The Student Room Group

michael howard is now officially the leader of the tory party

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
NikNak
lol - vienna95 - sorry if im not quite up to your standards but im doing my best lol. You have to remember how inferrior i am to you..please forgive me almighty one lol

bearing in mind the differences in our probable CVs, its not that funny.
Reply 141
vienna95
bearing in mind the differences in our probable CVs, its not that funny.

Haha, how little you know. Anyway, as we have already established, I don't care much for your thoughts or opinions.

Enjoy living in your small, narrow minded world.
Reply 142
NikNak
I don't care much for your thoughts or opinions.

Enjoy living in your small, narrow minded world.

slightly hypocritical isnt it. and in the same post. how careless.
Reply 143
I thought Thatcherism was dead! Looks like Howard is gonna resurect it.

Poor old Tories.
Reply 144
pkonline
I thought Thatcherism was dead! Looks like Howard is gonna resurect it.

Poor old Tories.

what makes you say that?
Reply 145
Well for a start they have Lord Saatchi as a Chairman. Oh and Howard as leader.

At least the Tories recognise that the amount of work they'll have to put in to lose the next election spiritidly is a 2-man job!
From my understanding of the proposed Tory health/education vouchers, they would only be of real benefit to the already wealthy who could afford to pay the full costs anyway.
If the education voucher would be worth say £3,000 pa that is barely enough to pay one terms fees at an independent school. The only ones to benefit would be those who can top up the vouchers to pay full years fees - they would be the ones' with plenty of dosh anyway, certainly not your average family.
So I can't see that proposal being attractive enough to gain the votes of non-party followers as they could get no benefit from it.
Reply 147
Thats true. Same with health. An operation would cost around £9K but you will only get £3K so you will have to find £6K to take up the voucher.
Reply 148
Unregistered
From my understanding of the proposed Tory health/education vouchers, they would only be of real benefit to the already wealthy who could afford to pay the full costs anyway.
If the education voucher would be worth say £3,000 pa that is barely enough to pay one terms fees at an independent school. The only ones to benefit would be those who can top up the vouchers to pay full years fees - they would be the ones' with plenty of dosh anyway, certainly not your average family.
So I can't see that proposal being attractive enough to gain the votes of non-party followers as they could get no benefit from it.

the contribution from the state would be flexible and non-fixed, and based on demographic study, would dramatically open up the choice of private care to a substantial proportion of the public. youre understanding is wrong, based on guess work.
Reply 149
pkonline
Thats true. Same with health. An operation would cost around £9K but you will only get £3K so you will have to find £6K to take up the voucher.

and these figures come from?
Reply 150
vienna95
and these figures come from?

I heard it from somewhere. Private operations cost about three times as much as NHS operations so that figure is probably right.
vienna95
the contribution from the state would be flexible and non-fixed, and based on demographic study, would dramatically open up the choice of private care to a substantial proportion of the public. youre understanding is wrong, based on guess work.

So would it be means tested? If not then it's open to abuse by the extremely wealthy.
I am not the one who was guessing, rather these were figures quoted in the Independent and Times. Unless you're referring to something else.
Reply 152
pkonline
I heard it from somewhere. Private operations cost about three times as much as NHS operations so that figure is probably right.

since the consultation paper has just been concluded, i find it hard to assume that current NHS/private cost differences will be the basis for state contibution under a passport system.
Reply 153
Unregistered
So would it be means tested? If not then it's
open to abuse by the extremely wealthy.

no.

I am not the one who was guessing, rather these were figures quoted in the Independent and Times. Unless you're referring to something else.

who are guessing....
Reply 154
vienna95
since the consultation paper has just been concluded, i find it hard to assume that current NHS/private cost differences will be the basis for state contibution under a passport system.

Haven't they said that the voucher would be to the value of NHS treatment?

If it is over then that's even more shocking paying thr irch even more to go private!
Reply 155
pkonline
Haven't they said that the voucher would be to the value of NHS treatment?

If it is over then that's even more shocking paying thr irch even more to go private!

as far as im aware, the percentage of the cost has not been decided, and would not be rigidly fixed. its possible it may be between 60% (as in finland) or 85%( as in France) of the total treatment costs.

the rich pay their taxes like anyone else. they have a right to the same treatment as anyone else. by using private care, they are paying twice and actually helping those who take 'free' treatment.
Reply 156
80% of the NHS cost or total cost of treatment in private?
Reply 157
The Tories have one spokesman for health and education ie. giving half the effort. Shows you how lowly they think of public services - they have two charmen though!
vienna95
as far as im aware, the percentage of the cost has not been decided, and would not be rigidly fixed. its possible it may be between 60% (as in finland) or 85%( as in France) of the total treatment costs.

Whatever, it will not get them any more votes as the Tories are set to remain in the political wilderness for many more years. It's 'pay back time' and people have long memories!
Reply 159
pkonline
80% of the NHS cost or total cost of treatment in private?

the NHS cost.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending