The Student Room Group

Why education should be free for all?

Hello everyone in the forum,
I am a teacher, teaching at a high school in Washington, D.C., USA. In this article I will tell everyone why education should be free for all. I think that if education is free for all, it will help everyone to have access to knowledge, thereby making the people of the nation increase themselves, making the country more developed. . What about your opinion? Please share below for everyone to know, thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What level of education should this apply to? And should there be entry requirements?

I'm sure I shouldn't be allowed to walk up to brain surgeon and demand their time, even if the state would pay for them to train me.
Reply 2
Original post by TroyRoy
Hello everyone in the forum,
I am a teacher, teaching at a high school in Washington, D.C., USA. In this article I will tell everyone why education should be free for all. I think that if education is free for all, it will help everyone to have access to knowledge, thereby making the people of the nation increase themselves, making the country more developed. . What about your opinion? Please share below for everyone to know, thank you.

It is a tricky one. In theory I love the idea of free education for all, but one has to ask what the end goal of such a policy would be. One of the problems societies like the US and UK have is that there is a large section of population, predominantly traditional working classes or blue collar families who do not value education and don't see it as a way out of poverty. When you contrast this against the decline of well paid manual or semi-skilled jobs in manufacturing, you have a trap from which few escape. Simply throwing more education at the problem doesn't work.

So on the one hand yes - more education is never a bad thing but if it is there to level society and give everyone opportunity it needs to be managed very carefully because it is well documented that those who need it least are very efficient at taking free stuff from society whilst those who need it most get nothing.
I'm from the UK so don't have a great deal of knowledge about the US education system. But I think education should be state-provided up to the age of 18 (so up until sixth form here in the UK). But university and beyond ought to be part-funded by the state and part-funded by the student.

University tuition fees are £9,250 per year here, with an absurd system whereby the high interest rate means over 80% never repay within 30 years. Many use this as a case for free education for all, however I believe a fee of around £3,000 per year is more appropriate with the rest funded by the state under a reformed repayment system.

Having a completely free education system at all levels, ranging up to bachelor's degree, master's degree or even PhD wouldn't be entirely beneficial for national development as you suggest. It would encourage everyone to be in education until the age of 25 of older, resulting in a shortage of labour for jobs which do not require such a high-level education. If students wish to study for a degree, they should contribute towards the cost.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ThomH97
What level of education should this apply to? And should there be entry requirements?

I'm sure I shouldn't be allowed to walk up to brain surgeon and demand their time, even if the state would pay for them to train me.

I think this should apply to the elementary level
Reply 5
Original post by JOSH4598
I'm from the UK so don't have a great deal of knowledge about the US education system. But I think education should be state-provided up to the age of 18 (so up until sixth form here in the UK). But university and beyond ought to be part-funded by the state and part-funded by the student.

University tuition fees are £9,250 per year here, with an absurd system whereby the high interest rate means over 80% never repay within 30 years. Many use this as a case for free education for all, however I believe a fee of around £3,000 per year is more appropriate with the rest funded by the state under a reformed repayment system.

Having a completely free education system at all levels, ranging up to bachelor's degree, master's degree or even PhD wouldn't be entirely beneficial for national development as you suggest. It would encourage everyone to be in education until the age of 25 of older, resulting in a shortage of labour for jobs which do not require such a high-level education. If students wish to study for a degree, they should contribute towards the cost.

Thanks for your opinion, I think it would be a great idea to be sponsored by the state until the age of 18 if accepted. But if so, then perhaps the cost of education will be huge.
Reply 6
Original post by TroyRoy
I think it would be a great idea to be sponsored by the state until the age of 18 if accepted. But if so, then perhaps the cost of education will be huge.

So, you're putting a cost on
Original post by TroyRoy
making the people of the nation increase themselves, making the country more developed.

So what's the line? When do you say that's an acceptable cost to making the country more developed and when do you say no, the country is developed enough?

Also, your 'article' is one sentence long. Hardly stretching the rigours of education there...
Reply 7
I just want to learn more about the education of these nations
Reply 8
Do you have a slightly more compelling justification than 2 sentences? I'd have thought a teacher would have slightly more to say to back up their point??
Reply 9
Original post by Drewski
So, you're putting a cost on

So what's the line? When do you say that's an acceptable cost to making the country more developed and when do you say no, the country is developed enough?

Also, your 'article' is one sentence long. Hardly stretching the rigours of education there...

What I am saying should only apply when the country is strong enough, developed enough.
Reply 10
Original post by Napp
Do you have a slightly more compelling justification than 2 sentences? I'd have thought a teacher would have slightly more to say to back up their point??

I think two statements are enough, because besides giving an opinion, I also want to hear everyone's opinion.
Original post by TroyRoy
What I am saying should only apply when the country is strong enough, developed enough.

So if a country can't afford to educate it's people, how does it become developed...? Sounds like you're talking out of your hoop.
Reply 12
Original post by Drewski
So if a country can't afford to educate it's peopThe purpose of this article is to talk about taking education as a foundation to help the country develople, how does it become developed...? Sounds like you're talking out of your hoop.

The purpose of this article is to talk about taking education as a foundation to help the country develop
Original post by TroyRoy
The purpose of this article is to talk about taking education as a foundation to help the country develop

What article? You haven't presented one.
Reply 14
Original post by Drewski
What article? You haven't presented one.

I apologize if my post does not mention it, but the main purpose of my writing is what I said above.
If a government decides that its country cannot afford to provide "free" education to its citizens up to tertiary (undergraduate) level through general taxation then it should do two things to ensure equity:

1) Accept that the logical position that they have adopted is that education is deemed a commodity that is bought and sold and therefore if society wants access to education that was funded by a private citizen, then it must pay for it. In practice, that means things like:

- Professionals dictate the cost of their services, not government (e.g. the Law Society and the Bar Council set the rates of legal aid, teachers' unions set rates of pay that the government must pay for their services etc);
- Taxation cannot be raised over and above the average non-graduate wage for degree holding professionals;
- Non-graduates should pay supplemental fees to those who went to university for services like their children being taught, seeing a doctor or nurse or using legal aid, because they haven't contributed to those people offering such services being available.

At the moment, we have an absurd situation where non-graduates are enjoying the benefits of a society where around half of the workforce went to university without contributing their fair share to it. They enjoy these benefits by, for example, having access to doctors free at the point of use and also tend to pay less tax themselves because others have educated themselves and attracted multinationals to establish branches here that employ local populations and pay good salaries that generate good tax revenues. This even applies to very wealthy non-graduates who enjoy a better trained workforce in their local market that they can exploit for profit.

2) The government needs to ensure that access to education is equitable by making those from wealthy backgrounds pay a lot more than those from poorer backgrounds. Tuition fees should range from £1 to £100k per annum depending on background.
Original post by TroyRoy
I apologize if my post does not mention it, but the main purpose of my writing is what I said above.

I know American education is bad but I didn't realise that it was so bad even the teachers can't write more than two sentences for an "article".
It shouldn’t be
Original post by chelsea.uri
It shouldn’t be

Why not?
Original post by DiddyDec
Why not?

Because the British government gets most of their money from education-uni in particular. So if uni was free then the government would be broke and if the government is broke then the country will be broke then where do we go from there???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending