The Student Room Group

a level combinations

is business, economics and sociology a good and respected a level combination?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
“Good” is totally subjective.
As for how “respected” it is, not really. Universities prefer that you don’t take both business and economics
Original post by Mikos
“Good” is totally subjective.
As for how “respected” it is, not really. Universities prefer that you don’t take both business and economics

would a university reject me because of that though?
Reply 3
Original post by noturhabibti
would a university reject me because of that though?

It depends where you’re applying (I doubt lower ranked/old polytechs will be that arsed), but it’s possible that a better university could raise your offer or take another candidate over you, yes.
Original post by Mikos
It depends where you’re applying (I doubt lower ranked/old polytechs will be that arsed), but it’s possible that a better university could raise your offer or take another candidate over you, yes.

i'm looking to apply to King's College to study International Management, would they reject me because of my a-level combination?
Reply 5
i'm looking to apply to King's College to study International Management, would they reject me because of my a-level combination?

A lot of institutions will not count it as an extra subject because of the overlap, I imagine somewhere like Kings will have a similar view. I wouldn’t be surprised if they rejected you on that basis.
Original post by Mikos
A lot of institutions will not count it as an extra subject because of the overlap, I imagine somewhere like Kings will have a similar view. I wouldn’t be surprised if they rejected you on that basis.

woah. thank you so much for telling me, what would be a better combination, considering i definitely want to take business?
Reply 7
woah. thank you so much for telling me, what would be a better combination, considering i definitely want to take business?

Unless there are any a-levels specifically requested just choose whatever you think you’ll enjoy/do well in. The most important thing aside from having a competitive a-level combination is actually meeting the grade requirements after all :smile:

According to their entry requirement:
https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/international-management-bsc
They only want you to have at least one humanities or social science subject, you have sociology which is a social science so your a levels are totally fine, you just need to meet the grades :smile:
Original post by DSKE
According to their entry requirement:
https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/international-management-bsc
They only want you to have at least one humanities or social science subject, you have sociology which is a social science so your a levels are totally fine, you just need to meet the grades :smile:

after researching what @Mikos said, I noticed that there are articles that say that taking Business and Economics is too narrow (like LSE and UoW). even though KCL haven't mentioned it, will they still reject me?

Original post by Mikos
Unless there are any a-levels specifically requested just choose whatever you think you’ll enjoy/do well in. The most important thing aside from having a competitive a-level combination is actually meeting the grade requirements after all :smile:

i guess so, thank you so much
after researching what @Mikos said, I noticed that there are articles that say that taking Business and Economics is too narrow (like LSE and UoW). even though KCL haven't mentioned it, will they still reject me?

I don’t think KCL will reject you, if you have a look at their subject requirements https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/international-management-bsc
it says they don’t have any preferred subjects and they only want you to have at least one humanities subject, so I don’t think they will reject you, they would have mentioned it in their website if they didn’t want you to take business and economics. But it’s best to ask them if you’re still uncertain.
Original post by DSKE
I don’t think KCL will reject you, if you have a look at their subject requirements https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/international-management-bsc
it says they don’t have any preferred subjects and they only want you to have at least one humanities subject, so I don’t think they will reject you, they would have mentioned it in their website if they didn’t want you to take business and economics. But it’s best to ask them if you’re still uncertain.

yes, I had a look at their website before applying for my A levels, but now I'm feeling nervous :/ i've emailed a few of their staff and I hope they're honest
What other A levels are you considering?
Original post by PandaPancake0
What other A levels are you considering?

other than business, economics & sociology, i'm considering philosophy and english language
I'd recommend you to do A Level subjects you want to do rather than studying a subject just because a university prefers it, as I decided to take Physics instead of business and I have regretted it so much because I was worried about Warwick not accepting me for taking business and economics.
Original post by Ronaldinhoe
I'd recommend you to do A Level subjects you want to do rather than studying a subject just because a university prefers it, as I decided to take Physics instead of business and I have regretted it so much because I was worried about Warwick not accepting me for taking business and economics.

ohh :/ but did warwick accept you?
I just want to say taking business and sociology is likely not a good idea as they are both 'soft' subjects. Usually you want 2 'hard' subjects and 1 'soft'.

I would also be inclined to agree with the business and economics overlap. I do business A level and there are a lot of people who also do economics. The people who do economics haven't be learning anything new in months because we have been doing the economics content and its been incredibly boring for them. Economics is more valuable than business so i would suggest out of business and economics choosing economics.
Original post by something_orphic
I just want to say taking business and sociology is likely not a good idea as they are both 'soft' subjects. Usually you want 2 'hard' subjects and 1 'soft'.

I would also be inclined to agree with the business and economics overlap. I do business A level and there are a lot of people who also do economics. The people who do economics haven't be learning anything new in months because we have been doing the economics content and its been incredibly boring for them. Economics is more valuable than business so i would suggest out of business and economics choosing economics.

I thought the concept of 'hard' and 'soft’ a levels isn't a thing anymore?
Original post by something_orphic

in a sense, isn't good that they haven't been learning new content because they can relax in the lessons?
Original post by username54
I thought the concept of 'hard' and 'soft’ a levels isn't a thing anymore?

yea i mean its a bit sort of outdated but I am kind of describing them as that just to make it easier to understand. Normally it doesn't matter too much if you get good grades however, applying to a top uni like Kings, they would want to see that you are capable of a large workload and are able to handle challenging content which i think a great way of showing that is having less 'soft' subjects. Obviously all A levels are hard and require hard work but something like an A in History is going to be more impressive than an A in media studies for example. I hope that makes sense.

Obviously i think people should just take whatever they are interested in and not just take subjects because someone told them to as at the end of the day that is likely to get you better grades. If the OP wants to take business and sociology then do. This is just my own personal opinion :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest