The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Graphic Design: UAL or Kingston?

Heya, I've just received an unconditional from KSA to study Graphic Design and I'm waiting on responses from UAL (Camberwell + LCC) I'm currently 99% sure that I don't wan't to go to LCC. However, I'd love to hear from other applicants / current students/ recent graduates from both Camberwell + Kingston on their thoughts of the Graphic Design BA because I'm really undecided atm.
Reply 1
Quick question, why don’t you want to go to LCC ?
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Original post by YellowBumbleBea
Heya, I've just received an unconditional from KSA to study Graphic Design and I'm waiting on responses from UAL (Camberwell + LCC) I'm currently 99% sure that I don't wan't to go to LCC. However, I'd love to hear from other applicants / current students/ recent graduates from both Camberwell + Kingston on their thoughts of the Graphic Design BA because I'm really undecided atm.

Hi, I have an offer for Graphics at Kingston and LCC too, but I'm waiting to hear from CSM, If I get in I will be very stuck between Kingston and CSM, but if I don't I think I will choose Kingston over LCC. At LCC the course I applied for is Graphic Branding and Identity but at Kingston it is Graphic Design. I feel like I might learn more as it's probably more broad.
Original post by YellowBumbleBea

Hi,I've applied to Kingston and Camberwell and I'm also very stuck on which I'm going to choose. I've been at Kingston on their foundation course for the past year and the support and tutor advice I've received has been excellent (especially during the pandemic! I've heard some art schools in comparison have really struggled to keep up with COVID changes) but I'm not sure if I want to stay on in the same place for the next 3 years. I know UAL has a big reputation both within the UK and abroad (though Kingston also very good reputation) so I'm trying to figure out at the moment if UAL is more highly regarded by employers in industry. I want to try set myself up well for when I come out of my degree so I think graduate prospects will be quite a big factor in making my decision.Don't know if this helps at all
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,I've applied to Kingston and Camberwell and I'm also very stuck on which I'm going to choose. I've been at Kingston on their foundation course for the past year and the support and tutor advice I've received has been excellent (especially during the pandemic! I've heard some art schools in comparison have really struggled to keep up with COVID changes) but I'm not sure if I want to stay on in the same place for the next 3 years. I know UAL has a big reputation both within the UK and abroad (though Kingston also very good reputation) so I'm trying to figure out at the moment if UAL is more highly regarded by employers in industry. I want to try set myself up well for when I come out of my degree so I think graduate prospects will be quite a big factor in making my decision.Don't know if this helps at all

That really interesting a lot of people have that question Kingston vs UAL I applied to both for foundation and can decide I feel like with kingston I can have more support and the can focus on the student vs UAL which has been getting multiple bad review (it that's mostly because of the higher online presence? So we get to know more?) Ual (especially CSM) had the reputation and it has the facilities It would be an environment that would push you because of the harsh competition.

What did u end up deciding?
and could you talk about your foundation year
Original post by Wolfandsheep
That really interesting a lot of people have that question Kingston vs UAL I applied to both for foundation and can decide I feel like with kingston I can have more support and the can focus on the student vs UAL which has been getting multiple bad review (it that's mostly because of the higher online presence? So we get to know more?) Ual (especially CSM) had the reputation and it has the facilities It would be an environment that would push you because of the harsh competition.

What did u end up deciding?
and could you talk about your foundation year

Hi, I have just firmed Kingston Graphic Design for next year! I was unsuccessful with my application for CSM but am not feeling bad about it at all. I was leaning towards Kingston anyway so my decision was made for me. I think I can see myself more at Kingston, they have given off a better impression, holding seminars with the tutors and contacting me frequently to ask if I have any questions whereas CSM made me wait 7 weeks from my interview just to tell me I was rejected even though in the interview they said I would hear within two weeks.

I can't wait to study at Kingston and as for the foundation, I did my foundation at a college in London that wasn't ual or Kingston so I can't speak on that behalf.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I have just firmed Kingston Graphic Design for next year! I was unsuccessful with my application for CSM but am not feeling bad about it at all. I was leaning towards Kingston anyway so my decision was made for me. I think I can see myself more at Kingston, they have given off a better impression, holding seminars with the tutors and contacting me frequently to ask if I have any questions whereas CSM made me wait 7 weeks from my interview just to tell me I was rejected even though in the interview they said I would hear within two weeks.

I can't wait to study at Kingston and as for the foundation, I did my foundation at a college in London that wasn't ual or Kingston so I can't speak on that behalf.

Congratulations on your offer!
I think deep down kingston is my top choice, I'm just confused because I feel like it's a shame to not go to csm( it's name/connection) as they both have great facilities (the most important to me)
Congratulations on your offer!
I think deep down kingston is my top choice, I'm just confused because I feel like it's a shame to not go to csm( it's name/connection) as they both have great facilities (the most important to me)

Hi, I firmed an offer for a Graduate diploma at Kingston and I had also studied at LCC previously. What I will say is your school is what you make of it in terms of connections. It’s about the holistic experience of the school. At LCC, our study was really self directed and you had to be really motivated to create great work. The same goes for connections: you have to be a bit of a social butterfly and be comfortable putting you and your work out there. Be comfortable in asking professors about their industry experience, tell them what you’re interested in and how they can assist you. It’s easier at a smaller school to have a better relationship with professors, something I can’t say for UAL. I think every prof, regardless of school, has connections both big and obscure; it’s just about being confident in discussing your goals. From my understanding, CSM focuses most on its fashion program so I think that would add to a student's prestige. Unless an employer went to the same school as you or knows about you, they won’t care where you studied. The most important thing is the quality of your work
Sorry if my response was wordy or dismissive. It’s something I struggled with during my undergrad, having not gone to a super prestigious school in the US. There were still industry contacts but mainly through alumna and student parents (one of my friend’s mum was a manager at Penguin Random House). I say all this to say, connections exist everywhere, they just may take some digging.
Original post by Orphelium
Sorry if my response was wordy or dismissive. It’s something I struggled with during my undergrad, having not gone to a super prestigious school in the US. There were still industry contacts but mainly through alumna and student parents (one of my friend’s mum was a manager at Penguin Random House). I say all this to say, connections exist everywhere, they just may take some digging.

No not at all thanks for taking the time to respond, and you're right connection are what you make of them plus I would feel more comfortable getting to know the professor and students better, but I might be getting ahead of myself haha I actually just submitted my portfolio for Kingston Thursday and last month for Ual 🤞
No not at all thanks for taking the time to respond, and you're right connection are what you make of them plus I would feel more comfortable getting to know the professor and students better, but I might be getting ahead of myself haha I actually just submitted my portfolio for Kingston Thursday and last month for Ual 🤞

No worries! I really hope you get into your top choice. Plus since you’re doing foundation, you can always choose a different school for your degree, depending on your experience ☺️
Original post by Orphelium
No worries! I really hope you get into your top choice. Plus since you’re doing foundation, you can always choose a different school for your degree, depending on your experience ☺️

Thanks a lot I'll comment back here on my results and I hope you have a great time there

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending