The Student Room Group

Best Resources For A Level Business

Hi, I'm a private candidate starting A Level Business in September, does anybody know of any resources I could use to get the best grade possible i.e YouTube videos, revision guides etc. Also I would appreciate it if you have any tips or methods to smash A Level Business. Cheers.
There is a youtuber called Bizconsesh who makes GCSE and A level business videos - highly reccomend
Original post by User198786
There is a youtuber called Bizconsesh who makes GCSE and A level business videos - highly reccomend

Is he better than takingthebiz?
Original post by Ronaldinhoe
Is he better than takingthebiz?

I had never actually heard of this youtuber but he seems quite similar to the other one so i guess it depends on what you prefer. Good luck, hope the a level goes well
Original post by User198786

Sorry to pester, but did you purely watch his videos and make notes to get a good grade.
Hi, I'm a private candidate starting A Level Business in September, does anybody know of any resources I could use to get the best grade possible i.e YouTube videos, revision guides etc. Also I would appreciate it if you have any tips or methods to smash A Level Business. Cheers.

Hi I'm a private candidate too have already done AS(scraped a B) and am going to "sit" the A2 in may. Use your textbook, in combination with YouTube basically. Business is a very easy subject to revise for, most of the concepts are fairly easy to understand apart from some of the A2 stuff like critical path analysis and SWOT but those are some of the last chapters so they are meant to be hard.

YouTube channels I'd reccomend: Taking the Biz( probably the best for explaining concepts but he doesn't cover everything, covers most tho)
tutor2u (covers pretty much everything)
I don't really use anyone else but sometimes if the two youtube channels mentioned above dont cover something, just search up the topic and something will come up. For example, both of the channels I mentioned above don't cover how to do moving averages, so I found some random business tutor from like 2014 who explained the concept perfectly.

To summarise: Use textbook to learn a topic, consolidate with youtube channel after. If you don't understand a topic, use youtube first, then the book to consolidate, if your really stuck you can ask on here.
Original post by noyou1234
Hi I'm a private candidate too have already done AS(scraped a B) and am going to "sit" the A2 in may. Use your textbook, in combination with YouTube basically. Business is a very easy subject to revise for, most of the concepts are fairly easy to understand apart from some of the A2 stuff like critical path analysis and SWOT but those are some of the last chapters so they are meant to be hard.

YouTube channels I'd reccomend: Taking the Biz( probably the best for explaining concepts but he doesn't cover everything, covers most tho)
tutor2u (covers pretty much everything)
I don't really use anyone else but sometimes if the two youtube channels mentioned above dont cover something, just search up the topic and something will come up. For example, both of the channels I mentioned above don't cover how to do moving averages, so I found some random business tutor from like 2014 who explained the concept perfectly.

To summarise: Use textbook to learn a topic, consolidate with youtube channel after. If you don't understand a topic, use youtube first, then the book to consolidate, if your really stuck you can ask on here.

What textbook would you recommend, FYI I'm doing Edexcel. Also did you make notes and flashcards when using the textbook and videos. Also would you say Takingthebiz covers 90% of the A Level Specification for Edexcel. Thanks
(edited 3 years ago)
Sorry to pester, but did you purely watch his videos and make notes to get a good grade.

Sorry I wasn't clear but I am currently in yr11 (hopefully doing business a level as well though). I make notes from teacher's resources in class and probably will continue to in sixth from. I just use them for particular topics I need to strengthen my understanding in. I'm sure you could get high grades from his content but a lot of marks are also from exam structure as well.
What textbook would you recommend, FYI I'm doing Edexcel. Also did you make notes and flashcards when using the textbook and videos. Also would you say Takingthebiz covers 90% of the A Level Specification for Edexcel. Thanks

I didn't do Edexcel but there isn't a massive difference in content with the exam boards. Obviously get the edexcel AS and A2 book and just start working through it. The AS stuff is fairly easy and overall the a level doesn't get significantly harder as you go from the AS-A2 topics, most of the stuff you have to memorise is just definitions, advantages and disadvantages and a vague understanding of the concept.

