The Student Room Group

Migrant worker status change

Hi, I'm an EU citizen and currently getting Student Finance as a migrant worker. I'm going to be 5 years in the UK in May and my question is, when I apply for student finance for next year, can I apply as an EU student instead of migrant worker?
Original post by Szandra_
Hi, I'm an EU citizen and currently getting Student Finance as a migrant worker. I'm going to be 5 years in the UK in May and my question is, when I apply for student finance for next year, can I apply as an EU student instead of migrant worker?

Hi, do you have settled or pre settled status? When did your course start?
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi, do you have settled or pre settled status? When did your course start?
Thanks, Isaac

Hi Isaac. I have pre-settled status at the moment, I moved to the UK in May 2016, so I can apply for settled status this May. My course started in September /2020/.
Hi Isaac. I have pre-settled status at the moment, I moved to the UK in May 2016, so I can apply for settled status this May. My course started in September /2020/.

You can apply as a home student for SFE funding once you have settled status.
The home office will email you a letter to state you have settled status, if you upload this letter and the share code once you have the settled status then you will be classed as a home student.

As you don't have settled status now, you can either apply as a Migrant Worker or for the tuition fee loan only and then switch once you have settled status.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
You can apply as a home student for SFE funding once you have settled status.
The home office will email you a letter to state you have settled status, if you upload this letter and the share code once you have the settled status then you will be classed as a home student.

As you don't have settled status now, you can either apply as a Migrant Worker or for the tuition fee loan only and then switch once you have settled status.
Thanks, Isaac

Thank you for your help
Thank you for your help

You're welcome :smile:
Reply 6
You're welcome :smile:

Hi Isaac,
Sorry one more question for you. I’m aware that while I’m a migrant worker I have to stay employed. I’m working full time at the moment, but I want to ask my employer to put me part- time, because I need more time for my studies. How many hours per week minimum I have to work and still qualify as migrant worker?
Hi Isaac,
Sorry one more question for you. I’m aware that while I’m a migrant worker I have to stay employed. I’m working full time at the moment, but I want to ask my employer to put me part- time, because I need more time for my studies. How many hours per week minimum I have to work and still qualify as migrant worker?

There is not a minimum amount of hours, even applicants on a zero hour contract can be accepted. Our assessors will review your case to make a decision.
Thanks, Isaac
Good afternoon SFE,

I would like to change my status from a migrant worker to a home student. However, I am not sure how to do it. I have settled status and I started my course while being in UK 4 years beforehand. Is it possible to send any required documentation through email? Also, do I need to switch my status before re-applying for 2021-2022?

Kind regards,
Karolina
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by karolinutele8
Good afternoon SFE,

I would like to change my status from a migrant worker to a home student. However, I am not sure how to do it. I have settled status and I started my course while being in UK 4 years beforehand. Is it possible to send any required documentation through email? Also, do I need to switch my status before re-applying for 2021-2022?

Kind regards,
Karolina

Hi Karolina, please avoid posting the same question 3 times.

I have responded here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6952704&p=95257392&page=2&highlight=#post95257392

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 10
Thank you for your help

Hi Isaac,
I’ve granted the settled staus now. I have the letter from the Home Office and the share code. Where and how can I upload these to change my status?
I emailed the Student Advice team at my uni and they told me that my status cannot change if I’m already started my course. So I’m a bit confused now.
Thanks for your help
Szandra
Hi Isaac,
I’ve granted the settled staus now. I have the letter from the Home Office and the share code. Where and how can I upload these to change my status?
I emailed the Student Advice team at my uni and they told me that my status cannot change if I’m already started my course. So I’m a bit confused now.
Thanks for your help
Szandra

They are wrong. Our regulations have changed.

You can receive home student funding from your second year starting September 2021.

Please send in the PN1 SFE form http://ow.ly/d/8pbk 21/22 and write your settled status share code on the form and attach the home office letter.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest