The Student Room Group

Student Finance: Can you un support an application?

Hi,

So my parents have provided details for me and 2 of my siblings. However, they want to un support my oldest sibling's student finance. She's been constantly lying to us about her uni life (she stays away, and suspended a year without telling us) and has been living a 'luxury life' just based off of her maintenance loan. We don't want her to make the same mistake, and to stop her from lying to us. Is it possible to un support an application?

Also, she has applied for next year uni and finance - but we all know she's planning to drop out.

TIA.
Original post by Juuuunnneeee
Hi,

So my parents have provided details for me and 2 of my siblings. However, they want to un support my oldest sibling's student finance. She's been constantly lying to us about her uni life (she stays away, and suspended a year without telling us) and has been living a 'luxury life' just based off of her maintenance loan. We don't want her to make the same mistake, and to stop her from lying to us. Is it possible to un support an application?

Also, she has applied for next year uni and finance - but we all know she's planning to drop out.

TIA.

This is very sad. I would suggest that as a family you try support her & guide her to make better choices. Rather use your energies to help her improve her situation than cut off her cashflow. Saying that though...if she drops out her student finance will surely automatically stop anyway? I also highly doubt you can live a life of luxury on the student maintenance loan. Wishing you & your family all the best. I hope you can heal & repair relationships. Life is short.
I mean I guess your parents could send that request in writing but what good will that cause your sibling.
Original post by ZARUK2021
This is very sad. I would suggest that as a family you try support her & guide her to make better choices. Rather use your energies to help her improve her situation than cut off her cashflow. Saying that though...if she drops out her student finance will surely automatically stop anyway? I also highly doubt you can live a life of luxury on the student maintenance loan. Wishing you & your family all the best. I hope you can heal & repair relationships. Life is short.

Original post by Shirohige
I mean I guess your parents could send that request in writing but what good will that cause your sibling.

I really do appreciate your concern for my family and my sister, but we've really reached our limit with this situation. When I tried helping her, she constantly lied to us and even ran away. We then tried waiting for her and thought she needed time on her own, but that didn't work either. Almost a year later, she's just hurting my family, by constant loops of appearing and disappearing, demanding that we let her go her way. Like she even made my 9yr old brother cry, without feeling any remorse?

My parents never agreed with student finance at the beginning (because of religion and taking loans), but they agreed because they want us all to go to uni, if we wish. My sister promised a lot to them, and after breaking these promises, my parents don't see any good in this loan anymore. We're aware she can still get some loan, and she earns well from her job. I just don't want my parents' name to be tied to something they don't want, or believe will not do any good for them religiously.

But thank you for your help. I'll see if we can write in a letter to Student Finance.
Original post by Juuuunnneeee
I really do appreciate your concern for my family and my sister, but we've really reached our limit with this situation. When I tried helping her, she constantly lied to us and even ran away. We then tried waiting for her and thought she needed time on her own, but that didn't work either. Almost a year later, she's just hurting my family, by constant loops of appearing and disappearing, demanding that we let her go her way. Like she even made my 9yr old brother cry, without feeling any remorse?

My parents never agreed with student finance at the beginning (because of religion and taking loans), but they agreed because they want us all to go to uni, if we wish. My sister promised a lot to them, and after breaking these promises, my parents don't see any good in this loan anymore. We're aware she can still get some loan, and she earns well from her job. I just don't want my parents' name to be tied to something they don't want, or believe will not do any good for them religiously.

But thank you for your help. I'll see if we can write in a letter to Student Finance.

Your parents are not tied to it. The loan is 100% in your sisters name & your parents have ZERO responsibility towards payments

Quick Reply

Latest