The Student Room Group

premarital sex.

why do sm ppl consider it bad/sin/taboo?wht difference does it make in a person's life?
Often people are against the idea of premarital sex due to their religion.
Original post by Anonymous

yeah pretty much
Religions tend to make it a part of the concept of marriage (abrahmic ones in thinking of) to give value to the concept.

Aka. It’s meant to be meaningful for people who adhere to the concept,
why do sm ppl consider it bad/sin/taboo?wht difference does it make in a person's life?

I think generally it's a religious value, plenty of religious texts frame marraige and sex as sacred and deeply intertwined. I think some non-religious people also choose to avoid sex on a trust basis, although that's less about it as a taboo. You are exposing yourself (particularly as a woman, who always risks the chance of pregnancy) and for some that lack of security and assurance is scary. Marraige implies long term commitment that some need before they take the inherent risk that is sex.
Reply 5

Original post by EconomicsStud3nt
Religions tend to make it a part of the concept of marriage (abrahmic ones in thinking of) to give value to the concept.

Aka. It’s meant to be meaningful for people who adhere to the concept,

Original post by PleasureToBurn
I think generally it's a religious value, plenty of religious texts frame marraige and sex as sacred and deeply intertwined. I think some non-religious people also choose to avoid sex on a trust basis, although that's less about it as a taboo. You are exposing yourself (particularly as a woman, who always risks the chance of pregnancy) and for some that lack of security and assurance is scary. Marraige implies long term commitment that some need before they take the inherent risk that

does tht mean its actually not a sin?.. i mean i jst dont get why ppl are so obsessed with "premarital sex is sin"..and whn smbdy ask abt it..the answer is hell..or smthing like that..and the replies u gave makes sense tho..its going to help it is after marriage..but whts the need to scare ppl?
does tht mean its actually not a sin?.. i mean i jst dont get why ppl are so obsessed with "premarital sex is sin"..and whn smbdy ask abt it..the answer is hell..or smthing like that..and the replies u gave makes sense tho..its going to help it is after marriage..but whts the need to scare ppl?

It really depends on the religion. The consensus is that sex outside of marriage is a sin because it encourages social decoherence or stability, hell only happens if somebody is judged to have been an evil person. The more you sin, the more likely you are to be considered evil.

Rules are rules for a reason, in religion, especially the Abrahamic ones, the rules are usually called guidance for what believers consider the "ideal" society.
Don't overlook people simply being prudish and controlling who think sex shouldn't happen. At all.
Reply 8
It really depends on the religion. The consensus is that sex outside of marriage is a sin because it encourages social decoherence or stability, hell only happens if somebody is judged to have been an evil person. The more you sin, the more likely you are to be considered evil.

Rules are rules for a reason, in religion, especially the Abrahamic ones, the rules are usually called guidance for what believers consider the "ideal" society.

i dont understand how premarital sex will affect as u wrote stability.. and wdym by decoherence?..abrahamic one..The Jew u means?

Only religious people would be against it
i dont understand how premarital sex will affect as u wrote stability.. and wdym by decoherence?..abrahamic one..The Jew u means?

I think the idea is, family is meant to be clans of people - people by relation. When premarital sex happens, different people become associated with different bloodlines genealogically. It helps to keep order, at least it did so in the past.

Abrahamic means any religion that stems from Abraham as a founding prophet, so that includes Jews, Muslims and Christians
I think the idea is, family is meant to be clans of people - people by relation. When premarital sex happens, different people become associated with different bloodlines genealogically. It helps to keep order, at least it did so in the past.

Abrahamic means any religion that stems from Abraham as a founding prophet, so that includes Jews, Muslims and Christians

yh i get wht u r sayin..thnks for talking abt wht you think..i rlly appreciate it..and btw i rlly dont know wht decoherence means
just depends on the culture/religion

Religious rules designed to ensure that relationships stay within the religion, and that the resulting children will be indoctrinated to follow the religion.

Religions are pyramid schemes by necessity - most wouldn't believe their illogic without indoctrination.
(edited 3 years ago)
Often a mix of: family tradition, religious teachings, social traditionalism committed to married parents having children, national cultural values and victorian era prudery.
Generally trying to minimize the risks of single parenthood as a result of unplanned pregnancy and a means of heavily discouraging non-monogomous sexual activity within society.
I think it’s worth pointing out that not all religious people (including Abrahamic religious people) are against premartial sex, and some non-religious people are :tongue:

Essentially as people have said above some might think that it’s forbidden by religious doctrine or texts, or that it undermines the concept of family or marriage (which can be important either for faith or personal reasons). Some people also feel that as sex is a very important and meaningful act, it should be saved for someone you’re totally committed to building a family and home with, again potentially for religious or non-religious reasons.

You could come up with various sociological/evolutionary biology arguments for why those arguments might exist (eg family stability is important for survival) and plenty of arguments as to why premartial sex is fine or the arguments against it might be incoherent.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending