The Student Room Group

Home Office - Single Competent Authority Decision-maker

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by avacado44
Hey, I got all my clearance through and confirmed on Monday - now just waiting on a start date. Anyone else had a start date yet?

Please can you give me some advice for the interview i have mine next week thank you
Reply 81
Original post by Blossominpink
Thank you so much everybody, I was so over whelmed that I made it to the interview stage after many application rejections with civil service.

Anyhow I will let you know how I get on in a few weeks time...

Hi how did you get on with your interview?
Reply 82
Original post by Jkella
It’s turning into quite the wait but hopefully we hear something soon! I also emailed them a couple of weeks ago but haven’t had a response yet. I applied for Cardiff, what about you?

I applied for Leeds! Still waiting on any update and to receive the forms through but fingers crossed it won’t be long now! Feels like the interview and application process was a lifetime ago!
Anyone able to offer advice on the strengths questions in the interview? I've read conflicting things about them. I've heard for the behaviours questions you have about 4 minutes to give your answer and that you need to use examples in the 'star' format. Then I've heard that you only get about 3 minutes to answer the strengths questions. Do you still need to give examples for these?
Original post by avacado44
Hey, I got all my clearance through and confirmed on Monday - now just waiting on a start date. Anyone else had a start date yet?

Nope!! i would love a date...then i can finally come clean to my current job and resign ha ha
Hey everyone - I am new on the forum and not sure if I am doing this right so here goes.

I am delighted and very grateful to have made the cut and have been invited to interview for the position of SCA - Decision Maker. I haven't had an interview in a very long time. The thought of an interview is daunting enough before adding into the mix its a civil service and a pre-recorded interview.

I have NO experience of pre-recorded interviewing and feel the anticipation of not know what to expect will make me more nervous on the day. My concern, if anyone can help is that I will be more focused on what to do and the fear of the technology going wrong that I loose focus on the questions.

To anyone who has already completed the pre-recroded interview how did you find it? It is more difficult not having the a human there to bounce off? Is it easier than a face to face interview? I always prep in advance therefore any advice on how to overcome the "anticipation of not knowing and loosing focus" would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply 86
Original post by Babybiscuit
Hey everyone - I am new on the forum and not sure if I am doing this right so here goes.

I am delighted and very grateful to have made the cut and have been invited to interview for the position of SCA - Decision Maker. I haven't had an interview in a very long time. The thought of an interview is daunting enough before adding into the mix its a civil service and a pre-recorded interview.

I have NO experience of pre-recorded interviewing and feel the anticipation of not know what to expect will make me more nervous on the day. My concern, if anyone can help is that I will be more focused on what to do and the fear of the technology going wrong that I loose focus on the questions.

To anyone who has already completed the pre-recroded interview how did you find it? It is more difficult not having the a human there to bounce off? Is it easier than a face to face interview? I always prep in advance therefore any advice on how to overcome the "anticipation of not knowing and loosing focus" would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi, I am in the same situation as you, hope someome on he
Original post by Rimai
Hi, I am in the same situation as you, hope someome on he

I applied & interviewed for a few civil service jobs before I succeeded with this one but they were all in the same format-pre recorded interviews consisting of around 4/5 questions!

Sorry i can't remember the specific questions for the Home office as they have all blurred into one and as I said I did 3 interviews for various roles across civil service in a short period of time.

My top tips are to prepare in advance some examples based on the competencies listed on the advert...they go along the lines of:

*Tell us about a time when you have successfully led a team to success
*Tell us about a time where you have had to analyze data to make a decision
*Tell us about a time when you have had to deal with a difficult situation & what the outcome was
*Can you give us an example of when you have managed a project?
*Tell us about a time when you have had to stick to a strict timetable and how you managed your time
*Tell us about a time you have initiated a change in a process

I really thought I had messed up with this one as ran out of time in one of the questions...so another tip is to practice and have some prompts in form of a post it notes to jog your memory of the example! I popped them on the wall behind my laptop! Try to be calm, breathe and hit as many key words as you can. Don't be afraid to use the same examples as you used on the application form too, just expand on them & get those key words in!!!

Good luck!!
Original post by cathoops
Nope!! i would love a date...then i can finally come clean to my current job and resign ha ha

Fingers crossed it’s soon. I got an email saying they’ll send me a start date soon and I’ve just taken VR at my current job so hoping it evens out 😅
ooh great! hope i'll hear soon. still saying on the portal they are checking i haven't been sacked from civil service previously ha ha
I applied & interviewed for a few civil service jobs before I succeeded with this one but they were all in the same format-pre recorded interviews consisting of around 4/5 questions!

Sorry i can't remember the specific questions for the Home office as they have all blurred into one and as I said I did 3 interviews for various roles across civil service in a short period of time.

My top tips are to prepare in advance some examples based on the competencies listed on the advert...they go along the lines of:

*Tell us about a time when you have successfully led a team to success
*Tell us about a time where you have had to analyze data to make a decision
*Tell us about a time when you have had to deal with a difficult situation & what the outcome was
*Can you give us an example of when you have managed a project?
*Tell us about a time when you have had to stick to a strict timetable and how you managed your time
*Tell us about a time you have initiated a change in a process

I really thought I had messed up with this one as ran out of time in one of the questions...so another tip is to practice and have some prompts in form of a post it notes to jog your memory of the example! I popped them on the wall behind my laptop! Try to be calm, breathe and hit as many key words as you can. Don't be afraid to use the same examples as you used on the application form too, just expand on them & get those key words in!!!

Good luck!!

many thanks for taking the time to reply. its very much appreciated. Did you find a pre-recorded interview harder to do? I feel I will miss the cues of knowing if i am answering along the right lines. Also I assume you can see yourself? Is that not very off putting? Thanks for the tips on using an example from the application - That was something I had wondered about. Congrats on getting the job!
ooh great! hope i'll hear soon. still saying on the portal they are checking i haven't been sacked from civil service previously ha ha

🤣🤣 well that’s a positive you shouldn’t have anything to worry about!
Original post by MAGZOFELLE
Anyone able to offer advice on the strengths questions in the interview? I've read conflicting things about them. I've heard for the behaviours questions you have about 4 minutes to give your answer and that you need to use examples in the 'star' format. Then I've heard that you only get about 3 minutes to answer the strengths questions. Do you still need to give examples for these?

Strength based questions are impossible to prepare for but I’ve been told by an old manager once to try and answer them in star format if possible!
I have also secured an interview. The strength questions are very daunting! Not being able to prepare for them worries me
Reply 94
Original post by Newbie1202
I have also secured an interview. The strength questions are very daunting! Not being able to prepare for them worries me

What day do you plan to do your interview
@Rimai I'm not sure yet. You can do it any time once you've received the link, so I think I'll decide when I feel ready. Where are you applying for?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 96
@Rimai I'm not sure yet. You can do it any time once you've received the link, so I think I'll decide when I feel ready. Where are you applying for?

Hi I am applying for Birmingham how about yourself
Original post by Rimai
Hi I am applying for Birmingham how about yourself

Cardiff :smile:
Reply 98
Cardiff :smile:

Good Luck i hope it goes well for you
Reply 99
Hi all! Got my interview next week. Does anyone know how long they will take to get back to us afterwards? I applied for a work coach role back in August/September with the same application format and they got back to me 2 weeks after the interview, was thinking it might be the same?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending