The Student Room Group

Help me to decide please !!

Hey guys,

I’m in a dilemma - I’m going to be applying for uni this September (well only if I apply to Oxford) and I’m deciding what course to apply to. I really want to go to Imperial to study and am unsure of what course looks better Earth Science ( Geology ) vs Materials Science. Can anyone studying tell me about the courses and which is more interesting? Also say in a few years I decided I want to pursue something else like finance would both courses be okay?

Thanks everyone :-)
Choose your course first, then the unis. For engineering and Earth Science/Geology the best unis aren't always the name brand ones, arguably they're normally not.

Only you can decide which course you will find the most interesting, so do your research to decide which subject and career path you like best. This is particularly important for engineering because if you fall out of love with it during your course it's going to go a lot worse than if that happens with other subjects.

Pretty much any subject is fine for finance. Certain jobs within finance etc will prefer quantitative backgrounds in which case you might want to look for a degree titled Materials Engineering or Materials Science and Engineering.
Reply 2
Original post by Helloworld_95
Choose your course first, then the unis. For engineering and Earth Science/Geology the best unis aren't always the name brand ones, arguably they're normally not.

Only you can decide which course you will find the most interesting, so do your research to decide which subject and career path you like best. This is particularly important for engineering because if you fall out of love with it during your course it's going to go a lot worse than if that happens with other subjects.

Pretty much any subject is fine for finance. Certain jobs within finance etc will prefer quantitative backgrounds in which case you might want to look for a degree titled Materials Engineering or Materials Science and Engineering.

Thank you for this - does degree not really matter then for finance? Also would firms see a Geology degree from Imperial as “softer” when compared to the engineering degrees?

I like the sound of a Geology degree a lot more (sounds a lot more interesting) so my biggest worry is that if it came to it would firms hire an engineering grad over a geology grad?
Original post by fudu_bahman
Thank you for this - does degree not really matter then for finance? Also would firms see a Geology degree from Imperial as “softer” when compared to the engineering degrees?

I like the sound of a Geology degree a lot more (sounds a lot more interesting) so my biggest worry is that if it came to it would firms hire an engineering grad over a geology grad?

Degree doesn't really matter for finance. Geology won't be seen as softer than engineering, that's not really a thing at degree level. I think you're trying to apply concepts which are used for A levels to degrees, when they don't transfer.

If you're more interested in Geology then do Geology.

Quick Reply

Latest