The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi Oxford Mum,
Am thinking of applying for PPE, but am very conscious of the competition. I have 99999999998 in GCSE's and am likely to be predicted A*A*A in Politics, Divinity and Maths. I am doing Spanish as a 4th A level just now (although considering dropping it), but could get an A* prediction. My question is, am I better focusing on my extra reading (am teaching myself some economics) or doing the 4th A level. I would be very grateful for your thoughts.
Reply 381
I didn't do GCSE bio: will this be a problem when applying for straight chem?
Original post by alec333
Hi Oxford Mum,
Am thinking of applying for PPE, but am very conscious of the competition. I have 99999999998 in GCSE's and am likely to be predicted A*A*A in Politics, Divinity and Maths. I am doing Spanish as a 4th A level just now (although considering dropping it), but could get an A* prediction. My question is, am I better focusing on my extra reading (am teaching myself some economics) or doing the 4th A level. I would be very grateful for your thoughts.

Hi @alec333

Just for your information, here is the Oxford Demystified chapter for PPE:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6436380

Yes, I would definitely drop the Spanish A level to concentrate on extra reading and to follow the news and read various interesting articles.

The only problem with PPE is that it's VERY popular, so it's quite hard to get in! Do apply, and enjoy getting to know your subjects better, but do see getting in as a bonus rather than the be all and end all.
Thank you. This chapter is great and so helpful. I will drop the Spanish A level and focus on my reading. I know it’s really competitive and watched my brother get rejected after interviews last year. If I don’t try, I’ll never get in!!
Exactly @alec333.

Later on today I will be posting probably the most important Oxford Demystified chapter, how to make a successful reapplication. I truly believe that mindset is crucial to getting in, and I have taken all the winning attitudes and approaches of successful Oxford Demystified chapter writers towards tests, interviews etc and put them together in one chapter.
Original post by Oxford Mum
Exactly @alec333.

Later on today I will be posting probably the most important Oxford Demystified chapter, how to make a successful reapplication. I truly believe that mindset is crucial to getting in, and I have taken all the winning attitudes and approaches of successful Oxford Demystified chapter writers towards tests, interviews etc and put them together in one chapter.

PRSOM - this is fantastic OM, I am looking forward to reading it
in other news, there have been some changes regarding admissions tests!

geography applicants are now required to sit both sections of the TSA, and economics
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by azby1098
in other news, there have been some changes regarding admissions tests!

geography applicants are now required to sit both sections of the TSA, and economics

Excellent, @azby1098! Now, at last, you can prove your worth to the admissions tutors.

Plus, to get good A levels grades, to boost your chances even higher.
I am probably a lone wolf in the wilderness, saying that mindset is crucial to Oxbridge admissions. This can make or break your application.

With a positive mindset you will

Not be afraid of applying, if you are smart and look like you will get decent grades
Forget the Oxbridge stereotypes, they are mostly wrong
Be yourself - that's all they want to see. Don't put on a "posh" persona - most students come from state schools.
Delve as deeply as you can into your own subject - and enjoy it.
Don't worry about the competition - you may be better than them, and not realise it, Just concentrate on being the best you can be.
Oxbridge want natural intelligence and this will shine out at interview. You can't prepare for the interview, so everyone, no matter what the school, has an equal chance.

Here is the sensible advice, gleaned from Dobbo, an applicant who got into Oxford on the fifth attempt. Also I added all the best tips from our fantastic Oxford Demystified chapter writers, to show you what it takes to be a real winner.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6891280&p=93381234#post93381234
Excellent, @azby1098! Now, at last, you can prove your worth to the admissions tutors.

Plus, to get good A levels grades, to boost your chances even higher.

yes exactly!
Original post by azby1098
yes exactly!

If you get in in 2022, I will think that all my birthdays have come at once. It will be like Dobbo part II. Pink Woshette is waving her magic wand in excited anticipation!
Next week I will be showcasing some Oxford state school schemes in Oxford Demystified.

This will feature the usual favourites such as UNIQ, Target Oxbridge and Zero Gravity. If you know of any more, do shout out and I may include them too.

Thanks! :thumbsup:
If you get in in 2022, I will think that all my birthdays have come at once. It will be like Dobbo part II. Pink Woshette is waving her magic wand in excited anticipation!

Yessss!!! I am actually getting quite excited to apply now OM :biggrin:
Next week I will be showcasing some Oxford state school schemes in Oxford Demystified.

This will feature the usual favourites such as UNIQ, Target Oxbridge and Zero Gravity. If you know of any more, do shout out and I may include them too.

There's a website called insideuni with lots of information about interviews, etc, for all Oxford and Cambridge subjects which is quite helpful!
Original post by Hannah15224
There's a website called insideuni with lots of information about interviews, etc, for all Oxford and Cambridge subjects which is quite helpful!

Am looking at it now!

There is a programme called OMS - Oxbridge mentoring scheme. In 2019. 40% of their members got offers. You can see more information on their website called insight outreach.

Hey there! I am a international student in the 1st year of my igcses. A few of my peers and acquaintances suggested that, as a pvt candidate for my igcses, my application can be rejected. Its discouraging and devastating! Are such claims true. Secondly, my english is below average and hence,i wont ace the tsa essay part. Will this possibly, affect my entire status? I ll be pleased amd flattered,if you ever consider replying to this message of mine. And hopefully, with your assistance, my mind may find the tranquility that i often yearn for.
Original post by Hania33333
Hey there! I am a international student in the 1st year of my igcses. A few of my peers and acquaintances suggested that, as a pvt candidate for my igcses, my application can be rejected. Its discouraging and devastating! Are such claims true. Secondly, my english is below average and hence,i wont ace the tsa essay part. Will this possibly, affect my entire status? I ll be pleased amd flattered,if you ever consider replying to this message of mine. And hopefully, with your assistance, my mind may find the tranquility that i often yearn for.

Hello, Hania! I do not see how being a private candidate can automatically get you rejected, or put you at a disadvantage. Anyone could get rejected for any amount of reasons, and at any stage of the process.

What I would work on is your English, if you believe it is a problem. Please see below the English requirements for Oxford:

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/for-international-students/english-language-requirements

The teaching at Oxford will be in English and the TSA will also be in English, so it's always worthwhile brushing up your skills. If the TSA forms part of your application process, it's vital that you get a good mark.

I cannot unfortunately turn the key to get you into the golden gates of Oxford: that will need to come from you. However if, by taking an English course, such as the one recommended on the Oxford page, it leads to new confidence and a place at a great university, it will be time well spent, and I will be really proud of you.
I signed up to zero gravity (which I heard about on this thread) like 2 months ago, I still haven’t got any follow up emails other than confirmation of my application. I put down human sciences as my course of interest- which is obviously a pretty niche, small course, is this why I haven’t heard anything or should I try reapplying?
You should call or email Kitty Goodwin for an update. Please pass on the news to the rest of us. I am not sure if they wait until a certain date until they start recruiting the mentors again, or if, for some reason, your application has not been successful. It may indeed be because human sciences is quite niche.

Latest

Trending

Trending