The Student Room Group

My Academic Ghost Train (warning: mentions of *CHEMISTRY*)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StarshineDiamond
I'm not sure whether I should be concerned or not :awesome: Is your head going to be in the toilet because you feel nauseous? If so, make sure to drink lots of water and try to avoid strong-smelling foods. If you can, don't lie down and wear loose clothes. Also, avoid hot, fried or greasy foods. I don't mind when you post btw - my sleeping schedule is messed up anyways so I can be up later than 9 most of the time.

I feel like I should be concerned haha. Why do you know so much about feeling nauseous... I am feeling a lot better this morning but still pretty crappy :smile:
Original post by Maisielytical
I feel like I should be concerned haha. Why do you know so much about feeling nauseous... I am feeling a lot better this morning but still pretty crappy :smile:

I'm glad you're feeling better :smile: (also I used a bit of google and my own knowledge :wink:)
Evening everyone!
Today I only had 2 lessons again so I feel like I really need to pat myself on the back.
I mean... chem first lesson just doesn't compute. How am I meant to understand something this hard when I literally just woke up 5 minutes ago. Flaws in the system!
I slept through the next two free periods cause I am still feeling crappy and at this point, I DESERVE IT!!! We have been at this whole online learning thing now for two months and bloody hell is it hard. On top of that, we are going back to school next week so if I don't do it now, when will I be able to do it. I also deserve to treat myself because of the s*** ton of covid swabs we will be doing over the next few months at the minimum.
I then had bio and we have to do presentations and present them at school on Wednesday. Since when did I deserve this! It is the first week back and I am already being subjected to this crap. You can tell that I am really triggered and annoyed tonight haha. Mostly because of the *drugs* (I am not a druggy, I am just taking paracetamol for my head. Don't do drugs kids :wink:)
But yeh, after that I had given up and got ready for my work experience that I was doing this afternoon on my usual farm (not the one that caused me to get a fungal infection and leave a scar on my arm. Story for another time) but they cancelled last minute. So here I was thinking, because I get to go and hang to on a cool farm this afternoon, I don't have to attend this compulsory school lecture about 'motivation going back to school' that the sixth form are meant to go to. No more excuses! *insert rude word* me...
Yeh... so my afternoon sucked and they still expected me to do Hw after that! Well jokes on them because I just spent the whole afternoon watching RuPaul's Drag race Season 9.
So basically I am now screwed because of the overwhelming amount of work that I still have to do for both school and for medic mentor. Kill me now :laugh:
Evening everyone!
Today I only had 2 lessons again so I feel like I really need to pat myself on the back.
I mean... chem first lesson just doesn't compute. How am I meant to understand something this hard when I literally just woke up 5 minutes ago. Flaws in the system!
I slept through the next two free periods cause I am still feeling crappy and at this point, I DESERVE IT!!! We have been at this whole online learning thing now for two months and bloody hell is it hard. On top of that, we are going back to school next week so if I don't do it now, when will I be able to do it. I also deserve to treat myself because of the s*** ton of covid swabs we will be doing over the next few months at the minimum.
I then had bio and we have to do presentations and present them at school on Wednesday. Since when did I deserve this! It is the first week back and I am already being subjected to this crap. You can tell that I am really triggered and annoyed tonight haha. Mostly because of the *drugs* (I am not a druggy, I am just taking paracetamol for my head. Don't do drugs kids :wink:)
But yeh, after that I had given up and got ready for my work experience that I was doing this afternoon on my usual farm (not the one that caused me to get a fungal infection and leave a scar on my arm. Story for another time) but they cancelled last minute. So here I was thinking, because I get to go and hang to on a cool farm this afternoon, I don't have to attend this compulsory school lecture about 'motivation going back to school' that the sixth form are meant to go to. No more excuses! *insert rude word* me...
Yeh... so my afternoon sucked and they still expected me to do Hw after that! Well jokes on them because I just spent the whole afternoon watching RuPaul's Drag race Season 9.
So basically I am now screwed because of the overwhelming amount of work that I still have to do for both school and for medic mentor. Kill me now :laugh:

This is a mood, I have all my chemistry lessons at 9am so I know the feeling.

Can I have a tag please :biggrin:
Evening everyone!

ooooh I like the idea of a story time - I would love to know what happened on the farm. Also same, I have so much work to do before school resumes. I'm hoping that breaking down my tasks will make it easier to manage; hopefully you're able to manage as well.
Guess what! We are finished school until we go back on Monday and I am *harsher word for pooping* myself.
I don't know whether I should laugh because I get a three day weekend or cry, that I have got to go get a covid test tomorrow. *Poop* is getting real kids. It is all happening.
My mum finally persuaded me to go and see a therapist today. Another reason to be *pooping* myself.
I had an upgrade to an iced coffee though today! I got a caramel frappuccino with extra coffee, whipped cream (which I don't usually get cause I am already *large* but I was feeling naughty :wink:) and caramel sauce. My. Day. Was. Made.
If you ever want to make me happy in anyway shape or size, buy me any type of frappuccino from any coffee place with extra coffee base. I will be happy for hrs. Or mozzarella sticks. They're good too.
But yeh, very chuffed with fact that I do not have school tomorrow though I still have to wake up and get dressed for the first time in who knows how long to go down and get a covid test at school for 10. Then I have to do work experience on a farm ):
I swear to god, those bloody sheep better not give me another fungal infection because I already have one scar from that!
I need a holiday
(edited 3 years ago)
Another day done! I have been thinking, and keeping this blog and posting everyday, I will be able to look back and this and think, where did the time or how much I have grown but the most likely thought will be "how screwed up was I" :laugh:
I have been good today. I didn't drink any coffee which I good so that I don't inject too much caffeine. Though, I must say, I was dying today. I mean who knew that you could become so dependant on coffee over lockdown and when I will be going back to school, I will be drinking less so I can just imagine the reck that I will become haha
I had my covid test today for school and honestly, it was not that bad at all. Guess your imagination really does like to make things worse.
I spent the rest of the day watching the flash and I must have gotten up to ep 7 or 8 on the first season, bearing in mind, this is my 2nd time watching it all.
We had curry for dinner and then here I am. My stomach is absolutely bursting cause I think I ate waayyy too much but oh well, you only live once right?
Another day done! I have been thinking, and keeping this blog and posting everyday, I will be able to look back and this and think, where did the time or how much I have grown but the most likely thought will be "how screwed up was I" :laugh:
I have been good today. I didn't drink any coffee which I good so that I don't inject too much caffeine. Though, I must say, I was dying today. I mean who knew that you could become so dependant on coffee over lockdown and when I will be going back to school, I will be drinking less so I can just imagine the reck that I will become haha
I had my covid test today for school and honestly, it was not that bad at all. Guess your imagination really does like to make things worse.
I spent the rest of the day watching the flash and I must have gotten up to ep 7 or 8 on the first season, bearing in mind, this is my 2nd time watching it all.
We had curry for dinner and then here I am. My stomach is absolutely bursting cause I think I ate waayyy too much but oh well, you only live once right?

I love the flash! Ngl I gave up on the show tho after like season 5 because 1) I had a lot going on so I didn't really have time to catch up and 2) they were introducing characters that I didn't really like and the whole plot was just kind of getting questionable.I think the last time I watched it was after they defeated barry from the future and something to do with barry and iris' daughter. Either way I love the earlier seasons and Caitlin is always in my heart <3
Sorry I didn't post yesterday because I had such a busy dyad fell sleep really early.
I did work experience yesterday at my usual stables and was up at 8:30 to be at the stables for 10. I was out for around 5 1/2 hours which really sucked the life out of me. I then came home and had to do work for my summer school teaching meeting that was at 10 this morning.
I was sat at my desk, dressed and pressed with my iced coffee and my banana bread for 10am on the dot but of course, we be having tech issues.
My mentor groups for my reflection masterclass were really nice and hopefully, they will also be my mentor group for the summer school (if I make it there before having a breakdown and withdrawing). It was really fun though! I really enjoyed myself and getting to know my mentor and the other girl in my group. We did lots of skills practice on reflection up until 1:15 when we joined back up with the main call for announcements and finished at 1:30.
I then went ahead and tried to get as much work done as possible for my medic mentor courses so I can tick at least some stuff off my to do list and also tried to complete my biology presentation that we are meant to be preparing in the lesson on Monday and Tuesday but lets face it, we all know I ain't gonna work. I will be way too chatty to the other people in the study room to even concentrate.
Now I am kinda just chilling. I am really anxious for tomorrow so I am trying to take my mind off it. I wish you all the best of luck tomorrow if you are going back to school :thumbsup:
Sorry I didn't post yesterday because I had such a busy dyad fell sleep really early.
I did work experience yesterday at my usual stables and was up at 8:30 to be at the stables for 10. I was out for around 5 1/2 hours which really sucked the life out of me. I then came home and had to do work for my summer school teaching meeting that was at 10 this morning.
I was sat at my desk, dressed and pressed with my iced coffee and my banana bread for 10am on the dot but of course, we be having tech issues.
My mentor groups for my reflection masterclass were really nice and hopefully, they will also be my mentor group for the summer school (if I make it there before having a breakdown and withdrawing). It was really fun though! I really enjoyed myself and getting to know my mentor and the other girl in my group. We did lots of skills practice on reflection up until 1:15 when we joined back up with the main call for announcements and finished at 1:30.
I then went ahead and tried to get as much work done as possible for my medic mentor courses so I can tick at least some stuff off my to do list and also tried to complete my biology presentation that we are meant to be preparing in the lesson on Monday and Tuesday but lets face it, we all know I ain't gonna work. I will be way too chatty to the other people in the study room to even concentrate.
Now I am kinda just chilling. I am really anxious for tomorrow so I am trying to take my mind off it. I wish you all the best of luck tomorrow if you are going back to school :thumbsup:

