The Student Room Group

I emailed my placement moderator from university and this was the response I got

I emailed the placement mkderater at my uni who comes in now and again to check that were all doing what we should be. I told her I’m not really feeling too happy here. She asked me a bunch of unrelated questions and then I said this is affecting my mental health and this was her response

“To be honest, wait and see for a while as full time in school will bring different experiences. Don't look for the 'self fulfilling prophecy' and look for the positives. Contact
Counselling Services if you'd like to discuss matters further. Ask the mentors if and when you'll be having cpd sessions with other trainees in the school.”

Was this a fair or helpful response ?
Sounds like it. What was the alternative?

Just my 2p, but going down the 'mental health issues' route with an employers/institution can open a big can of worms, and it sounds a bit like your placement moderator is lowkey warning you about this.
It’s an entirely helpful response

You are asked to wait and see what happens when school is running normally and contact support if you’re struggling

What did you want?
Original post by StriderHort

Just my 2p, but going down the 'mental health issues' route with an employers/institution can open a big can of worms, and it sounds a bit like your placement moderator is lowkey warning you about this.

I'm at uni. It's not a huge deal loads of people use hr
Original post by paperclip90
I'm at uni. It's not a huge deal loads of people use hr

Yeah I knew it was a uni/vocational placement. I do not know what 'hr' is in this context though, I assume not Human Resources?

Like i'm not trying to say you can't have mental health issues or seek assistance for them. But it's generally something that can't be taken back once formally said and tends to trigger a lot of responses, not all of them helpful or positive and it's entirely possible you might find yourself wishing you hadn't said anything.
Yeah I knew it was a uni/vocational placement. I do not know what 'hr' is in this context though, I assume not Human Resources?

Like i'm not trying to say you can't have mental health issues or seek assistance for them. But it's generally something that can't be taken back once formally said and tends to trigger a lot of responses, not all of them helpful or positive and it's entirely possible you might find yourself wishing you hadn't said anything.

It doesn’t change anything because it’s completely seperate from the course and I have external support
It’s entirely your choice.
What matters is that you have found ways to manage your mental health and have support
Take care
Reply 7
I emailed the placement mkderater at my uni who comes in now and again to check that were all doing what we should be. I told her I’m not really feeling too happy here. She asked me a bunch of unrelated questions and then I said this is affecting my mental health and this was her response

“To be honest, wait and see for a while as full time in school will bring different experiences. Don't look for the 'self fulfilling prophecy' and look for the positives. Contact
Counselling Services if you'd like to discuss matters further. Ask the mentors if and when you'll be having cpd sessions with other trainees in the school.”

Was this a fair or helpful response ?

You have posted a number of posts on here all with the same theme. Is there anything we can do to help? You don't appear to be having a very fun time.
Original post by hotpud
You have posted a number of posts on here all with the same theme. Is there anything we can do to help? You don't appear to be having a very fun time.

I’m not having the best time. My mental health is not great but I just know I have to plough through I guess. Sorry I keep posting. Sometimes it’s nice to have an outlet
Original post by hotpud

I thought that too. OP I just hope this is the right career for you, your health is worth so much more.
Original post by Dragon24
I thought that too. OP I just hope this is the right career for you, your health is worth so much more.

It’s not the career so much it’s the placement

I've wondered about this issue before. Do you think flagging MH issues at work should be avoided?

On my placement i had the same issue but didn't mention it to my uni. It was really difficult. My advice at least is to avoid burnoutt and remember you are a student and are not expected to be perfect. They should be patient with you.

If it's a toxic work atmosphere or some fault with the working environment you could mention that to your uni instead and might get a different response.

If it's the general pressure and life change causing you MH problems, try connecting to your fellow students on placement to share experiences or seek counseling suggested by uni. You definitely aren't alone with this. :smile:
Original post by xxx0xxxo
On my placement i had the same issue but didn't mention it to my uni. It was really difficult. My advice at least is to avoid burnoutt and remember you are a student and are not expected to be perfect. They should be patient with you.

If it's a toxic work atmosphere or some fault with the working environment you could mention that to your uni instead and might get a different response.

If it's the general pressure and life change causing you MH problems, try connecting to your fellow students on placement to share experiences or seek counseling suggested by uni. You definitely aren't alone with this. :smile:

I’ve told my placement school. At the end of the day if I start having a panic attack mis lesson and they don’t know what’s happening I’ll have to admit it at some point.

Glad it's not the career, just wanted to make sure you were alright.
Reply 15
I’m not having the best time. My mental health is not great but I just know I have to plough through I guess. Sorry I keep posting. Sometimes it’s nice to have an outlet

Of course. Trainee years are wierd. Despite being surrounded by people you are very much alone.Hang in there. Only 3 more months or so.
I’ve told my placement school. At the end of the day if I start having a panic attack mis lesson and they don’t know what’s happening I’ll have to admit it at some point.

I think with panic attacks you definitely need support, however they can definitely stop happening once you understand how to cope with them so i think leaving your placement wouldn't be necessary. Plus when they stop being a problem you may regret not completing it (if you are thinking of leaving). I have definitely dealt with many PAs in my life if you wanna dm me feel free.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending