The Student Room Group

Undergraduate Teacher Training Funding

Hi , if I have received funding for a Degree course (4years) Childhood and Early years and have awarded with a lower award. Taking into account that if I were to apply for another degree BA in Primary Teaching would I be eligible for the funding for the 3 years as this is a teacher training course. Thank you
Original post by Unin9eb
Hi , if I have received funding for a Degree course (4years) Childhood and Early years and have awarded with a lower award. Taking into account that if I were to apply for another degree BA in Primary Teaching would I be eligible for the funding for the 3 years as this is a teacher training course. Thank you

Hi there,
In order to determine your eligibility, please confirm:

1. Which university and course you are looking to start your studies with?
2. How old you are.
3. Your nationality, current status and time spent within the UK.
4. Any previous study and qualifications you may hold.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi there,
In order to determine your eligibility, please confirm:

1. Which university and course you are looking to start your studies with?
2. How old you are.
3. Your nationality, current status and time spent within the UK.
4. Any previous study and qualifications you may hold.
Thanks, Isaac

Thank you for your reply.
1) Northumbria University, Primary Education BA (Hons) (with QTS) or Sunderland Primary Education with QTS
2) Age 22 (would be 23 if I apply for September 2022 intake)
3) British Citizen/British Pakistani and living with parents
4) Higher National Diploma (course Childhood and Early Years) and I also have A levels qualifications and GCSE and BTEC qualification
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Unin9eb
Thank you for your reply.
1) Northumbria University, Primary Education BA (Hons) (with QTS) or Sunderland Primary Education with QTS
2) Age 22 (would be 23 if I apply for September 2022 intake)
3) British Citizen
4) Higher National Diploma (course Childhood and Early Years) and I also have A levels qualifications and GCSE and BTEC qualification

Is the Northumbria one the 3 year long course? Is the Sunderland one 2 years or less?
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
Is the Northumbria one the 3 year long course? Is the Sunderland one 2 years or less?
Thanks, Isaac

Yes, both are 3 years courses
Original post by Unin9eb
Yes, both are 3 years courses

If the course was 2 years or less and non salaried then your previous study wouldn't affect eligibility.

Our guidance states: Undergraduate ITT courses of over two years Bachelor of Education (BEd) courses are usually three or four years long and a student will gain a honours degree. These courses are ITT exception courses but are subject to previous study rules as they take longer than two years to complete.

You mention you have 4 years of previous higher education study.

The calculation we use is course length + 1 additional year - minus previous study.

Your calculation with 4 years of previous study will be 3+1-4 = 0 years of funding available.
You will still receive a Maintenance Loan but you will have to self fund the course fee.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 6
Okay, thank you. Would it not be possible to receive funding for 2 years and then self fund the 3rd year?
Also how much maintenance loan would it be?
Original post by Unin9eb
Okay, thank you. Would it not be possible to receive funding for 2 years and then self fund the 3rd year?
Also how much maintenance loan would it be?

No that isn't possible as it's not an exception course. Only the 2 year course is an exception course.

You can calculate the Maintenance Loan here https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 8
Thank you so much, if I were were to have a BA Honours Qualification rather than a Higher National Diploma and enrolled into a 1 year PGCE or 1 year SCITT (unsalaried), would that make me eligible for the tuition fee student finance?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Unin9eb
Thank you so much, if I were were to have a BA Honours Qualification rather than a Higher National Diploma and enrolled into a 1 year PGCE or 1 year SCITT (unsalaried), would that make me eligible for the tuition fee student finance?

If you will be gaining Qualified Teacher Status for the first time, the course is 2 years or less and non salaried then your previous study will not affect eligibility and you can apply for full funding including tuition fees.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 10
Thank you, would I receive the maintenance loan each year of the 3 year undergraduate course?

If the course was 2 years or less and non salaried then your previous study wouldn't affect eligibility.

Our guidance states: Undergraduate ITT courses of over two years Bachelor of Education (BEd) courses are usually three or four years long and a student will gain a honours degree. These courses are ITT exception courses but are subject to previous study rules as they take longer than two years to complete.

You mention you have 4 years of previous higher education study.

The calculation we use is course length + 1 additional year - minus previous study.

Your calculation with 4 years of previous study will be 3+1-4 = 0 years of funding available.
You will still receive a Maintenance Loan but you will have to self fund the course fee.
Thanks, Isaac
Original post by Unin9eb
Thank you, would I receive the maintenance loan each year of the 3 year undergraduate course?

For an undergraduate ITT course, yes you can receive Maintenance Loan each year.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 12
For an undergraduate ITT course, yes you can receive Maintenance Loan each year.
Thanks, Isaac

Thank you for all your support.
Original post by Unin9eb
Thank you for all your support.

You're welcome :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending