The Student Room Group

97% of young women have been sexually harassed in public places

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/uknews/14305600/all-young-women-sexually-harassed-modify-behaviour-avoid-attacked/

Do you find this surprising or unsurprising?
It seems sexual harassment is a part of everyday life

Mod note: This thread refers to sensitive topics. Please be respectful of the impact this report and discussion may have on others, and ensure all posting in this thread remains within TSR community guidelines. If you feel you may benefit from support around these events, please reach out to Childline, Samaritans or Rape Crisis.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Here's a link to the study if anyone's interested: https://www.unwomenuk.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/APPG-UN-Women_Sexual-Harassment-Report_2021.pdf
The data was collected by YouGov via survey in January 2021.
TRPzvZ.png
GzWNi9.png
I'm not sure where The Sun got its 97% / 3% figure, since that seems to explicitly contradict the figure that the paper gives, which is 86% / 14%. I suppose the moral is to always check the sources of news articles you read. The paper also mentions that a previous YouGov survey, carried out in 2017, indicated that 53% of women aged 18-24 had experienced sexual harassment (as defined in the graph above) between 2012 and 2017. The paper recommends strengthening reporting mechanisms and trying to enact social change, so that sexual harassment is more widely recognised and opposed.
Reply 2
Original post by -Imperator-
Here's a link to the study if anyone's interested: https://www.unwomenuk.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/APPG-UN-Women_Sexual-Harassment-Report_2021.pdf
TRPzvZ.png
GzWNi9.png
I'm not sure where The Sun got its 97% / 3% figure, since that seems to explicitly contradict the figure that the paper gives, which is 86% / 14%. I suppose the moral is to always check the sources of news articles you read. The paper also mentions that a previous YouGov survey, carried out in 2017, indicated that 53% of women aged 18-24 had experienced sexual harassment (as defined in the graph above) between 2012 and 2017. The paper recommends strengthening reporting mechanisms and trying to enact social change, so that sexual harassment is more widely recognised and opposed.

How is being "stared at" sexual harassment?

I think women are going a bit OTT with what they class as sexual harassment, so no wonder the reported figure is so high..
Original post by ANM775

Yeah that one might be a bit of a stretch, but even if you remove it the figure is still insanely high.
Original post by ANM775

I think women are going a bit OTT with what they class as sexual harassment, so no wonder the reported figure is so high..

Tell me about it.

I mean by the definitions on that list me (a man) was apprently sexually harrased by women. Me and some friends were standing about eating some lunch while on break at uni when a group of girls who i didnt know who i suspect were also from our uni walked past and one slapped me on the bum and said “you have a nice arse” they then giggled as they walked away. I didnt consider it sexual harrasment at the time and just said "thanks" lol but maybe i should have gone for therapy.

There are many more instances where ive been subject to something else on that list by a women, another example of the top of my head is when some drunk girl tried to kiss me at a party. Again i just put it down to drunk is as drunk does. My point is a lot of that stuff has happened to me and its trivial, its only when i actually think back after seeing a list like that do i realise how much i have been sexually harrased by women lol.

Edit - In fact just for the lols here is(off that list) ive had happen to me, most more than once. Its a wonder i dont have mental problems with all that sexual harrasment ive endured.

Cat called
stated at
followed
unwelcome touching
in person joke
been sent nudes i didnt ask for
had images taken without consent
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Djtoodles
Tell me about it.

I mean by the definitions on that list me (a man) was apprently sexually harrased by women. Me and some friends were standing about eating some lunch while on break at uni when a group of girls who i didnt know who i suspect were also from our uni walked past and one slapped me on the bum and said “you have a nice arse” they then giggled as they walked away. I didnt consider it sexual harrasment at the time and just said "thanks" lol but maybe i should have gone for theraphy.

There are many more instances where ive been subject to something else on that list by a women, another example of the top of my head is when some drunk girl tried to kiss me at a party. Again i just put it down to drunk is as drunk does. My point is a lot of that stuff has happened to me and its trivial, its only when i actually think back after seeing a list like that do i realise how much i have been sexually harrased by women lol.

It would be interesting to do a survey asking those questions to males too. Of that list, 7 of them have happened to me, although 2 of them were by men.

I think when this sort of stuff happens to males, we are less likely to report it or class it as sexual harassment. I found the majority of it trivial.
(edited 3 years ago)
In these statistics, does unwelcome sexual advances include those advances from people who they don't like and then stopped once said they were uncomfortable, or just when they have made it clear they are uncomfortable but continue to receive such comments and advances?
Reply 7
Original post by Driving_Mad
In these statistics, does unwelcome sexual advances include those advances from people who they don't like and then stopped once said they were uncomfortable, or just when they have made it clear they are uncomfortable but continue to receive such comments and advances?

It just means someone showed romantic interest in them and it was non reciprocated. whether or not they stopped after it was made clear the woman wasn't interested doesn't matter.
Original post by ANM775
It just means someone showed romantic interest in them and it was non reciprocated. whether or not they stopped after it was made clear the woman wasn't interested doesn't matter.

Oh ok.

Reading this makes me think I shouldn’t say anything like that to someone who I may like.

I’m guessing this would apply to men too like if a girl says they like the man’s body, and they don’t reciprocate the interest, that could be considered sexual harassment?
Reply 9
Oh ok.

Reading this makes me think I shouldn’t say anything like that to someone who I may like.

I’m guessing this would apply to men too like if a girl says they like the man’s body, and they don’t reciprocate the interest, that could be considered sexual harassment?

Exactly.

If you hit on a girl and she doesn't like it, it's sexual harassment. even if you immediately stop after she makes it clear she isn't interested.

and technically yeah, it should apply to men too if a girl says she likes a mans body, but in reality 95 out of 100 aren't going to think of it as sexual harassment.
Original post by ANM775
Exactly.

If you hit on a girl and she doesn't like it, it's sexual harassment. even if you immediately stop after she makes it clear she isn't interested.

and technically yeah, it should apply to men too if a girl says she likes a mans body, but in reality 95 out of 100 aren't going to think of it as sexual harassment.

Man idk what to say anymore. Now I feel like an idiot because I may have sexually harassed someone apparently.

I obviously am raising awareness about this issue on social media but I can’t believe that that is classed as sexual harassment.

I’m not going to take any risks from now on in saying anything like that in case I get arrested.
Reply 11
Man idk what to say anymore. Now I feel like an idiot because I may have sexually harassed someone apparently.

I obviously am raising awareness about this issue on social media but I can’t believe that that is classed as sexual harassment.

I’m not going to take any risks from now on in saying anything like that in case I get arrested.

If that list counts as sexual harassment then yes I too have sexually harassed someone.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that if that list counts as sexual harassment almost everyone has been guilty of it at some point.
Original post by ANM775
If that list counts as sexual harassment then yes I too have sexually harassed someone.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that if that list counts as sexual harassment almost everyone has been guilty of it at some point.

I just feel like when people talk about perpetrators etc that I’m one of them now even though I would never do any of those things listed and never have done.

I would hate for a comment like that I might have texted someone to be used against me in the future.

No risks from now on when talking to someone of the opposite gender. It feels like if you tell someone that you like them / find them attractive even though they’ve said they have a boyfriend is sexual harassment.

I find when things like this are said it diminishes actual victims.
TRPzvZ.png
GzWNi9.png

I cringed a bit when "stared at" was counted as sexual harassment like wtf, hence I doubt the stat of 97%
Reply 14
no of course i'm not surprised; i hear about harassment and the need to modify public behavior from women all the time. personally my worst experience was on Christmas Eve a few years ago a dude on the subway masturbating in front of me.

as the survey says it goes unreported because the person doesn't think reporting it would help - and it probably wouldn't because if it's a stranger and you have no evidence, who are you going to report it to and what are you going to say? as the survey also points out it goes unreported because women don't think the incident was serious enough - and maybe it wasn't serious enough to be classed as a crime, but that doesn't mean that person didn't receive unwanted attention and possibly feel unsafe, belittled or threatened.

OP if a woman says she wants to feel harassed because it would make her feel desirable, then that means it's not harassment to her. either it's not serious enough, she doesn't know what harassment is because she thinks it's normal, or she knows it's harassment and thinks she deserves it. some women also welcome domestic abuse, but that doesn't mean domestic abuse is acceptable.
Original post by The RAR
I cringed a bit when "stared at" was counted as sexual harassment like wtf, hence I doubt the stat of 97%

Yeah staring is a grey area where sometimes you think someone is staring at you but they aren’t.

Also staring isn’t always sexual, yeah it can be uncomfortable, but sexual harassment? Really?!?!
Reply 16
Original post by Joleee
OP if a woman says she wants to feel harassed because it would make her feel desirable, then that means it's not harassment to her. either it's not serious enough, she doesn't know what harassment is because she thinks it's normal, or she knows it's harassment and thinks she deserves it. some women also welcome domestic abuse, but that doesn't mean domestic abuse is acceptable.

I am not a woman, but the reason I asked that question is because I saw another woman on TSR say that before. I then thought to myself that perhaps if 97% of other women were experiencing harassment and a few arn't then yes I can see the logic in some women perhaps not feeling desirable/wanted.

I didn't think it would cause such controversy, but then i forget we're living in the snowflake era where it's cool to get offended by anything and everything.. :rolleyes:
Original post by The RAR

I don't think the 97% is accurate. The figure given in the study is 86%. I can't for the life of me see where they pulled the 97% from.
I don't think the 97% is accurate. The figure given in the study is 86%. I can't for the life of me see where they pulled the 97% from.

If you say that you are silencing women and insulting their experiences apparently...
Reply 19
I find the 97% specious but that a majority of woman have been harassed? Not overly surprising unfortunately.
One thing i am curious about though is what the metrics are that they used? After all, some would start counting, as it were, at being cat called or groped, whilst others would include such non-events as simply being looked at - so called micro aggressions and other nonsense.

Either way, that isnt to say this isnt clearly a troubling piece made no less more potent than what happened to that poor woman in London. the real question is what is to be done? After all, i wouldnt say it is seen as acceptable by many to harass woman so the usual riposte of 'educate your sons' seems a bit redundant here. The one doing the rounds on social media about holding all men responsible for the actions of a few seems somewhat egregious though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending