The Student Room Group

Sheffield A100 / A101 2021 Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by silly mili
Hiya guys, I was wondering whether anyone could give me like a quick pros and cons list of Sheffield medical course and city from info they've found cuz i have to make a decision between Nottingham and Sheffield so any help would be much appreciated! Thanks so much and CONGRATULATIONS OF OFFERS!!

Nottingham will give their students a "free" BMedSci after 5 years - free = no additional tuition fees, no extra year.

This will give their graduates a slight advantage when it comes to post-grad medical training (not as much as a full intercalated BSc but that will cost you a year!).

But apart from that there's not much in it!

Post originally created by ecolier.
Reply 21
Hiya guys, I was wondering whether anyone could give me like a quick pros and cons list of Sheffield medical course and city from info they've found cuz i have to make a decision between Nottingham and Sheffield so any help would be much appreciated! Thanks so much and CONGRATULATIONS OF OFFERS!!

Might not be overly helpful, but I've also got offers for both and some key differences to me are Nottingham's bmedsci (although it won't count for much when we do it as it's losing its significance soon) - depends how much you like research as this seems to be the main difference course-wise; location ie distance from home but also placement locations; accommodation - lots of notts has already gone and the accommodation in general seems different to Sheffield - ie the formals in halls, how more people tend to be catered than normal (for notts), both campus unis with good selection of societies - notts is perhaps better at sport, but Sheffield seems to have a better students union, both student orientated cities, medical school close to accommodation in both but does depend on accommodation, both friendly unis. Obviously this is all very subjective and may differ for you but I hope this helps!
Reply 22
At the post interview teams meeting I was told the bmedsci will no longer give this advantage - I didn't quite understand why though but it was something to do with the uk foundation programme no longer counting them in foundation year applications
Original post by jamalam
At the post interview teams meeting I was told the bmedsci will no longer give this advantage - I didn't quite understand why though but it was something to do with the uk foundation programme no longer counting them in foundation year applications

For Foundation Training, even a full intercalated (or one that's achieved prior to med school) BSc does not count for any points any more.

I was referring to proper Specialty Training. The significance is getting less and less there too (8 points for a 1st class BSc previously, reduced to 6 points about 2 years ago).

But having more letters behind your name is never a disadvantage!

Post originally created by ecolier.
Reply 24
Oops sorry - thank you for clarifying!
when did you guys receive the email about creating a muse account? havent received anything like that yet
Original post by TheDemeaning
when did you guys receive the email about creating a muse account? havent received anything like that yet

2151BD96-D6F0-4D88-84C5-E3ECC8D9D573.jpg It says you use this to have offer days and apply for accommodation etc. So I assume you do need a link within the email they’ll send to access the accommodation sign up
(Sorry the picture is so massive :angry:)

i’m also deciding between the same two unis and i found this tsr chat debating the two med schools, might be useful for u?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2620961
(edited 3 years ago)
Congrats everyone :smile:
Original post by ng11
I visited too and it’s just a really nice vibe, as someone who comes from a very small area but on the edge of London (zone 6) it felt big enough but not overwhelming

Ayeee zone 6 gang!! Never seem to see anyone on here who’s from London but not central lol :smile:
Original post by Charlotte22722
Ayeee zone 6 gang!! Never seem to see anyone on here who’s from London but not central lol :smile:

What are prices like on the outskirts of London? I know central is pretty expensive but I’m not sure about the outskirts. I tried to avoid london since I remember it being so expensive compared to up hear in the north :redface:
wow thank you all for replying to me, you've really helped me out thank you so much!!!! I think I might be leaning toward Sheffield actually cuz I believe Nottingham hasn't been too good with clinical exposure during corona times (not really their fault tho) and I'm not sure I want to do the extra degree hahaha but honestly thank you all so much!:redface:
Hello everyone!
Original post by _lfc_annie_
What are prices like on the outskirts of London? I know central is pretty expensive but I’m not sure about the outskirts. I tried to avoid london since I remember it being so expensive compared to up hear in the north :redface:

It’s still quite expensive but no where near as bad as the city centre, you end up spending a fortune on the tube to commute in tho haha
Reply 34

Just as a reference we rent an en-suite double bedroom/ studio in our house for 750 and a single bedroom shared bath/facilities for 470 per month which is lower than a lot of our area as the tenants have been there for 5 years, so Idk if that’s expensive or not it’s certainly not expensive compared to central London as I’m literally on the last tube stop on my line
What accommodation is everyone thinking about ? I can’t decide between ranmoor or endcliffe :/
Original post by gabbaaaa
What accommodation is everyone thinking about ? I can’t decide between ranmoor or endcliffe :/

I'm leaning towards endcliffe since it looks closer to the med school and looks like it has more facilities since it's bigger than ranmoor
Hi 😊 can we apply for accommodation with an offer or do we have to firm first?
Original post by gabbaaaa

I'm leaning towards endcliffe since it looks closer to the med school and looks like it has more facilities since it's bigger than ranmoor

I'm a second year medical student at Sheffield and I stayed in ranmoor last year. It is quieter than endcliffe which I preferred. Endcliffe is bigger and it has the small shop, the Edge which has the bar, and there are more students living there which is why is louder. Endcliffe has a slightly shorter walk to the med school than ranmoor but it's pretty similar to the walk from ranmoor. From what I saw last year when I would go over to my friend's flats in endcliffe, the kitchens in endcliffe seem to be a bit smaller than the ones in ranmoor. Overall, I don't really think it matter where you are as they are just across the road from each other so it's just a few mins walk between them
can you book accomodation without making a decision on ucas first?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending