The Student Room Group

French listening

Since starting alevel french I have found listening exercises very hard. I often find myself hearing a word and not even having an idea of what it could be I’m not sure if my textbook as hard listenings (élan 1) or if that’s just what a level listenings are like but does anyone have any tips??
Reply 1
Watch Netflix in French and if you don't understand put the English subtitles on.
This is a list of ideas

Try some French listening exercises on Duolingo
Use a functioning tape recorder to promote discussion
Make up a variety of speaking and listening exercises based on aspects of French culture and language
Do French writing tasks
Write down practice exam questions in French on a piece of paper
Read storybooks in French
Pay close attention to the basic rules of French grammar and learn the vocabulary
Attempt to set goals
Buy academic workbooks
Invest time and money now
Compile a list of French movies and so on
Learn it the proper way, try joining a active support group on Facebook
Find a French teacher, or search online for book and app recommendations
Translate French newspaper articles
Sing in French little and often
Work on the basics first of all
Use colors to divide up the words
Write notes in French and the like
Reply 3
Just buy the cahier du jour cahier du soir which is what the French kids use as revision guides. The class of 6 eme is for 11 year olds in France, 3eme for 14 year olds. (costs about£5 on a famous internet site. Grammar, texts, exercises etc) You won't be doing any more than that in A level, and then just watch as much French T.V as possible. For essay practice use étudier.com. There are literally thousands of sample essays on it used by french kids to pass their exams from GCSE level through university and beyond. You can have access to free material,pay for full access or submit an essay to gain access to all materials. Definitely worth looking at.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by tinygirl96
This is a list of ideas

Try some French listening exercises on Duolingo
Use a functioning tape recorder to promote discussion
Make up a variety of speaking and listening exercises based on aspects of French culture and language
Do French writing tasks
Write down practice exam questions in French on a piece of paper
Read storybooks in French
Pay close attention to the basic rules of French grammar and learn the vocabulary
Attempt to set goals
Buy academic workbooks
Invest time and money now
Compile a list of French movies and so on
Learn it the proper way, try joining a active support group on Facebook
Find a French teacher, or search online for book and app recommendations
Translate French newspaper articles
Sing in French little and often
Work on the basics first of all
Use colors to divide up the words
Write notes in French and the like

This is such a good list of ideas! I will def try these!
Reply 5
Original post by Euapp
Just buy the cahier du jour cahier du soir which is what the French kids use as revision guides. The class of 6 eme is for 11 year olds in France, 3eme for 14 year olds. (costs about£5 on a famous internet site. Grammar, texts, exercises etc) You won't be doing any more than that in A level, and then just watch as much French T.V as possible. For essay practice use étudier.com. There are literally thousands of sample essays on it used by french kids to pass their exams from GCSE level through university and beyond. You can have access to free material,pay for full access or submit an essay to gain access to all materials. Definitely worth looking at.

Ordered them today! Hopefully they work well! Thank you!!
Original post by mikeyrowave
Since starting alevel french I have found listening exercises very hard. I often find myself hearing a word and not even having an idea of what it could be I’m not sure if my textbook as hard listenings (élan 1) or if that’s just what a level listenings are like but does anyone have any tips??

Je te conseille de trouver un extrait audio qui a une transcription. Lis-la tout en écoutant l'extrait pour associer les mots aux sons. Il y a une chaîne YouTube qui s'appelle « Easy French » et avec toutes ses vidéos, il y a des sous-titres. Bonne chance!

Quick Reply

Latest