I personally never used flashcards, but I know a lot people do. Essentially this is how I approached memorising the content:
My distance learning provider gave me 8 assignments for AS and 8 assignments for A2, the assignments cover the content for the entire a level.
Basically say I was doing Assignment 4 for example, which was marketing for me, I was told to read pages 140- 170 and make notes for it. I'd go through the pages and make notes for it using only the textbook, then I'd watch videos on the topic and make additional notes.

Making notes are fine but you have to do more to actually remember the content. Basically you want to do spaced repetition or spaced memorization. (search on youtube if you havent heard of it, theres a lot of videos on it)
After you make the notes for a topic, you want to make your own questions, that basically summarise the key stuff in a chapter(like 2- 3 pages of questions, for one topic). For example, say i've made notes on a marketing chapter , I'd make like 2-3 pages worth of short and medium legnth questions, on the stuff I've learnt, the questions usually derived from the content in the textbook. For example:
Question 1:
What is diseconomies of scale?
Question 2: What are the advantages of a full cost pricing method?

Basically I'd use these questions to revisit topics, you need to revisit topics somewhat frequently so you don't forget content, some topics yoou won't forget a lot ( like the finance chapters) but like motivation theories for example are very easy to forget and come up a lot.

After I've made the notes and the questions(that I'd use at a later date to familiarize myself with a chapter), I'd do the assignment that my distance learning provider set me and these are basically just good for exam technique.

TakingTheBiz, he covers a lot of the AS, some of the harder A2 topics but I'd use him to supplement your revision rather than rely on his or anyone else's channel tbh. Your textbook is the most important as it is made by the exam board who make your exams so your core revision should come from that. Saying that, sometimes the textbooks are horrible at explaining some things so obviously this is where channels like taking the biz are a godsend.
Original post by noyou1234
I didn't do Edexcel but there isn't a massive difference in content with the exam boards. Obviously get the edexcel AS and A2 book and just start working through it. The AS stuff is fairly easy and overall the a level doesn't get significantly harder as you go from the AS-A2 topics, most of the stuff you have to memorise is just definitions, advantages and disadvantages and a vague understanding of the concept.

I personally never used flashcards, but I know a lot people do. Essentially this is how I approached memorising the content:
My distance learning provider gave me 8 assignments for AS and 8 assignments for A2, the assignments cover the content for the entire a level.
Basically say I was doing Assignment 4 for example, which was marketing for me, I was told to read pages 140- 170 and make notes for it. I'd go through the pages and make notes for it using only the textbook, then I'd watch videos on the topic and make additional notes.

Making notes are fine but you have to do more to actually remember the content. Basically you want to do spaced repetition or spaced memorization. (search on youtube if you havent heard of it, theres a lot of videos on it)
After you make the notes for a topic, you want to make your own questions, that basically summarise the key stuff in a chapter(like 2- 3 pages of questions, for one topic). For example, say i've made notes on a marketing chapter , I'd make like 2-3 pages worth of short and medium legnth questions, on the stuff I've learnt, the questions usually derived from the content in the textbook. For example:
Question 1:
What is diseconomies of scale?
Question 2: What are the advantages of a full cost pricing method?

Basically I'd use these questions to revisit topics, you need to revisit topics somewhat frequently so you don't forget content, some topics yoou won't forget a lot ( like the finance chapters) but like motivation theories for example are very easy to forget and come up a lot.

After I've made the notes and the questions(that I'd use at a later date to familiarize myself with a chapter), I'd do the assignment that my distance learning provider set me and these are basically just good for exam technique.

TakingTheBiz, he covers a lot of the AS, some of the harder A2 topics but I'd use him to supplement your revision rather than rely on his or anyone else's channel tbh. Your textbook is the most important as it is made by the exam board who make your exams so your core revision should come from that. Saying that, sometimes the textbooks are horrible at explaining some things so obviously this is where channels like taking the biz are a godsend.

Thank you so much for this, I appreciate all the detail you've put into this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending