The Student Room Group

Medicine or Maths

Hi, recently I have been having trouble deciding whether to study medicine or maths at university - I have researched both, done MDV volunteering, looked at the entrance exams, gone to lectures on both topics and I still have no idea. Any help on how I could make my decision would be much appreciated

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am currently taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths. My problem is that both courses are vastly different and I don't think it;s a good idea to prepare for four different and hard entrance exams, as well as build personal statements for both. Initially at the start of the year, I was sure about medicine, but it had really been the only thing i was sure about because i chose it in like year 8. I picked further maths as a filler for my fourth subject but i found i enjoyed it loads, as much as Bio and chem and now I am verryy confused- the whole thing is stressing me out a lot and idrk what to do because I feel like I should know by now.
Original post by ZR2002
Hi, recently I have been having trouble deciding whether to study medicine or maths at university - I have researched both, done MDV volunteering, looked at the entrance exams, gone to lectures on both topics and I still have no idea. Any help on how I could make my decision would be much appreciated

Do you want to be a doctor...? Kind of an important point to clarify.
Original post by ZR2002
I am currently taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths. My problem is that both courses are vastly different and I don't think it;s a good idea to prepare for four different and hard entrance exams, as well as build personal statements for both. Initially at the start of the year, I was sure about medicine, but it had really been the only thing i was sure about because i chose it in like year 8. I picked further maths as a filler for my fourth subject but i found i enjoyed it loads, as much as Bio and chem and now I am verryy confused- the whole thing is stressing me out a lot and idrk what to do because I feel like I should know by now.

Do Maths if you don’t know then you don’t want to do medicine
Probably earn more as well
Reply 5
Original post by Democracy
Do you want to be a doctor...? Kind of an important point to clarify.

I've wanted to be a paediatrician for as long as I can remember , so I cant tell if I'm torn between maths and medicine bc i felt the need to branch out as i've always thought 'mdv' or bc medicine isn't right for me and i want to do maths yk?
Reply 6
Thank you for all the help everyone- i really appreciate it :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by ZR2002
I've wanted to be a paediatrician for as long as I can remember , so I cant tell if I'm torn between maths and medicine bc i felt the need to branch out as i've always thought 'mdv' or bc medicine isn't right for me and i want to do maths yk?

But why did you want to be a paediatrician?
Reply 8
Original post by ZR2002

If it’s medicine and you’re applying this year sept for next year you’ll have to book the test soon have you thought of that?
Reply 9
Original post by Angiogram1
Do Maths if you don’t know then you don’t want to do medicine

I agree with this cause after your medicine degree there’s still a lot of other steps to undergo
Reply 10
Original post by Expoir
I agree with this cause after your medicine degree there’s still a lot of other steps to undergo

that shouldn't really be the decisive factor. Medicine is a hard career and it takes a certain type of person to be good at it and, most important, be happy doing it.
Reply 11
Original post by Nottie
that shouldn't really be the decisive factor. Medicine is a hard career and it takes a certain type of person to be good at it and, most important, be happy doing it.

That’s true that’s what I meant Thats it’s hard but tbh every career is hard in its own way
Reply 12
Medicine is a vocation, not just an academic subject, and it's as much about whether you have the right personal qualities to be a doctor as it is grades- hence the rigorous recruitment procedures. One of those necessary qualities is a passion for the profession - it's almost like a calling. It's a rewarding career, but it's physically and mentally demanding and requires a lot of resilience. My daughter is a 4th year medical student and meets lots of junior doctors. Many say the same thing- you have to really want to be a doctor otherwise you'd give up due to sheer workload, the pressure of making clinical decisions whilst feeling unprepared to do so and the length of training. Many also say that they love their job and couldn't imagine doing anything else.
Original post by ZR2002

Hi there. I know how that feels, I was having a tough time deciding between medicine and engineering (kinda similiar to maths i guess). i even met a doctor at my work experience who actually was an english graduate, then decided to do medicine rather than a masters in english - he's now a consultant and was telling me how he enjoys the career a lot! so there are definitely people in the same position as you. what i can recommend is to try and get exposure into a medical environment e.g. work experience, as that may have an impact on the career that you decide to take (i know this might not be possible now, but no problem trying to find one). maybe read some medicine related books as well (from a doctors perspective). that should give you some idea of what the career entails! hopefully someone chips in on how to get an idea of what a career in maths entails, as i dunno much about that side of things. hope that helps!
Original post by Debs25
Medicine is a vocation, not just an academic subject, and it's as much about whether you have the right personal qualities to be a doctor as it is grades- hence the rigorous recruitment procedures. One of those necessary qualities is a passion for the profession - it's almost like a calling. It's a rewarding career, but it's physically and mentally demanding and requires a lot of resilience. My daughter is a 4th year medical student and meets lots of junior doctors. Many say the same thing- you have to really want to be a doctor otherwise you'd give up due to sheer workload, the pressure of making clinical decisions whilst feeling unprepared to do so and the length of training. Many also say that they love their job and couldn't imagine doing anything else.

Not sure if I would agree fully with. Of course, enjoying the subject definitely will make it a lot easier but the academic content can play a bigger role than the vocation. I know a lot of people who have gone through medicine without a passion for the vocation and equally a lot of people who only got into Medicine for the academic side (basic science + clinical application, not the 'helping others out' part). It's more of a spectrum or radar chart.

A lot of people (in raw numbers) do a medical degree and end up working in a non-clinical setting, although is this a small proportion.

But yes, for the most part, a lot people find a "calling".
Reply 15
Original post by Deckoles
Not sure if I would agree fully with. Of course, enjoying the subject definitely will make it a lot easier but the academic content can play a bigger role than the vocation. I know a lot of people who have gone through medicine without a passion for the vocation and equally a lot of people who only got into Medicine for the academic side (basic science + clinical application, not the 'helping others out' part). It's more of a spectrum or radar chart.

A lot of people (in raw numbers) do a medical degree and end up working in a non-clinical setting, although is this a small proportion.

But yes, for the most part, a lot people find a "calling".

Fair comments!
Reply 16
Original post by Nottie
But why did you want to be a paediatrician?

I really love working with people, children in particular, and the idea of being able to help families and people to feel better an dput their trust in me when they are at their most vulnerable makes the role seem like a job that is full of integrity. It's not a case of me just choosing it, I know that I am passionate about medicine, the only problem is I can't tell if I am also passionate about maths
Reply 17
Original post by Expoir
If it’s medicine and you’re applying this year sept for next year you’ll have to book the test soon have you thought of that?

I'm currenlty in Year 12, but I am doing STEP, MAT, TMUA , UKCAT and BMAT prep right now and it's a bit too much so I think I need to make a decision soon rather than stretching myself too thin.
Reply 18
Original post by Debs25

This is great advice, thank you. My problem is I always thought that medicine was my calling. Albeit my parents were happy about the decision and encouraging it, it was one that I made for myself because of how much I loved sciences and the 'job description'. My problem was, I also have always loved maths, and I chose Further maths as my fourth a level to fill a space, but I am really enjoying the content. I can't tell if it is just me trying to get all my options out of hte way before going on to do medicine, or if I would prefer a degree in maths , because I think I am a good fit for medicine, mentality and personality wise
Reply 19
Original post by monubhas
Hi there. I know how that feels, I was having a tough time deciding between medicine and engineering (kinda similiar to maths i guess). i even met a doctor at my work experience who actually was an english graduate, then decided to do medicine rather than a masters in english - he's now a consultant and was telling me how he enjoys the career a lot! so there are definitely people in the same position as you. what i can recommend is to try and get exposure into a medical environment e.g. work experience, as that may have an impact on the career that you decide to take (i know this might not be possible now, but no problem trying to find one). maybe read some medicine related books as well (from a doctors perspective). that should give you some idea of what the career entails! hopefully someone chips in on how to get an idea of what a career in maths entails, as i dunno much about that side of things. hope that helps!

Thank you, that really helps. I read a few medicine books and they haven't put me off being a doctor. This is going to hurt was one I read, probably one of the worst experiences of being a doctor i have seen but I don't think it made me want to look for another profession. I was considering doing an undergrad in maths then a postgrad in medicine if it still something that appeals to me but it would be a bit of a roundabout way if I could have just chosen medicine in the first place.

Quick Reply