The Student Room Group

What kind of jobs could I get with these following qualifications.

Hi I'm Shawn. 26 years old with ASD and Asperger Syndrome who is starting to find work after slacking for years due to mental health and depression. I've recently applied for a Store Assistant role at a local ALDI, but rather than having my eggs in one basket I want to find out what else I can qualify for in addition to the kinds of experience and transferable skills I'll have to offer? I'm aiming to try and earn my independence. I adore my family and how they've put up with me for so long, but I want to start a life of my own to get a rented place by the mid of next year preferably. What would you propose I do? One of the reasons I never worked before is confusion of what I'm actually qualified for.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Wanttobreakfree
Hi I'm Shawn. 26 years old with ASD and Asperger Syndrome who is starting to find work after slacking for years due to mental health and depression. I've recently applied for a Store Assistant role at a local ALDI, but rather than having my eggs in one basket I want to find out what else I can qualify for in addition to the kinds of experience and transferable skills I'll have to offer? I'm aiming to try and earn my independence. I adore my family and how they've put up with me for so long, but I want to start a life of my own to get a rented place by the mid of next year preferably. What would you propose I do? One of the reasons I never worked before is confusion of what I'm actually qualified for.

Hi Shawn

you have a range of qualifications which is good as it shows that you have continued in education. I would have thought that performing arts sets you up well for customer service type employment - store assistant is an example.

I suggest you correct the spelling mistakes in your qualifications document if you might send it to anyone - that will make a better impression, and I would also shorten the wording
so
AQA General Certificate of Secondary Education
becomes
GCSE
People don't want to wade through lots of words trying to find what you have achieved. They don't care what exam board you did - AQA or OCR. They will probably be most interested in English and Maths so I would put them near the top, after the level 3s which I think are your most advanced qualifications.

Good luck
Original post by ReadingMum
Hi Shawn

you have a range of qualifications which is good as it shows that you have continued in education. I would have thought that performing arts sets you up well for customer service type employment - store assistant is an example.

I suggest you correct the spelling mistakes in your qualifications document if you might send it to anyone - that will make a better impression, and I would also shorten the wording
so
AQA General Certificate of Secondary Education
becomes
GCSE
People don't want to wade through lots of words trying to find what you have achieved. They don't care what exam board you did - AQA or OCR. They will probably be most interested in English and Maths so I would put them near the top, after the level 3s which I think are your most advanced qualifications.

Good luck

Understandable appreciate the advice. In the meantime I've also just inquired for a job at my local shop which has just recently expanded it's bound to have a vacancy or two. Also don't laugh (haha), but this is genuinely the very first time I've learned that's what GCSE stands for. Makes sense though cause it's all recognised as an achievement under Secondary Education. Think it's only been recently that my brain feels fully developed. (Before I was ashamedly contempt like a housecat. Wouldn't leave the house would waste my time on social media and video games.) Gah it's a pain when my mind needlessly over-complicates things. With regards to Maths though since I've a E(e) how could I go about changing that into a C?

One last issue is how you think I should go about finding work if I can't find one that suits my area of expertise in my area; should I do local odd jobs saving up for rent searching jobs within my area of choice before renting a property?
If you do Facebook you can always join local groups and make a post saying that you are looking for work - people like to see initiative. Any income is better than no income while you look for something more permanent.
In order to improve your maths you would probably need to find an adult education college offering a course.
If you do Facebook you can always join local groups and make a post saying that you are looking for work - people like to see initiative. Any income is better than no income while you look for something more permanent.
In order to improve your maths you would probably need to find an adult education college offering a course.

This read better now? Only reason I put the specific exam boards is cause I wasn't sure if I got more of one same qualification. Also yeah I could try Facebook local groups.
Hi - still spelling mistakes I am afraid. Communication and Additional

You do seem to have some subjects twice like Maths at E and Entry level 3. Did you do some at school and some at college? I would only list the one with the highest grade.

If I am confused then a potential employer might be too. Could you contact your college to get clarification on exactly what they all are? The WJEC look like GCSEs alongside the AQA and OCR ones and then there also seems to be an international GCSE in there but it doesn't state the subject.
Hi - still spelling mistakes I am afraid. Communication and Additional

You do seem to have some subjects twice like Maths at E and Entry level 3. Did you do some at school and some at college? I would only list the one with the highest grade.

If I am confused then a potential employer might be too. Could you contact your college to get clarification on exactly what they all are? The WJEC look like GCSEs alongside the AQA and OCR ones and then there also seems to be an international GCSE in there but it doesn't state the subject.

Whoops... I hadn't noticed those. Fixed. GCSE E(e) higher than Functional Skills Entry Level 3? I believe so yeah. Will keep that in mind. As for the WJEC's all of them with the exception of Art & Design B(b) are Entry Level Certifications. Maybe that's what's causing the confusion. Decided I'm going to watch You Tube videos on methods how to approach GCSE Mathematics and then I'll enroll on a past time free course. Cheers for the advice.

Quick Reply