Wow, you really had a long day. I hope you had time to rest today! My weekend was more chilled but I'm also a bit anxious about school. Hopefully things work out and it isn't too bad. I hope you have a nice day tomorrow as well :smile:
Wow, you really had a long day. I hope you had time to rest today! My weekend was more chilled but I'm also a bit anxious about school. Hopefully things work out and it isn't too bad. I hope you have a nice day tomorrow as well :smile:

No rest for me unfortunately today but hoping to have an ok day tomorrow! Thank you very much. Goodluck to you @StarshineDiamond
Okie Dokie. So school. Not as bad as I thought
I mean, I was my usual loner self but people talked to me which was nice ig.
The first thing that I did when I got into school this morning was drink my AWFUL coffee, the second was figure out how long we had until easter and the third was figure out how many weeks until school finishes :biggrin:
Mondays are always the worst days of my week. I positively despise them because my only free is first period which is only 50 mins and there on out I have core maths, bio then chem before lunch which is then followed by a double psych lesson that was only mad a single in lockdown cause our teacher felt bad for us. If only...
I then had to stay behind after school until around 4;30 to do work as my dad was meant to pick me up because my mum was in college but guess who showed up. *insert nasty word here* ALL!!!!!
So I then proceeded to walk myself into town and picked up a nice greasy scallop in the fish and chip shop on the way where still NO FATHER.
So I then walked home... :smile:
Life can be cruel sometimes and hand you an hours walk home from school up hill all the way, so I then decided not to do my homework and treat myself to watching flash for the rest of the night :top:
Hope everyone else had a good day at school today and remember... 3 and a bit weeks left until easter then 18 weeks to the end of the school year including holidays and 15 if you are not counting holidays
Ok. So second day of school. Not bad either.
I literally had 3 lessons today, 2 chem and 1 psych. Otherwise, I finished my 6 pages of reflection evaluation, my work log so far and started my first draft of my psychology in zoos magazine article all on top of chem homework. So in my opinion, a pretty productive day.
I think I am just finding everything really overwhelming. We go back to school and now the teachers are combining online learning with school because they have realised that we can go through powerpoint in lessons and then do the notes at home if they upload the work to teams on top of our homework. It's a bit like 'YOU EXPECT US TO DO THAT AND STILL GET TO SCHOOL AT 8:30 EVERY MORNING.' Bull shite.
Plus, because I want to study veterinary after school, I am basically doing a whole other a level with medic mentor on top of that so PLEASE, CUT ME SOME SLACK. I will take free time where I can get it but unfortunately, I don't get much of that because of this extra pre vet course that I am doing. Life sucks.
Anywaaaayyyyyy. Enough of my ranting. As always, if you have any questions about anything including academics/want help, just let me know. Except if it is English. You can bring that devil of a subject elsewhere cause it has caused me enough mental breakdowns and therapists
Gn everyone (:
Ok. So second day of school. Not bad either.
I literally had 3 lessons today, 2 chem and 1 psych. Otherwise, I finished my 6 pages of reflection evaluation, my work log so far and started my first draft of my psychology in zoos magazine article all on top of chem homework. So in my opinion, a pretty productive day.
I think I am just finding everything really overwhelming. We go back to school and now the teachers are combining online learning with school because they have realised that we can go through powerpoint in lessons and then do the notes at home if they upload the work to teams on top of our homework. It's a bit like 'YOU EXPECT US TO DO THAT AND STILL GET TO SCHOOL AT 8:30 EVERY MORNING.' Bull shite.
Plus, because I want to study veterinary after school, I am basically doing a whole other a level with medic mentor on top of that so PLEASE, CUT ME SOME SLACK. I will take free time where I can get it but unfortunately, I don't get much of that because of this extra pre vet course that I am doing. Life sucks.
Anywaaaayyyyyy. Enough of my ranting. As always, if you have any questions about anything including academics/want help, just let me know. Except if it is English. You can bring that devil of a subject elsewhere cause it has caused me enough mental breakdowns and therapists
Gn everyone (:

wait, so your teachers just make you do the notes at home? doesn't that defeat the purpose of coming in to school? cos you have to properly understand the content as you're making notes so that when you come back to those notes they make sense - if they're just giving you powerpoints to make notes on at home then it isn't really teaching. Unless they do like stuff in lessons to make sure you guys understand what you're learning. I think if it gets too overwhelming then you should definitely tell your teacher(s) or head of year like "yo this is too much, can you guys cut us some slack?". I'm not sure about how other schools are interpreting this but my history teacher told us that the government said we won't be tested on anything we haven't learnt so they've reduced the content we have to learn and in one of the topics we're doing, they discontinued it. Tbh I'm not at sixth form yet so it might be different for you guys seeing as you're going to be needing these subjects/topics at university but if you can find out if any changes will be made to the subjects you're taking. In terms of revision, I'm just really struggling with time management so if you have any tips... (as I'm writing this I'm realising you too are struggling with time management but if there ever was a time when you easily managed your time then please provide tips :erm:). Also, if you did poetry at gcse, how did you revise all 15 poems?
Also science is kicking my ass rn :nope: We've finished all the paper 1 and paper 2 content but when I tell you cell biology is the only thing I remember... When you were revising did you immediately start with past paper questions or did you try and understand the content first? My teacher said we should revise the topics we find hardest first but I don't even remember enough of the curriculum to know which one I find hardest :bawling: Rn I'm just trying to rely on flashcards but I haven't finished making all my flashcards so that is taking time as well and overall I just feel like there's a lot to remember.
wait, so your teachers just make you do the notes at home? doesn't that defeat the purpose of coming in to school? cos you have to properly understand the content as you're making notes so that when you come back to those notes they make sense - if they're just giving you powerpoints to make notes on at home then it isn't really teaching. Unless they do like stuff in lessons to make sure you guys understand what you're learning. I think if it gets too overwhelming then you should definitely tell your teacher(s) or head of year like "yo this is too much, can you guys cut us some slack?". I'm not sure about how other schools are interpreting this but my history teacher told us that the government said we won't be tested on anything we haven't learnt so they've reduced the content we have to learn and in one of the topics we're doing, they discontinued it. Tbh I'm not at sixth form yet so it might be different for you guys seeing as you're going to be needing these subjects/topics at university but if you can find out if any changes will be made to the subjects you're taking. In terms of revision, I'm just really struggling with time management so if you have any tips... (as I'm writing this I'm realising you too are struggling with time management but if there ever was a time when you easily managed your time then please provide tips :erm:). Also, if you did poetry at gcse, how did you revise all 15 poems?

Oh lord. The days of GCSEs. Time management is a tricky subject. I don't wan to tell you to make a timetable of work because pssshhhh, as if I did that. Time for me was a real struggle as well but depending on what subjects you are doing, it can really differ. I mean I did 2 creatives so I have more time to focus on other stuff rather than trying to study music or pe on top of everything else. I want to tell you to just take it easy though really because a lot of the subjects will sort themselves out. There is absolutely no point in focusing any more than an hour on one subject because you will just get bored very fast. Something that really worked well for me was just doing an hour each of two different subjects a night and would just pick and choose them based on my mental exhaustion from the day that I had had. Although, I never repeated a subject on another day in the week. If you do english on the Monday, you are not allowed to do english again later in the week. I think that just managed to keep me mentally focused. Plus don't plan you down time around your studying, plan your studying around your down time. It sounds weird but is very effected as I tried this in yr 11 after a lecture with a specialist that we had.

Also, don't study all 15. It's a waste of your time. Really though, it is. Realistically, you only really are ever gonna be asked to write about one poem from each category so it is safe to bet that you should learn 2 from each category (not sure which ones you are doing but we did love). So if you study 2, if one comes up in the category (say unrequited love) and it wants you to compare it to another unrequited love poem, you have studied 2 from that category so you will have no problem. That is why you should only study 5 quotes each from 8 different poems. Less pressure and more room for the other 20 quotes that you have to learn from each of your novels (:
Also science is kicking my ass rn :nope: We've finished all the paper 1 and paper 2 content but when I tell you cell biology is the only thing I remember... When you were revising did you immediately start with past paper questions or did you try and understand the content first? My teacher said we should revise the topics we find hardest first but I don't even remember enough of the curriculum to know which one I find hardest :bawling: Rn I'm just trying to rely on flashcards but I haven't finished making all my flashcards so that is taking time as well and overall I just feel like there's a lot to remember.

