requirement. The most important thing for Medicine is getting the grades. If you think you'll enjoy Psychology more and get a better grade, then that's the obvious choice.

I didn't do higher English, and have a first class degree and am doing a PhD so it hasn't impacted me at all.

Thanks. I definitely think I'd enjoy it more, which is why I am deliberating as multiple teachers have advised that English is 'desirable'. Leaning more to not doing English.

Original post by Omair1201

Yes, I can see three advanced Highers are not in the actual entry requirements but it is standard practice at my school. The careers advisor said exactly as you have - to take it in case of a change of mind of course, but I just don't enjoy it as much as other subjects so I'm loathed to take it just because it's the norm to do so.

Original post by BlackLab
I would call the admissions department at one or two of the unis you are interested in and ask if no Higher English would be viewed negatively on an application.

They wouldn't but the advice is in case I decide to change course. I did look through some other Science based degrees and none require English. I also thought about the English aspect of UCAT but not sure Higher would help me any more than direct UCAT practise.
Original post by Novhos
Thanks. I definitely think I'd enjoy it more, which is why I am deliberating as multiple teachers have advised that English is 'desirable'. Leaning more to not doing English.

Yes, I can see three advanced Highers are not in the actual entry requirements but it is standard practice at my school. The careers advisor said exactly as you have - to take it in case of a change of mind of course, but I just don't enjoy it as much as other subjects so I'm loathed to take it just because it's the norm to do so.

They wouldn't but the advice is in case I decide to change course. I did look through some other Science based degrees and none require English. I also thought about the English aspect of UCAT but not sure Higher would help me any more than direct UCAT practise.

if the courses you have looked at don't require English and you're happy going down that route, then yeah, it's best to do a subject you enjoy and more likely to get a higher grade in. unless it has been explicitly stated that they require English, you won't be penalised for not having it.
Most universities require higher English, even as an unspoken ‘rule’ they want it. Whilst you can apply to some unis and courses without it, you still might be looked down on if you don’t have it.

Three advanced highers isn’t necessary at all, either. Most unis barely consider them unless you want to apply to English universities.
Original post by cchloepx
Most universities require higher English, even as an unspoken ‘rule’ they want it. Whilst you can apply to some unis and courses without it, you still might be looked down on if you don’t have it.

Three advanced highers isn’t necessary at all, either. Most unis barely consider them unless you want to apply to English universities.

isn't the second sentence course dependent for Scottish unis ?
Reply 10
Original post by cchloepx

Two Advanced Highers are required for Medicine at all Scottish universities and at my school three Advanced Highers is standard.

Quick Reply

Latest