Past paper questions? What are they lol. No. Literally the only time that I ever did past paper questions was in class. I mean if it works for you then go for it but I literally didn't do any of them outside of school unless it was hw otherwise don't bother. Look at me, I still got a nine without barley understanding any of the content in physics. Do you have the CGP revision book for your exam board? When I say this, I really mean it, they are an absolute godsend. Literally taught be everything better than my physics and chem teachers. Defo worth how expensive they were. My sister uses mine now as she is in yr 10 and really struggling with science and loves them!
I am a very visual learner and flashcards are great and all but what got me through my GCSEs was A3 posters using coloured pens, felt tips and highlighters. I tried to make one for each topic so that I could condense my knowledge down to reduce the amount that I had to remember. If you would like, you could pm me some curriculum overviews and I can have a look to see if I can help you. I may even be starting my youtube up again as soon as we can get our wifi sorted so I can hopefully upload a whole load of GCSE science videos up on there seeing as it is a science specific channel. If I can't get it sorted, I can always answer any questions or explain anything to you over pm if you need it.
Oh lord. The days of GCSEs. Time management is a tricky subject. I don't wan to tell you to make a timetable of work because pssshhhh, as if I did that. Time for me was a real struggle as well but depending on what subjects you are doing, it can really differ. I mean I did 2 creatives so I have more time to focus on other stuff rather than trying to study music or pe on top of everything else. I want to tell you to just take it easy though really because a lot of the subjects will sort themselves out. There is absolutely no point in focusing any more than an hour on one subject because you will just get bored very fast. Something that really worked well for me was just doing an hour each of two different subjects a night and would just pick and choose them based on my mental exhaustion from the day that I had had. Although, I never repeated a subject on another day in the week. If you do english on the Monday, you are not allowed to do english again later in the week. I think that just managed to keep me mentally focused. Plus don't plan you down time around your studying, plan your studying around your down time. It sounds weird but is very effected as I tried this in yr 11 after a lecture with a specialist that we had.

Also, don't study all 15. It's a waste of your time. Really though, it is. Realistically, you only really are ever gonna be asked to write about one poem from each category so it is safe to bet that you should learn 2 from each category (not sure which ones you are doing but we did love). So if you study 2, if one comes up in the category (say unrequited love) and it wants you to compare it to another unrequited love poem, you have studied 2 from that category so you will have no problem. That is why you should only study 5 quotes each from 8 different poems. Less pressure and more room for the other 20 quotes that you have to learn from each of your novels (:

Thanks for the advice, I just always struggle to get done what I want to get done in a day and sometimes I have to choose between sleep or work because I constantly feel like I'm behind.. As for the poems I will deffo be using your tips cos rn I don't even know one poem lol. I honestly don't know why my school didn't just drop poetry - instead they went to go and drop Frankenstein which I feel like would have been less.
Past paper questions? What are they lol. No. Literally the only time that I ever did past paper questions was in class. I mean if it works for you then go for it but I literally didn't do any of them outside of school unless it was hw otherwise don't bother. Look at me, I still got a nine without barley understanding any of the content in physics. Do you have the CGP revision book for your exam board? When I say this, I really mean it, they are an absolute godsend. Literally taught be everything better than my physics and chem teachers. Defo worth how expensive they were. My sister uses mine now as she is in yr 10 and really struggling with science and loves them!
I am a very visual learner and flashcards are great and all but what got me through my GCSEs was A3 posters using coloured pens, felt tips and highlighters. I tried to make one for each topic so that I could condense my knowledge down to reduce the amount that I had to remember. If you would like, you could pm me some curriculum overviews and I can have a look to see if I can help you. I may even be starting my youtube up again as soon as we can get our wifi sorted so I can hopefully upload a whole load of GCSE science videos up on there seeing as it is a science specific channel. If I can't get it sorted, I can always answer any questions or explain anything to you over pm if you need it.

I have the CGP books but I think the only time I used them was when I was cramming for my mocks. I'm definitely going to try and use them more often now. (also not to sound dumb or anything but what are curriculum overviews? do you mean like topic lists?)
I have the CGP books but I think the only time I used them was when I was cramming for my mocks. I'm definitely going to try and use them more often now. (also not to sound dumb or anything but what are curriculum overviews? do you mean like topic lists?)

Yeh lol. Like a list of all the topics in the curriculum of that subject

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending